Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
They are not used. They are refurbished. There's a difference. You should learn about the refurbishment process.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
  • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
  • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
  • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
  • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
  • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
  • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
  • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
  • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
  • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
  • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

I get what you are saying but at the end of the day it is still USED you can call it a different names all you want but it is still USED!

"A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do.."

I know they do...if your picky as me..OCD to the fullest here =) !!! I know some ppl here can careless about small scratches here and there but when I buy something with my hard working money I only expect the TOP NOTCH quality...! I need my Mac to be in pristine condition out of the box BRAND NEW!!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know they do...if your picky as me..! I know some ppl here can careless about small scratches here and there but when I buy something with my hard working money I only expect the TOP NOTCH quality...!
If you don't want to buy a refurb, that's certainly your right. However, they represent a good value and rarely show any signs of wear. In some cases, they were items that were returned without ever being opened. I've bought several refurbished products over the years and have never seen a single blemish on any of them. Many others have reported the same. It is irresponsible to tell people it's not smart to buy refurbs, especially if you have no personal experience with refurb products.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yes, it's used. For how long - who knows?

The important thing to remember is that it MAY have blemishes. They rarely do, but they can do if the refurbishing tech missed something. If it does come marked, you can return so there's no real risk.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Seriously. Some people around here unbox a rMBP, run the terminal command, find out it's an LG screen and return it. New enough for me. It's OCD people like Mac-Tech that return stuff for the slightest of problems, giving many of us an excellent discount on a refurb. And when I go to sell, the "new" system will have no greater resale value than the "refurb".

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
That's what I want. 2.6Ghz/16GB/512GB SSD.

If you're looking at refurbs for that config, wait until the next refresh. With dropping SSD prices, you're probably a short number of months away from getting that machine newer and better for a similar price.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
If you're looking at refurbs for that config, wait until the next refresh. With dropping SSD prices, you're probably a short number of months away from getting that machine newer and better for a similar price.
Thanks, I'm considering it. Not sure I want to wait another 6-8 months for a new Mac though; my 4-year old MacBook Pro is getting very long in the tooth.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Thanks, I'm considering it. Not sure I want to wait another 6-8 months for a new Mac though; my 4-year old MacBook Pro is getting very long in the tooth.

If Tuesday's event turns out the way we expect, this 1+ year refresh cycle might be broken. 6 months in Mac days (based on how they date well) is nothing anyway.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Seriously. Some people around here unbox a rMBP, run the terminal command, find out it's an LG screen and return it. New enough for me. It's OCD people like Mac-Tech that return stuff for the slightest of problems, giving many of us an excellent discount on a refurb. And when I go to sell, the "new" system will have no greater resale value than the "refurb".

HA HA your funny I never bought the RMBP! Not yet! But I will soon =) I personally want a LG screen so in that case I wont be doing any returns!!

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
So let's see...

rMBP 2.6/8/512 refurb $2379 + tax for me = $2605
rMBP 2.6/8/512 MacMall = $2787

Save $182... this is actually better than many refurb comparisons... still, not a huge savings..

cMBP refurb 2.6/8/750 $2046 after tax
cMBP 2.6/8/750 $2119 Mac Mall
$73 difference !

MAin advantage of refurb... 14 day return is easy :).. macmall -- never tried.

Last edited:

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
So let me get this if you buy a refurbished RMBP laptop your saying there won't be any dents or scratches on them?? Like for example where all the ports are to plug in connections...?? Are you saying they will be in MINT MINT condition like its BRAND NEW? For some reason I find this hard to believe...

They must be Apple employees or crazed stockholders who think they're going to retire fifteen years early.

Obviously these laptops are the very same ones we have been reading of here. The people who returned two three even six Retina MacBook laptops for image retention scratches and dead pixels.

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012

You want the config I have. You're going to wait a little while longer to see that config in the 'refurb' section.

Braniff747SP

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Los Angeles, California, USA
[/COLOR]

Not always perfect....usually minor nicks and scratches on them...
Regardless you get it with the NEW laptop purchase..
You can purchase the Applecare with NEW RMBP
No one here knows really how well the USED laptops have been inspected...
How can you prove that? QA Testing has passed better then a line production..no one knows this??

Overall buying USED of anything is a risk...Once tampered with and played around with...its NEVER the say as a NEW product....

----------

Ppl who send back their RMBP's with LG or Samsung screen or creaks and noises or fan too loud or heats up too much..WELL GUESS what there all being refurbished and reSOLD to ppl for $100-200 less..in my books that is not worth it all!! Just use the STUDENT DISCOUNT and get $100 off the NEW RMBP's..

Absurd. Refurbished is not used. I've bought several refurbished items from Apple and have never had any physical damage; I know others that have done the same and I have never seen any 'nicks and scratches', let alone 'usually'. Frankly, it is better than new: it has been fixed and tested, therefore guaranteed to work. You don't get that with a new device.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Absurd. Refurbished is not used. I've bought several refurbished items from Apple and have never had any physical damage; I know others that have done the same and I have never seen any 'nicks and scratches', let alone 'usually'. Frankly, it is better than new: it has been fixed and tested, therefore guaranteed to work. You don't get that with a new device.

Some part(s) of it were likely used, but it's not guaranteed.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
These are usually the systems returned within the 14 day return window. So they are hardly used. They are tested thoroughly, repaired as needed and cosmetics corrected. Full warranty, Applecare eligible. I have yet to read about anyone buying a refurb that has any dings, scratches, or hardware troubles. They are mint in every way.

***This thread has gone on waaaay longer than it needed too.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
If I were purchasing today, I would buy a refurb. However, I feel like the 3 months I've had mine is totally worth the $250 cost difference vs waiting...

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
I know they do...if your picky as me..OCD to the fullest here =) !!! I know some ppl here can careless about small scratches here and there but when I buy something with my hard working money I only expect the TOP NOTCH quality...! I need my Mac to be in pristine condition out of the box BRAND NEW!!!

They are flawless, I bought new and refurb, no difference. Inspected the refurbs every single square inch, still flawless.
Apple puts that as a disclaimer in their Refurbishing process description just cover any eventuality but again, they are flawless.

And please, I would like people to stop saying OCD, it is really a completely different thing.

----------

These are usually the systems returned within the 14 day return window. So they are hardly used. They are tested thoroughly, repaired as needed and cosmetics corrected. Full warranty, Applecare eligible. I have yet to read about anyone buying a refurb that has any dings, scratches, or hardware troubles. They are mint in every way.

***This thread has gone on waaaay longer than it needed too.

I agree 100%

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I don't think they've ever actually been in stock yet. They have the products up on the Apple store but they always show out of stock.

I've been checking RefurbMe almost every day since they put the products up but they're still not listed on that which means that their site hasn't actually seen them in stock (I think they show everything that's been in stock at any time during the last month or so). Been checking both the US and Irish refurb stores.

I'm guessing Apple is holding them back until after the holidays, they probably want to make the most money they can on them without having to compete with their own refurbs.

hypobid

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Me too.

Although I can't wait for the non-refurbs.... So I doubt I will be able to wait to the refurbs. lol

My local Best Buy has an open box 13" rMPB with 256 GB hard drive on sale for $1637. Sounds like a pretty good deal on the surface, but if you add in taxes, you're looking at about $1775.

You can pick up this exact same model, brand new, via MacMall for $1,859.98, no tax (if you live in a state where MacMall does not charge taxes, of course), plus free shipping.

Here's a link to Best Buy's open box inventory:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Clearance/Deals-Near-Me/pcmcat254400050000.c?id=pcmcat254400050000

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
That's not a great deal anyway, Fry's had brand new 13" rMBP's for $1499 on Black Friday.

I would have got one for that price if I could have got it delivered to Ireland :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.