Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
I was just wondering, if apple had started off with a goal in mind, let's say it had already planned to support the iPhone 3GS and above when It started developing iOS 6.

Perhaps the reason why apple deciding not to bring any dramatic user-interface changes was because it wanted to support the iPhone 3GS, which given the hardware limitations will be unable to handle. No way is Apple ever going to compromise on the usability of the system just to push out a new UI. In addition, if people like many of us here at the forums was expecting a UI change, it is highly unlikely that Apple had not considered this in the planning stages.

Therefore I think that Apple may be deciding to push back the UI improvement to iOS 7 or later when it drops support for the 3GS & maybe the iPhone 4. IMO, only the newer hardware like the 4S & the new iPhone will be able to support this newly enhanced UI.

gpatrick15

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So what happens when iOS 7 and iOS 8 come along with the same UI design? It's not that the older hardware can't support a UI change (it probably can, and if not, Apple would just want them to upgrade anyway), it's that Apple is convinced that their way is the gold standard. And with the amount of sales they get each year, it's hard to argue with it. People are still buying it, with the same ol' UI. I don't think it's bad, I just think it's a little on the blah side at this point. But it works tremendously, which is one of the main selling points of Apple products.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
There is a substantial amount of UI change in iOS 6. Apple will never radically change iOS UI; they have a winning formula and will continue to make minor alterations to keep users happy.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
There is a substantial amount of UI change in iOS 6. Apple will never radically change iOS UI; they have a winning formula and will continue to make minor alterations to keep users happy.

Like what?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Like what?

They significantly changed the gradients in the header bars, toned down the pinstripes, updated the Share menus, made the navigation buttons flatter, totally redesigned the App Store and iPod, revamped the Weather app look, and themed the Camera as black. And much more. There is a slideshow out there somehow showing all the changes. It's definitely noticeable system-wide, and makes the OS feel more modern and refined.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Adding more customization with color choices and themes would go a long way.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
They significantly changed the gradients in the header bars, toned down the pinstripes, updated the Share menus, made the navigation buttons flatter, totally redesigned the App Store and iPod, revamped the Weather app look, and themed the Camera as black. And much more. There is a slideshow out there somehow showing all the changes. It's definitely noticeable system-wide, and makes the OS feel more modern and refined.
I don't think a re-theme of the UI exactly counts as an over-haul. What the OP has in mind is a change like Windows Phones have shown, not just new gradients and less pinstriping after 5 years (discounting what they took from the jailbreak community).

My thinking is like others: Apple has a cash cow here and they going to do as little as possible as long as the cash keeps rolling in. So stand in line kids, you're helping keep the iPhone and iOS blasé for another generation.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm mostly happy with iOS as it is, but I would love to be able to add widgets to the homescreen. Also would like to see live-updating icons.

Widgets a la:

ios%2B5%2Bwidget.png

Could go a long way with 3rd party support.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
It doesn't have anything to do with supporting the 3gs, the one guy was right saying that apple believes the way that they have it now is already perfect. I feel like they don't need to accommodate the 3gs any more since it came out over 3 years ago and very few people keep a phone for that long. I am pretty sure they do the same things with the mac books, where you cant install the new OS on a two year old computer. Apple will always try to convince you to get the newest hardware by not allowing the new software to come to your device.

I believe that they will stop selling the 3gs when the new iphone comes out. There is no reason for them to continue to make a 3 year old phone. The 4 will become the free phone with 8gb and the 4S will be like $100. I would be surprised any other way.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
:confused:

It's still one of the better selling smartphones on the market...
Agreed. Each successive OS can still run on it because they keep it so simple.

By this fall, though, the iPhone 4 will be pretty long in the tooth, so it may take the place of the 3GS...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Agreed. Each successive OS can still run on it because they keep it so simple.

This is the reason why I secretly dislike the 3GS and its continued support. I personally think it is what held Apple back with iOS 6 and have been saying so since the keynote. I have noticed a lot of others catching on as well. :cool:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm sorry, but that is fugly.

It was a proof of concept, likely slapped together in a few seconds, not an art submission meant to be beautiful (have a look at Apple's patent submissions LOL!). I have seen plenty of widgets that are quite beautiful. Take a look at the stuff preloaded on the Nexus 7. Very pretty.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I'm mostly happy with iOS as it is, but I would love to be able to add widgets to the homescreen. Also would like to see live-updating icons.

Widgets a la:

Could go a long way with 3rd party support.

That would be awesome.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Widgets:

The assumption that I want to see whatever content an app pushes at me in that moment

Sometimes I have time to loiter around on my phone and update on all new info (usually in my wake up ritual in the morn)

But jesus, I don't need all my info in my face like windows tiles style.

That's really the fundamental mental lapse in the Windows' designers brains that will cause the platform to fail.

With iOS, it has the badge icon and that's sufficient. You've shown me there's something there, I will check it when I need to or decide to or have time.

It's too much otherwise, I don't want that clutter in my face. Even the notification pane is redundant although I can see how someone else could use it.

When they do too much it takes away from the experience IMO.

The only thing I would care for is instant wifi and brightness toggle.

You can't improve on maximum simplicity exept by going backwards and it's usually not neccesary to sacrifice what simplicity you would need to to get some gimmicky advantage.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Widgets:

The assumption that I want to see whatever content an app pushes at me in that moment

Nobody assumes you want to see them. You see, widgets are optional, completely. But there are people that would like to see them. I don't mind seeing the first three things on my schedule, the daily forecast, and the first few emails that came in while I was sleeping, grabbing breakfast, using the rest room, etc. Allow me to have that if I want, and I allow you to NOT have that if you DON't want. See how choice is good? :)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I was just wondering, if apple had started off with a goal in mind, let's say it had already planned to support the iPhone 3GS and above when It started developing iOS 6.

Perhaps the reason why apple deciding not to bring any dramatic user-interface changes was because it wanted to support the iPhone 3GS, which given the hardware limitations will be unable to handle. No way is Apple ever going to compromise on the usability of the system just to push out a new UI. In addition, if people like many of us here at the forums was expecting a UI change, it is highly unlikely that Apple had not considered this in the planning stages.

Therefore I think that Apple may be deciding to push back the UI improvement to iOS 7 or later when it drops support for the 3GS & maybe the iPhone 4. IMO, only the newer hardware like the 4S & the new iPhone will be able to support this newly enhanced UI.

they're never going to radically change the UI of the iPhone. They made some pretty major UI tweaks with this version (iOS 6), including changing the color matching of the top bar, and an iPod refresh

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
they're never going to radically change the UI of the iPhone. They made some pretty major UI tweaks with this version (iOS 6), including changing the color matching of the top bar, and an iPod refresh

Notification center was the most Major UI change I think iOS has ever seen, alongside perhaps twitter and upcoming facebook integration. Now if we could only add widgets to it!

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
UI change is needed but I wouldnt be surprised if Apple doesnt do so. They love their UI and it sells millions.

Jailbreaking is a great way to help those of us who want more out of our iPhone. It may just have to always be that way...

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Large UI changes in iOS will have to come from new features that demand a new way of interacting with data.

Apple does widgets in OS X and they haven't really taken off. Mobile devices need to be more conservative in power usage so widgets aren't likely a good strategy.

I think we'll see some big new features coming that will necessitate changes to the UI but at this point theres still work to be done honing the gestures just right. Simplicity is key as well as speed of navigation.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Large UI changes in iOS will have to come from new features that demand a new way of interacting with data.

Apple does widgets in OS X and they haven't really taken off. Mobile devices need to be more conservative in power usage so widgets aren't likely a good strategy.

I think we'll see some big new features coming that will necessitate changes to the UI but at this point theres still work to be done honing the gestures just right. Simplicity is key as well as speed of navigation.

I guess the last line has been, & always will be, Apple's way of thinking when it comes down to designing iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.