iPhone XS Regret? I wanted a cheap iPhone and I ended up with an iPhone XS 256 GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phido, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

If I was ballin on a budget i'd probably not even worry about higher ends at this point. I mean you can get an iPhone 7 or 7 plus and it'll work fine unless of course theres a defect or something.

and it'll pretty much do everything. i mean bokeh? really? that's become the hot new feature in 2018?

i miss the days when facetime was a new feature. or 3G. or the iPhone 5 which was just ludicrous compared to the 4.

now we just see new colors and few things that are need be for some but i mean i wan't something revolutionary.

the iphone X was pretty great though to me that was revolutionary tbh

2. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Ok admittedly I have brought every iPhone model so I’ll realistically wait 3 yrs which is long for me. The differences between 2 generations are to little these days.

3. DJ_Smith macrumors regular

DJ_Smith

Son! Life is just so precious. Don’t waste it deciding on a phone you should have or not.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Bro, Gb wise Apple are pretty good now. Whether it’s 64 or 256 you’re getting a lot of storage either way. Just base the decision on your previous purchases. If you found yourself using more than 50Gb go for 128, otherwise stick with 64. 256 is overkill for a lot of consumers, but again if someone has used a lot in the past, they most likely will again.

Iv never needed more than 64GB my self personally, but if the time comes where I NEED more storage, then I’ll upgrade. Options are good.

5. dstew201, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

dstew201 macrumors 6502

dstew201

Good points.. it's all about usage... If I planned on keeping my phone long-term 3+ years, then I'd max it out. But, since I usually upgrade yearly, 256GB seems to be my sweet spot.

Now when it comes to TVs, I ALWAYS get the biggest\best I can afford.. I've never gone back and complained that I've should have gotten the smaller set!!! Never!

OTOH, my wife would probably complain!! But she's from an alternate universe! :confused:

6. pt3000 macrumors newbie

pt3000

Lol. Play with it for a couple of days and return it for the XR 128gb. Problem solved.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You have until January 8, 2019, holiday extended return policy (check your receipt, the last date is printed for any returns), to enjoy the phone. Maybe, by then you will love it to keep it.

https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

8. rwh63 macrumors member

i went in the opposite direction and bought a new SE w/32 GB of storage (low for some) for $80. no interest in chasing hi tech for $700-$1500 for a phone. how much better are they anyway?

9. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

If you’re asking that question then you’ve definitely done the right thing.

10. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

For the price you can't beat that

Still runs iOS. One handed and disappears in your pocket

SE has a special place. Only
    Phone I've ever bought twice but the price factored in. Got my 2nd for that amount too couldn't resist
    Paid full price for my first and still fiddle with it o iOS 10

11. MacLappy, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

MacLappy macrumors 6502

Hi OP you should return it and get an XR in 128gb because,

1. You did not intend to spend so much in the first place and the XR is the best value for the money at the moment, you will still be getting all the fancy new stuff like the A12 processor, the new camera with a bigger, deeper sensor(working with the A12 to product those amazing high dynamic range shots), amazing screen to body ratio, best stereo separation in a smartphone, face id and also the longest battery life even in an iPhone.

2. As you have stated, 128gb is the prefect size for not much more money. Totally agree with you. 128gb is prefect for me and from what you are saying, also for you.

3. The zoom lens does not kick in as often as most people think it does, it depends on the lighting condition. So unless you take a lot of sunlit pictures it’s not really going to matter.

4. The iPhone XR is the spiritual successor of the non plus size iPhones. In that it has the same PPI of 326 but more importantly requires only 2x render to draw on the screen compared to 3x render on the plus size iPhones, X, XS, XS Max. This means it requires less resources(cpu/gpu, ram, power, heat dissipation) to render an image on the screen. On screen benchmarks are showing that the iPhone XR is able to maintain the highest FPS be a good margin compared even to the XS and XS Max. It is currently the best iPhone for playing games, in terms of FPS and also length of gaming time before needing a recharge. Moreover with the current excess of power in the XR, it would probably be supported for a long time to come, considering it is the only 2x render device with not only the A12 processor but also 3gb of ram.

5. Many reviewers have tested all the latest iPhone and almost everyone is recommending the XR as the iPhone to buy. Most are saying the difference is not worth the additional $250. Something you have notice yourself. Totally agree with the majority of reviewers out there. The only noticeable difference would be the telephoto lens which works occasionally depending on how well lit the place is. For me, that’s not worth an additional $250. This is not even counting the top up to get 256gb since 128gb is not an option.

6. You don’t seem to have a problem with the size of the XR, as it turns out to be more manageable then you originally thought it was. So going with the XR would mean going with the biggest screen you find manageable.

7. So many beautiful color option. Mine is blue.

8. Most importantly, it’s good financial discipline to not over spend. Once you get into the habit of spending more than you sensibility should, it will inevitably lead to future heartaches. Seen too many people get caught in this trap.

12. evoixdan macrumors newbie

Sleep on it. If you wake up and the first thing you think of tomorrow is that iphone, I think you should keep it.

I just bought a 256 XS max and used Verizon’s phone upgrade plan. I came from an iPhone 7. Before that I had a 6 plus.

I was NOT satisfied at all with the 7. Seemed like it was slightly better than my 6 plus.

This new XS max has made me happy to own an iPhone again.

For anyone curious, if you have the grandfathered UDP, you CAN keep it while also taking advantage of Verizon’s device payment plan. Just did so today.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

If you regret it straight away then the chances are that regret will resurface again at some point. Return it and buy an XR or 8+ that provides a very similar experience for a lot less.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Part of me thinks that the 2019 iPhone XS will be discounted , and I mean in the sense that they reduce the price of how it starts. With the amount of scrutiny that Apple is facing for their prices for their phones, and now that they are not reporting iPhone figures anymore, they have to make a move somewhere to keep the market ‘alive’ in the sense of enticing those to upgrade. And the only way to really do that is by price reduction, not by adding new features or hardware for the same price points.

15. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

Just buy a mint used 256gb 8 plus. Saves you a lot of money and it's a fantastic phone. That's what I did.

Screen is crisper than on the Xr, that's why I returned the Xr and went with the 8 plus.

16. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

I agree. The XR will be such a big improvement over the 6s you'll never miss the XS. And the much-maligned but absolutely beautiful XR display (almost every reviewer has conceded that the display, despite its specs, is terrific) will likely be more durable over time. And then there's the difference in price, with the XR 128 probably being the best iPhone deal in years.

17. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

In my opinion, if you are this undecided, the purchase was a mistake. These phones are priced way to high for anyone to be undecided. You would be better off with the XR 256GB. Apple is offering more at the moment for trade in's which wil also help you save some money.

18. phido, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

phido thread starter macrumors newbie

phido

I slept on it for a night and I decided to keep the 256GB XS. I didn’t buy it in the US so there is no trial period unfortunately.

Although it’s very expensive for a phone, the financial impact on my life is minimal. I can always skip eating out a few times.

I realized that the iPhone is an incredibly important tool in my life. I’m using at it more than 5 hours a day. It’s worth it to spend extra to get the phone I really desire.

I do prefer the smaller size of the XS. The XR with a protective case would be too big I fear.

I don’t need 256 GB but 64 GB is a bit on the small side for me. Micromanaging sucks.

Also I don’t want to go to the Apple store and go through the same agonizing experience again

--- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2018 ---
    Good things about the XS
    - I love the gesture based interface. When I had an iPhone 4 I would jailbreak it and add gestures. So this is really the perfect OS for me.
    - it’s incredibly smooth

Bad points
    - the battery life is quite disappointing (although I expected it). Better than the 6S but I definitely need to charge it in the evening.
    - with a case (Ringke Onyx) it becomes quite big.
    - the telelens doesn’t work for portrait photos of close objects.

19. piimacmn macrumors newbie

I upgraded from a 5S to the Xs 256. Holds all the music I have (copied from my iMac) and many GBs of photos, etc., etc. On a recent trip, I took MANY photos of wonderful quality; many photos in museums where it's quite dark of course. Never using a flash was never a problem and photos seemed to be brighter than the view was in true life! What a wonderful camera. Often used the 2x 'button'. Fits easily in my pocket which was a big worry. If you're going to keep this phone for 3-5 years, why cheat yourself. Of course, if you're not taking many pics or don't have a lot of music to carry with you, your needs/wishes might be completely different.

On the other hand--how much are your carrier's fees each month? Maybe a cheaper plan with less data that you might not be using anyway each month could free up enough cash to make a higher priced phone not such a burden. The plan I could wish for and what I actually do have easily amounts to over $500 a year difference--year after year after year! Of course this is me and NO regrets for my Xs purchase.

20. phido thread starter macrumors newbie

phido

I take tons of pictures too. With my normal camera (Canon g7x mark II) it has happened quite often that I ran out of storage space on the SD card. Not a pleasant experience if you still need to shoot the rest of the day.

I don’t have a monthly plan so I paid the full price.

21. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Should of gone for the Max! Better battery life, bigger screen and looks more upscale due to size!

22. phido thread starter macrumors newbie

phido

I used to have a galaxy note 3 but I thought it was too big!

23. pt3000 macrumors newbie

pt3000

Dang no trial period sucks. Well the money is spent, enjoy your phone. Take care of it and keep it for the next 3yrs to get your money’s worth. Don’t try to upgrade to the new phone next year and spend MORE money

24. Zelda Chestnut macrumors newbie

Well, now that you bought it, why don't you see how you feel after using it and having it for a week or so? I have the XS and I love it. The general consensus online is that the XS isn't worth it, and I don't really understand why that is. It's a great size that doesn't cross into phablet territory, the camera is amazing, the screen is amazing, and it has gigabit-LTE, and I have found that since they've fixed the connectivity issues that my LTE seems pretty speedy. Maybe its all in my head, but I've had no problems after that initial issue regardless.

Also, for me, I plan on keeping this thing for years unless something drastic happens. The only thing massive I see on the horizon is 5G, but even that I currently question - everything I do on my phone seems to load up almost instantly on my phone with LTE. These phones have the power of computers now -- another thing that people generally forget about.

So, I say enjoy it :) -- unless it really isn't worth it to you, then just swap out for the XR lol.

Edit: keep in mind that the XR lacks 3D Touch, too, if that's something you're used to having.

25. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

If you have an issue with the price it seems like an easy decision.