iPhone XS Regret? I wanted a cheap iPhone and I ended up with an iPhone XS 256 GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phido, Dec 1, 2018.

1. RodDavies macrumors regular

RodDavies

I would say "it still is JUST a phone". A good one, yes with some added attributes, no doubt. But Apple have priced these things as Luxury Goods, not "merely" a premium product. Plenty of other manufacturers have really REALLY nice alternatives at mere mortal pricing, rather than Kardashian pricing.

2. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I guess the same argument can go with any other product really, such as designer clothes, shoes, expensive cars. People pay for something if it’s worth to them even when cheaper options are available out there.

3. davedvdy macrumors 6502

Those manufacturers are all competing with each other tooth and nail since they are running the same mobile OS (Android), and that's the difference. There isn't any exclusivity of Android any more than Windows on desktop computers. I'm not crazy about the pricing, but that's the reality of this.
    Even Google has to compete with itself when it releases Pixel phones, since their OS runs on so many other phones by other manufacturers.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s not just Apple facing the influx of pricing, it’s Samsung as well with their smart phones with prices. As I mentioned, the tech sector in general seems to be stagnated and saturated in the market currently. The only way that’s going to change is offering pricing alternatives and more structure for the consumer.

5. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

This is the flip side of carrier subsidies. Bring me back subsidies, two year contracts and unlimited data. I want a top tier iphone to cost $399, like the good old days.

6. bizzle, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

bizzle macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with my $224 Essential PH-1 with 128GB of storage. Sure, it has it's quirks, but in a lot of ways it's great. Yeah, I got it on a deal, but even at closer to $400 they were going for, it's was still a great buy. Spending $1000+ on a phone no matter how great the camera is, how neato xyz feature is, regardless of storage capacity is just straight up insane.

Unfortunately Apple has locked a lot of people into hundreds of dollars of music, video, apps and such that they can only run on iOS, so switching to Android isn't that easy.. but I don't spend money on things that are phone specific so it was easy for me and there are tons of great phones in the $200-500 price range.

I am not trying to make this Android vs iOS, but at least with Android you can get a great phone at every price point and not have to get the model that is already three years old and still pay $450+ for it.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I wish we had that even back then! We’ve always had to pay for our iPhones.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Even those of us locked into iOS don’t have to buy the priciest iPhone though. A lot of people are buying older devices, the XR or keeping phones longer than previously. This aggressive pricing is changing the way people upgrade but the consumer is perhaps the only party who isn’t losing at this point. The landscape is changing and Cook said Apple are working on getting the costs down. Obviously without affecting their 70% margin on each device of course lol.

9. Koogs macrumors newbie

Koogs

I meant condition from use. buttons wear out, screen scratches up a bit, battery loses health. Generally screen output and speed stay the same except for new apps, upgraded OS etc.

Either or, if you have a 7 and its still fast, i could see waiting. If you are looking to buy a new 7 from Apple at $450...... I think you're better served spending the extra few hundred for the newer design.

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

The biggest motivation to upgrading my 64gb iPhone X is storage at this point. I had to manually delete a bunch of downloaded music and move a lot of pics and videos to iCloud and now I worry about filling up my storage whenever I take raw or highest res photos.

I would’ve got the higher storage model but didn’t need 256gbs and wasn’t willing to pay that much more for something I didn’t really need.

11. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Problem with your argument is a three year old Iphone is still current on software and security updates, very, very, very few Android phones do. Plus buying a Apple refurb at that price point comes with a warranty.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Storage upgrade costs are highway robbery

13. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

meanwhile the 64-128 gig upgrade on the Xr is 50$ but they dont have that option on the flagships because they want to make 150$ more on you even.
    Apple knows most people would go with 128 gig over 256 and offering it at 150$ more with no middle doesn't sit well with me.
    Especially since they offered 128 gigs in previous + size phones.

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Sounds like you answered your own question.

I use my phone for everything , i do not considered myself obsessed using it....not for facebook :p , but most important capturing my familys photos , travel , bookings , videos. Larger size in my opinion is worth the money.

I have moved all my life over to an ipad and phone now. The desktop/laptop game is irrelevant to me.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Flagships should start at 128 then 256, 512.

Better yet 128 and 512 with $150 difference

16. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Agreed. But the shareholders love 'em.

17. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

What’s the rational behind this?

18. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

But how would they upsell people on sizes they don’t need them? Apple is playing with people and it’s obvious. They know if they offered 128 gig standard the amount of people that would upgrade to 256 would be much much less

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s why I didn’t like that Apple did, when they offered 128 and 256 GB, 128 GB is way more than I would need, and I found 64 GB to be the perfect amount of storage for my needs, but I understand everybody else’s might be different. By charging 128 GB, they set a higher price point for the iPhone, which is unappealing for most.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Having worked in a store, Apple marketing confused and frustrated many people.

The differences between the 7 and 8 hardware/capacities, for the average user, didn’t help.

I saw the frustration first hand. Many are not entrenched into the Apple eco system and to change to android isn’t such a big deal.