iPhone XS Regret? I wanted a cheap iPhone and I ended up with an iPhone XS 256 GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phido, Dec 1, 2018.

1. phido thread starter macrumors newbie

phido

I enjoy using it a lot. It’s almost perfect for me. The only thing I really dislike is the battery life (besides the price). It barely lasts one day. I wish it had the XR battery life.

Because of the battery I do want to upgrade next year. Let’s hope the iPhone 11 is truly perfect.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2018 ---
    It was a big issue *before* the purchase but now I don’t really care about it.

The problem is that it sucks to compare the XS and XR. If the XS was better in all aspects then it would have been easy to pay the extra money. But it isn’t (worse battery life, worse low light portrait photos and no 128 GB option). Paying the most doesn’t mean it’s the best.

2. Zelda Chestnut macrumors newbie

I know what you mean - I personally get good battery life out of the XS, but it is odd that the XR gets better battery life than the more expensive model. Yes, we'll just have to see how the iPhone 11/XI is! Enjoy your XS in the meantime :)

3. ghanwani, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

ghanwani macrumors 6502a

This sounds very much like a story that our teacher told us on the first day of economics class in high school.

Here is the story. :)

One day, a man, who doesn't own any kind of transportation, is walking home one day tired after his work. He sees a cyclist whiz by. He's nagged by the feeling of want, so he decides to get a bicycle for himself and he's happy for a while.

Then one day it's crazy hot and he's pedaling up a steep incline, sweating profusely. He see a guy on a scooter effortlessly go by. He's now unhappy with the bicycle. Once again, he's nagged by the feeling of want, so he decides to get a scooter and he's happy for a while.

Then one day it's raining heavily and he's riding the scooter home and is all wet. He sees a guy in a car comfortably drive by. He's now unhappy with the scooter. Yet again, he's nagged by the feeling of want, and he decides to get a car...

Economics is the study of man and how he manages his unlimited wants with his limited resources.

So OP, what did you end up doing?

4. tl01 macrumors 68020

New hoping for a battery case! I am waiting for Apple to release a good one! Sounds like you are happy with your choice. Enjoy!

5. phido thread starter macrumors newbie

phido

I kept the XS :)
    I use my phone a lot and I take tons of pictures so it’s worth the extra money.
    A few hundred bucks more isn’t that big of a deal in the end.

My conclusion: just get the phone that I want. Price isn’t that important for a device that plays such an important role in my life.

6. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Which is why I will probably hold on to my ipx like many have held on to their 6s. Not worth spending $1000 again in my opinion. After an entire year I still owe $499. I don't want to start over

7. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Totally makes sense.

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Very rational decision.

I'll call up your utilities company and tell them it's OK to jack up the prices by 20%, since it's so important to you.

Next up I'll call Verizon, then Comcast, and then Whole Foods. And tell them they can price their stuff 20% higher, since you're paying anyway.

Oh, and your pay will stay the same.

I really cannot understand why people are OK with paying 45% more for the same product they used to get earlier. You're transferring income to Apple and that's it.

9. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Your electric company is regulated. Nobody is forcing you to pay for a consumer grade electronic device.

As an aside, the iPhone XS Max is not a product you could have gotten earlier. Unless you’re saying that any device with a screen, internet connection and allows one to check Facebook and emails qualifies.

10. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

First I say I do and then I say I don't and then I say I will and then I say I won't...I'm undecided now and what am I going to do???

11. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

You're taking a specific point and running away from the general idea, which is "paying more for the same thing is not something you do rationally".

Previously the top of the line, best available, iPhone cost $769. That was the iPhone 7 Plus. Now it costs $1099.

You simply cannot say it's a better phone because well that's obvious and expected. While Xiaomi, Google, Samsung and the like are able to offer specs that are leaps and bounds better than what we had even in 2017 for the same or lower price, Apple barely moved and maintained the price. You're paying for the brand. Everybody knows that.

It puzzles me how people try to justify their purchases with "oooh but I use it so many hours per day" as if they're not just paying more for the same thing.

12. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

OP's decision was around XR vs XS, etc. It had nothing to do with Apple's pricing strategy. For those who believe the iPhone is overpriced, it applies to ALL models. And that isn't the topic of this thread.

What would have been your suggestion to the OP?

13. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

OP is well out of the return period, so your point is moot - but anyway I'm a former launch 7P customer with a brand new 64GB XR. So there's that.

14. davedvdy macrumors 6502

Really, there isn't any one that has to justify their purchases. I just saw it as someone explaining why they made their decision.
    For example, I purchased the phone I felt would be best for me, even given all the current price hikes.
    I didn't enjoy paying more, but the alternatives weren't what I was looking for in a phone.

15. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Let’s do an apples to apple comparison. An iPhone 8+ 256 with AppleCare was 949+200=1149. A Xs 256 max with AppleCare is 1249+200=1449. $300 more for a better camera, processor, oled and bigger screen. Worth it? Up to you? However it is not the same phone and shouldn’t cost the same.

And if price is an issue for the OP, the XR should work well for most people.

16. allapple macrumors newbie

allapple

Once the "geewhiz" was gone I had the same feelings after I paid $500. for a WATCH!! So I will hold onto my 6plus until ii dies or Apple updates kill it!

17. yaboid01 macrumors newbie

I understand what both of your points are but with that example, when do the price increases stop? In theory, each year they’ll release the new iPhone with a better camera, processor, etc. At this rate a $2K iPhone should be released by 2020. At the end of the day, I guess you just have to decide if you want or are able to pay to play or not and if not, there are other devices available.

18. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

The 6S generation (so SE, 6S/6S+) seems to be the sticking generation at the moment

As in once you get beyond the $200 a second hand 6S costs, you're not getting much "extra" for your money

Yes the newer phones are faster and take better pictures, but what i'm saying is that the 6S generation of phones are fast enough and take good enough photos for pretty much everyone

you'll always get those people who think they're unique and special and could never survive which such old phones but those people are irrelevant in real life anyway

19. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Sometimes it helps to talk to people when you're having a crisis.

This is very much a first world crisis, but still a crisis in OP's eyes!

20. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

This is very subjective. I was on a 6 for 3 years but then upgraded to the 8 Plus in 2017 and then the max last year. Worth is always subjective. Could I have accomplished what I do at present on my previous phones, absolutely, but the newer things I can do now is worth my money. So there’s that.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think this is why the newer iPhones divide opinion so much. A few years ago the latest iPhone was top of most users shopping lists, it was the must have and upgrade of choice without question. Now it’s not and a choice of multiple handsets has killed the buzz quite a lot.

22. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Indeed. That’s normal when any product category saturates.

23. Koogs macrumors newbie

Koogs

While that is true, eventually products do wear out.
    I had a 6 up until December until I upgraded to an XR. I would have ditched it at the end of last year except with teh battery replacement, which was botched and turned into a refurbished handset, I held on longer. Use eventually wears it out (battery, screen, interface)

I guess my point is, a secondhand 6S is not an apples to apples comparison. Maybe a refurbished 7 from apple.
    For me, the 2 biggest issues was battery life and camera. However, having a new phone I realized how much slower and painful my old one was.

You can hold on for a while, but eventually the battery, home key etc catch up. the 6S was a step up in the camera that might have made it tolerable a while longer.

Do I think the XR is a "deal"? no, its pricier than I'd like. I think there have been 2 price raises since I bought my 6. It doesn't surprise me that prices have gone up a bit. Also, the XS and XSMax are essentially premium iphones, rather than standard so they are a tier up in features and pricing. I think everyone should compare your options and pay your money. top tier androids aren't cheap, although likely are cheaper. I'm OK paying a bit more for an iphone over an android for the same specs as a like the user experience.

At the end of the day, all of these fall under the category of luxury electronics, none of us are buying life line phones or the cheapest $150 smartphone. Arguing value in this space is academic at best.

24. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Yep, this is what happens when pretty much everyone who wants an iPhone has one.

It changes from "I want an iPhone!" to "Should I upgrade my iPhone?" and to many people with an iPhone 6 or newer, the answer is "I can wait."

And even many people who don't have an iPhone and want one have so many inexpensive options including second-hand phones. This also hurts sales.

25. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Not sure I agree with you about the phones wearing out from use. The battery yes but speed wise/ screen wise/ interface doesn’t really.
    The 6 series phones where dogs. Especially the 6+. I had one for two years. They where slow. The display was too big for the processer to handle. Also the slowdown of the battery made those phones super slow. The 6s was the first capable phone that is still fast. Anything passed a 7 is very fast and you wouldn’t feel much of a difference speed wise between that and the flagship phones today u less the battery is bad and you don’t have the settings in battery on to slow down the phone for longer battery life.