Regrets going for WIFI only version?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Mar 27, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Anyone had regrets going for the WIFI only model?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I got an LTE model, so no regrets here. I will use wifi 95% of the time, but a data connection sure is a luxury when there is time to kill and no wifi to be found.

3. falcora macrumors 6502

Yeah a little bit, but I'm just going to sign up for the tethering plan on my iPhone when I need to use it. (probably this summer)

4. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

No.

The wifi version I think is a better deal if you have a phone that is already tethered and/or you are always near wifi.

Why play the extra $130 to have THE OPTION of using 4G. I'm happy with my choice.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Nope. My carrier allows free hotspot tethering for any plans with >1GB data :D Not to mention LTE on my carrier of choice is suspiciously missing from my city, so I'd be using 3G if I did. With a 6GB plan on my iPhone and free tethering, I couldn't be happier. (I also mostly use it at home with my Wi-Fi network anyway, so no loss there really.)

6. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Bought the 3g so I could have the gps.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Not at all. The iPad travels with me, and I use hotel wireless. If I need to use it elsewhere I've got an employer provided 4g wifi hotspot.

90% of all use is at home on wireless.

8. spice weasel macrumors 65816

No regrets here. I figure I have my iPhone for when I need to check email or look something up when I'm out of WiFi range. I have plenty of books, magazines, games, tv shows, and movies on my iPad to keep me occupied when I don't have WiFi. I didn't feel like paying $130 extra for something I'll likely never use. Somehow I managed to survive all those pre-cell phone/data plan days of my youth, so I think I'll do just fine now.

9. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

No, because there is no LTE in my area and I'm waiting until AT&T is shamed into offering the hotspot. Verizon is not really a choice in my area.

10. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I have 6GB of data on my phone that includes free tethering... So no regrets at all.

11. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

The Wifi Has GPS. I tested it. in the middle of the park. It found my location.

12. Rogzilla macrumors regular

Nope. I've got my iPhone for quick web surfing/video watching when I'm not either at home or have a trustworthy wifi connection.

13. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I started out with the wifi only iPad but returned it to get the 4G/LTE version because I anticipate traveling quite a bit this year on a tour bus, so I'm sure wifi won't be available most of the time.

14. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

I thought I would regret buying the wifi only model, but so far I'm finding free wifi almost everywhere I go. Even the metro ride home has wifi. For those small occasions where there is no wifi, I read a book or watch a movie / tv show.

15. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If it was $60 or less for the upgrade I would have sprung for it, but it's not worth $130 for me personally because my iPad rarely leaves my home, I would most likely only use it when my home connection was being eaten by something else.

16. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

+1

And with scarce LTE frequency bands, roaming is close to impossible. The 4G connectivity of a particular iPad is tied to a single country (or worse, carrier!).

Just knowing of that limitation is very frustrating to me. Even if I never need to roam. I would much rather have a generic Wi-Fi model for the peace of (OCD-driven) mind... And tether my phone's connection when necessary.

17. tehreflex macrumors 6502

No regrets here, I can just tether off my iPhone if I have the need for internets on it.

18. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

No, it does not.

It has a digital compass, but not GPS.

19. doboy macrumors 68000

No, Wifi only version does NOT have aGPS.

20. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

The only thing I've really experienced is Envy at times.

But with the personal hotspot on my iPhone working personally, I find that all it was; Envy.

21. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

If the iPad 3 is like the iPad 2 then the GPS is part of the cellular chip. Location service will try to find your approximate location using wifi.

22. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

If you teather the iPad Wi-fi to an iPhone, I believe that it can obtain the GPS location from the iPhone. This was the case before.

Otherwise, the Ipad will determine the location based on wifi, but it is not very accurate.

23. doboy macrumors 68000

I know it does. I'm just pointing out that the Wifi iPad itself doesn't have aGPS.

24. iEvolution macrumors 65816

No way, I mean the way wireless carriers rip you off with their data plans I have no plans to get 4G/LTE any time soon.

25. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Why pay 1/3 more when I have wifi at home and at most of the places I'd take my iPad? I have an iPhone just in case I can't find wifi.