Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reliable leaker known as l0vetodream has hinted that Apple may debut its rumored redesigned and colorful iMac at its "Spring Loaded" event on Tuesday, April 20.

flat-imac-3d-3-teal.jpg

In a tweet, the leaker posted an image of Apple's logo used for marketing the upcoming event and an image of the retro rainbow Apple logo alongside the colorful lineup of G3 iMacs. Apple leaker Jon Prosser previously reported that these upcoming iMacs would debut in various colors, a throwback move to the G3 iMac.

Beyond an array of colors, Bloomberg has reported that the first major redesign of the iMac since 2012 will take inspiration from the Pro Display XDR, with no chin and narrower side bezels.

Apple is working on two new versions of the iMac to replace its existing 21.5-inch and 27-inch models. l0vetodream recently suggested that one of the new models will be bigger than the existing 27-inch iMac.

Article Link: Reliable Leaker Hints Redesigned Colorful iMac to Debut at 'Spring Loaded' Event

Last edited:

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Personally, I think this is a step back for Apple when they kept on stressing on being "environmentally friendly" when they are creating extra colors and options that would guarantee much more leftover stock when compared with currently existing Space Gray/Silver color options. Sure, add one sounds legit but having five options in total...... I find it difficult to picture.

But then hey, what do I know ?

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
While this has likely been posted 57 times already, in various threads (sorry, I’ve not read every post - I know, slacking), but the Loaded in Spring Loaded is referencing quantity. We’re gonna get a crap-ton of goodies; Air Tags, iPads, iMacs, OSes, iPhone cases, Watch bands, etc. It’ll be a big day.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Pro XDR stand is “spring loaded”.. new imac with new stand. Starting at low $3999.

A colorful phone, sure. But why a computer? I want it black or dark grey.
Suit yourself. But they are lots of us who, especially after the depressing last 12 months, would welcome more uplifting color options than the same old sterile silver or gloomy gray.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Pro XDR stand is “spring loaded”.. new imac with new stand. Starting at low $3999.

A colorful phone, sure. But why a computer? I want it black or dark grey.

As would I. However, IMO we are rapidly becoming a minority in today’s consumer base. In reality, only a minuscule number of Mac owners are represented on these forums.

I‘d be willing to wager there is a significantly large percentage that will be driven by their devices color matching. :rolleyes:

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
well PC cases come in a variety of colours
Heh, true that.
They can come in all the colors with extra LEDs inside that also have all the colors... and chrome-thing stickers all over the place that shine in all colors, colorful spiky/edgy shape detail features.
Usually paired with a colorful keyboards and mice.

Spring colors-only suddenly feels limited :p

KrisAK

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
As would I. However, IMO we are rapidly becoming a minority in today’s consumer base. In reality, only a minuscule number of Mac owners are represented on these forums.

I‘d be willing to wager there is a significantly large percentage that will be driven by their devices color matching. :rolleyes:

That's how it worked in 1998, so nothing's really new here.

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
I don’t understand the fascination with an all in one desktop. Apart from being super cool, wouldn’t it be better to have a best in class apple monitor and the computer unit separate. I can change/upgrade either one as required. If space clutter is a problem you could always create neat ways of hanging a Mac mini on the back of the monitor. There is so much waste at the end of life of an iMac. It’s a shame that Apple can shout from the top of solar roof tops but not care about the environment for real.

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I don’t understand the fascination with an all in one desktop. Apart from being super cool, wouldn’t it be better to have a best in class apple monitor and the computer unit separate. I can change/upgrade either one as required. If space clutter is a problem you could always create neat ways of hanging a Mac mini on the back of the monitor. There is so much waste at the end of life of an iMac. It’s a shame that Apple can shout from the top of solar roof tops but not care about the environment for real.
Completely with you on this. As an existing iMac user, I wouldn't purchase one again. I've been setting up an M1 Mac mini for work which is connected to an ultra wide. An Apple display with modular 'slot in' Mac mini type device would be perfect and much better than an all in one (even if they sell the screen and modular computer as an all in one initially).

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
has hinted that Apple may debut
Really going out on a limb with the wording there. :rolleyes: I'll be ready, credit card in hand.

I don’t understand the fascination with an all in one desktop. Apart from being super cool, wouldn’t it be better to have a best in class apple monitor and the computer unit separate. I can change/upgrade either one as required.
In my opinion, yes, although good all-in-ones do have a lot of appeal in in many situations. If given the option, I'd get an M1X Mac mini with 32 GB RAM option and an Apple 24" monitor. Even better, a fabled xMac with upgradable RAM and SSD. However, Apple offers none of those at the moment, and so the iMac it is for me.

To be fair, I'm on my third iMac now (starting with a G5) and they've been nothing but great for me, so I'm definitely not scared of the all-in-one form factor. Both my old iMacs got good homes where they continued to be used for many years, and this one will too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.