Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reliable leaker known as "L0vetodream" has today suggested on Twitter that redesigned MacBooks coming in the second half of 2021 will include models with both Apple Silicon chips and Intel processors.

13-16-inch-macbook-pro-air-trio.jpg

The brief Tweet came in response to a MacRumors article from earlier today, which outlined a report from Ming-Chi Kuo claiming that Apple plans to release redesigned MacBook models with Apple Silicon in the second half of 2021.

L0vetodream simply says that the MacBook redesigns expected in the second half of 2021 will not be only for Apple Silicon models, implying that the redesigns will also come to new Intel-based MacBooks.

Apple just released its first Apple Silicon Macs, which include the MacBook Air and lower-end configurations of the 13-inch MacBook Pro and Mac mini. While the new MacBook Pro and Mac mini still have a few shortcomings relative to their more expensive Intel counterparts, they are demonstrating better performance in a number of core benchmarks, even matching or outperforming higher-end machines like the 16-inch MacBook Pro in some tasks.

As a result, L0vetodream's claim is a bit curious given that these rumored redesigned MacBooks are still more than six months away, which gives Apple time to improve the performance of Apple Silicon even further.

In announcing the transition to Apple Silicon chips for the Mac at WWDC in June, Apple said that the transition to Apple Silicon would take about two years and that new Macs with Intel processors were still in the pipeline.

We've already seen a few of those with updated 27-inch iMac models in August, and so many have assumed based on the competitive performance of Apple's M1 chip that most of Apple's Macs will be quickly moving solely to Apple Silicon, with only specialized models like the Mac Pro and iMac Pro perhaps taking the full two years to make the transition.

Article Link: Reliable Leaker Suggests Redesigned MacBooks in 2021 Will Include Both Apple Silicon and Intel Models

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: bwillwall

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Why both Apple Silicon and Intel models? Does not make sense to me, unless Intel is to offer compatibility and discrete GPUs and/or eGPU support to those who need that.

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
Maybe to keep the people running Bootcamp etc happy. But one would think most apps will be ported over to run on M series chips by the time these are released. Why would Apple sell two machines - one that completely smokes the other and costing less?

Surely there's enough supply of Intel machines to keep people happy.

Looking forward to that resigned 24" iMac M-series...

Reactions: javade

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I can see it being one last Intel machine on a high-end SKU for pros that will need a much longer amount time to transition from x86 due to specialized apps/plugins, or the Apple Silicon processors for the high-end SKUs need more time to cook.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Just ordered a refurb Mac Mini i7 w/ 16GB because the 8GB was snatched before I could pull the trigger. Came with the 1TB SSD. Next is the OWC 64GB upgrade swap out.

Apple most certainly will be updating more Intel models. This transition will take 12-18 months longer than they projected.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
In other news, water is wet?

there will be a handful of new (mostly likely merely updated) Intel Macs, because people are doing things with Macs that M1 Macs can’t do yet. Virtualization running Windows VMs comes to mind, but there will be some professional software that takes a while to be updated.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Reliable leaker who
- tends to write in broken English (could easily mean a number of other things, like “not only the Silicon is at the center of the redesign, there are other tent pole features”)
- sometimes plants fake leaks to expose his copycats wannabe-leakers

I’m perplexed, I would expect this for the MacPro, not the laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.