Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick1988

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Luton
Hi everybody,

I have an Apple TV 4 64 gb as a replacement for my TiVO and my old Apple TV 3, as a family of four we mainly watch Amazon Prime and Netflix. About 7 weeks ago my Apple TV started showing an error message saying something regarding 'device requirements for airplay; one of your devices is running out of date software, etc.'. The message appears about every minute and does not disappear for about 5 minutes or whenever I press the trackpad, however then it will appear within a minuted again. As all my Apple devices are running the latest software I was sure something was wrong with the software of my Apple TV. After calling with Apple support and checking all my devices for software updates, I sent of a diagnostics report to Apple's engineers for them to resolve the issue, as apparently more people had this same issue (I have been told by the senior account managers).

Now 7 weeks later I am still waiting for a fix from the engineers of Apple, however, whenever I call with Apple support (about every week now), I simply get the response that they have not heard anything new from the engineering team and that my best (only) option is to wait. Today I got quite pissed of with Apple support as once again I got the same message, and a 7 week wait is apparently not a big deal for them. I asked them whether any other options were available to fix the issue for me at least, e.g. replacement or a refund so I could buy another devices (possible a nexus tv or firetv). I explored this option once before, about week 3 of the issue, and they simply told me to go back to the seller (Argos) and ask for a refund with consumer law. Argos asked me what the issue was and told me that because its a software issue, Apple can fix the issue and a replacement/refund is not possible, not even under consumer law. This leaves me without options except to wait for Apple to fix the issue, however, I do not really have the feeling this issue will get resolved anytime soon.

I already sent an e-mail to Tim Cook as this helped me a lot once my iMac broke for the fifth or sixth time (not sure anymore), of which three times screen related. However, as of yet this has not helped. Also calling to the Argos does not help, as they constantly give the same answer and refer to Apple. As I hope you can imagine, I am starting to get really annoyed with Apple as I do not have any option and a solution does not seem to be available anytime soon. I am wondering if anybody else had this issue? As apparently many people are supposed to have this issue. In addition, I am wondering if anybody has any idea how to deal with this issue, beside waiting of course. Or maybe has any experience with Apple support not mentioning any timeframe.

Thanks all for your help and/or sharing your experiences!

Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.