Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Not covering the ears themselves, and putting the noise sensors inside the ear canal itself could produce some freaky frequency response on the noise cancelling itself.
I'll definitely try before I buy. Sound cancelling itself doesn't take all that much power, but when using devices in that mode, it tends to be for long periods. That makes the tiny batteries vs price point a big concern. Then again, they may well be more comfortable than my QC35's. Perhaps sleeping on one's side would be possible with AirPods?
There are a lot of trade offs here. A pair of each might turn out to be the correct answer.

Cleartz

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2019
I am considering getting them but I'll watch YouTube videos first. I really need to replace my current pair. Even though Apple destroyed the Health App and has made the app unusuable for me, if the AirPods Pro have any health / sleep monitoring, I'll end up getting them. If I can't handle the design, I'll get 2nd Gen.

I wish Ming-Chi Kuo used Twitter. I don't have a problem with MR (and with a lack of looking), but to find out what he is saying, I have to go to MR.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
Apple is really starting to grate with its overuse of the word "Pro". They currently have some really dumb people working in the marketing department with the naming of products.

The features they're adding aren't even pro, they're basic updates every other smartphone already has.

The only products in the line up that should have Pro attached to them are the 15" MacBook Pro (13" isn't Pro with that Intel integrated graphics), iMac Pro and Mac Pro.

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
When was AirPower officially announced as a product other than being teased? Yes, it was allegedly a product, allegedly. But I agree following rumors as fact is always YMMV.

AirPower was announced as a product at the September 2017 iPhone event for a 2018 release that obviously never happened.

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
The amount of outrage over rumors and uneducated guesses on MacRumors never ceases to entertain. I'm genuinely amazed at how many people keep saying this is a $100 price increase. Let's break it down.

Based on the rumor mill stating these new AirPods are getting the Pro suffix added to them. For Apple, Pro means more features and a more "high-end" design. Knowing that, it is a fair guess that regular AirPods are staying as they are $159 for wired charging, $199 for wireless charging. These new AirPods Pros are being rumored at $259. That's not a $100 price increase, that is paying an extra $100 for active noise-cancelling, in-ear wireless earphones. If they come with a wireless charging case as standard then it's only a $59 price increase for a better in-ear fit and better technology. This is exactly how Apple has been operating for a very long time.

I can not understand the outrage.

Reactions: PeteS1963

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
No no no... you have it all wrong. The additional $100 is for the three letters “Pro” in the name, not for any actual design changes. :)

Jesus Apple, I'm not paying an extra $100 just for the ones that will actually stay in my ears.

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali
I’ve been waiting forever to buy a pair. Each gen I try and justify it and I can’t. I’m in Canada, please understand you will second think the things you buy. As of now i’m on the fence but I want to purchase them.
We’ll have to see how my usual Youtubers review it. I am an in-ear person (I have Jaybird X3 and Senn. Urbanite XL), so that does help.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I'll definitely buy these! There are no other wireless earbuds on the market with noise cancellation. Bose is supposed to come out with something next year but I'll probably stick to Apple if they have good reviews.
You've missed the last three years of Sony NC wireless earphones then.

WF1000X
WF-SP700N
WF-1000XM3

Reactions: Partron22

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
Man, I really hope these come with noise cancelling on the mic. It could be a game changer for call centers. I have to use my Jabra right now, but if I could use my AirPods for that, I'd be super stoked. If the mic is better than the current get, I'll be a first day order for me.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
This isn't true. Sony put out noise cancelling buds a few months ago and the reviews are pretty good.

These are in fact Sonys third generation NC wireless earphones and they are very good. Comfortable, sound great (with bass), NC works as well as over ear version. First gen was good, these are better.

Reactions: JBGoode

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I don't remember. But it's not like Apple has never cancelled products in the last 10 years or so.

It is like that. It's an incredibly rare occurrence. I struggle to recall anything from the past 10 years other than AirPower that was announced in the way that it was and then failed to materialize. There may be some software features that were talked about that never became a reality, but as far as physical products go AirPower is the only one I can think of. If anyone on here can think of any others please correct me.

Here's the video of Phil talking about AirPower:

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
If the new Airpods don’t have active noise canx, I’m not interested. My Sony WF-1000MX3’s are pretty damn awesome for music and watching video. They suck at voice calls which I assume the AirPods will be great at.

Reactions: socalmark2

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It is like that. It's an incredibly rare occurrence. I struggle to recall anything from the past 10 years other than AirPower that was announced in the way that it was and then failed to materialize. There may be some software features that were talked about that never became a reality, but as far as physical products go AirPower is the only one I can think of. If anyone on here can think of any others please correct me.

Here's the video of Phil talking about AirPower:
Others have commented, as this conversation has come up in the past, with a list of products that were cancelled.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
These are in fact Sonys third generation NC wireless earphones and they are very good. Comfortable, sound great (with bass), NC works as well as over ear version. First gen was good, these are better.

That's good to hear. I have the over ear version and love them and I've been curious about these.

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
If the new Airpods don’t have active noise canx, I’m not interested. My Sony WF-1000MX3’s are pretty damn awesome for music and watching video. They suck at voice calls which I assume the AirPods will be great at.

This is what has kept me from buying them. I need a great mic with noise cancelling on the mic

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
Wow.. is it really worth the price compared to Sony,Bose and Sennheisers? Or the price is for the brand name?

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Dumb question but how does noise cancelling technology actually work? Does it create white noise sound to block outside noise or is it because the in-ear tips actually create a seal in your ear which blocks out the noise? If it creates white noise, doesn't that damage ears in the long run?

Active noise cancelling creates an equal, opposite sound wave from whatever the background noise is.

Passive noise cancelling just creates a seal around your ear — there’s no technology involved.

Active noise cancelling is just fine for your ears. Keep in mind it’s creating an equal, opposite sound wave, which actually means the noise is no longer there to your ears — this means you can listen to something at a lower volume and still understand it instead of having to blast the volume to hear it over the background noise. This is much better for your ears.

Active noise cancelling also only cancels out lower frequency sounds (things like the hum of airplane engines or road noise). People’s voices and other things aren’t cancelled.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Wow.. is it really worth the price compared to Sony,Bose and Sennheisers? Or the price is for the brand name?

Best answer right now is to wait for the product to actually be released. There will be no lack of YouTube reviews that you can use to make a more informed decision. I remember AirPods being initially derided for, amongst many criticisms, being too expensive and it’s ironic now that it’s actually considered the more affordable option amongst its competitors relative to the value it offers.

And if my time here has taught me one thing - it’s to never take any advice from Macrumours haters. They are conditioned to hate on anything that isn’t a Mac Pro and cannot be an objective voice of reason in such a discussion.

Apple isn’t stupid. They want you to actually buy their products, and they will be priced appropriately relative to the value they provide.

JMO1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
How much does two batteries cost and a tiny case. These are the same spec/quality Headphones shipped with iPhone free for years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.