Report: AirPower Has Entered Production and Coming Soon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2019.

1. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

I've seen a few posts that have asked if there are even people who would buy this - thought I would share why I, at least, am very excited if they do finally release it. It actually does solve a problem for me.

I travel frequently with work, and having the lightest, least load I can carry with me helps hugely. (Hence why the MacBook for all its lack of power is my favourite Apple product ever). I've been able to reduce this as much as I possibly can, but still need to carry several chargers no matter what. (At least one lightning for iPhone, AirPods - one Apple Watch, and USB-C for the MacBook, although I usually carry a slim QI charger because I just find it so much more convenient than anything. Getting iPhone's on USB-C would make me happy beyond belief! I would buy a USB-C model AirPower over lightning anyway, but I'm not holding out hope, maybe next year)

Therefore, having one, very slim device that could charge three of my devices would be great and hugely simplify my travel bag. I've looked at things like the SliceCharge, but the integrated (and short) cable is a little bit of a concern for me. Hotel rooms and well placed power sockets are just a nightmare, at least here in the UK.

Of course - price! Until I know that, can't say if I would get it or not. But I want to!

2. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

A year ago, I probably would’ve forked over whatever they’re going to charge, but now? I’ve already got my nightstand setup, so no. And I’m a die hard Apple fool.

I’m sure they lost a lot of $ by bringing this so late.

And how do you charge the watch if you’re using a loop strap?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    199 Or 249 US

3. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

I hear you, it’s 2019 and there are options for Qi chargers that convert from flat mode to stand mode in a single device. If this thing is cabable of both modes great.

4. Jamers99 macrumors member

Jamers99

I predict this will be the biggest Apple product flop to date if the price is anything north of $120.

5. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

If it had USB-C, I would consider it. But chances of that...?

6. theNatest macrumors member

theNatest

7. now i see it macrumors 68030

No single wireless charging station/mat/stand is going to be able to do everything that everyone wants it to do. For some people, a stand that holds the phone upright on a desk is best for their situation, and the Apple Air Power charger obviously isn't designed to do this.

Apple decided on an "Apple gear dump" charging mat design instead. Their idea (obviously) was a customer comes home and dumps all their Apple crap on the matt and it's all charged up by the next morning. Nothing wrong with that method. It's just one of many and they chose that one.

Want a wireless charger that'll prop up your iPhone on a desk? There's plenty of those available already. Buy one of those instead. This one is meant to do it differently.

8. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Disagree - Apple stopped including cradles for a reason, no one was using them. And the Apple lightning dock hasn’t been updated since 2015. I haven’t bought a cradle once the iPhone stopped supporting my universal iPod stand and I doubt most people miss them.

I want to get one of these for my iPhone XS and I don’t even have AirPods or a compatible Apple Watch.

9. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

I imagine they expect you to loop it over the back of the device so that it then sits at an angle, or perhaps they expect you to take the strap off. Whichever, it is a feeble oversight.

10. OverChris macrumors newbie

I agree, however I think the price will be very important. 169$ for the AirPods seemed high, but if the price for a charger is as high as the price for headphones, only hardcore Apple fans will buy it. I can’t wait to see the price, 129$ would be the highest that would be ok for me.

11. ksec macrumors 6502a

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Does anybody want this anymore? I’m sure it will be quite expensive.

13. transporter96 macrumors newbie

transporter96

This is an Tim Cook Apple product. Meaning that it will be too expensive and not really worth it

14. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

15. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

From experience, I've discovered flat charging mats are not ideal:
    1. Take up more desk space.
    2. A face-up phone is vulnerable to objects being dropped on it.
    3. Not as easy to read a phone or watch face.
    4. Can't charge a watch with a loop or link bracelet (unless you remove the bracelet. Ugh!).
    So much for facts. I'm still working on my snarky response: Should be ready by year end. ;)

16. Greenmeenie, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I could see where this would be cool. Keep it on your nightstand and simply place your iphone & apple watch on it when you go to sleep. But what about when you travel? Or are going out for awhile? I still think the portability of a regular wall charger can’t be beat. I just roll it up with the cable and put it in my pocket. I can easily charge up at work, or in a cafe or at an airport if i am running low on juice. A wireless charging mat isn’t as convenient in that regard. I could see iphones getting a usb-c port this year like the ipad & macbooks. But Until devices are constantly charging from wireless signals thru the air...i can’t see Apple ever getting rid of the usb-c charging port. And would Apple ever do wireless on ipads? They are fragile enough with an aluminum back. Can you imagine ipads with glass backs??

Also, will the next airpod case get a usb-c port instead of the lightning? I know it’s suppose to get wireless, but they won’t get rid of the charging port. I just hope it’s not still lightning. I’d love to just be able to plug it into my 11” ipad pro with my usb-c cable to charge while on the road.

17. Hank Carter, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

Hank Carter macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs:

"What part of 'I want this finished and on shelves in 4 weeks or you can kiss your a$$ goodbye!' did you not understand?

Tim:

"Hi, people. Sorry to interrupt your yoga session, but I put some more avocado toast coupons and some fantastic gluten free cookies in the snack area. Do you think you'll maybe have something to show by WWDC, you know, so we can give everyone a look? Everyone is so excited to see what you have come up with. We know it's going to be ammmaaaaazing. It's going to be the best charger ever! But no, rush! I don't want to pressure you. Thanks and sorry.'

Oh, and by the way, we put bigger crying pillows in the safe spaces, with more colorful floral prints! Thanks!'

18. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

My phone’s got about 30% charge at the moment.

I’m lying on my hotel bed about to meet my colleagues in 30 mins or so.

My phone is plugged in by an old fashioned cable and charging nicely as I browse round the internet and check emails etc.

Can’t do that with any mat.

It it was $50 I wouldn’t buy it.

19. McG2k1 macrumors regular

Mostly only because it was a HUGE part of the iPhone X launch event and it then went away. It’s become the symbolic proof that Apple has lost its touch.

20. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

How do I charge my AirPods through that?

21. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

With the 2nd Version of the Milanese Band Apple lets you slip the band through the connector so you don't have to detach it.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Poor interjection about Cook, and pointless in how it relates to the AirPower.

That said, your definition of ‘not really worth it’ isn’t everyone else’s is either, the advantage to the Airpower, is that you can set the device anywhere on the mat for it to charge properly without having it to have specific docking points like other competitors have. From my understanding, no other competitor offers what Airpower will.

23. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Yeah right.....like a drug feign, you will get this as soon as it drops. LOL

24. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Same way you do now

25. apolloa macrumors G4

Wouldn’t touch this with a barge pole with the year and a half or more delay it’s had! I bet it’ll be riddled with issues.. not sure I would trust it in my home plugged in all the time.
    Personally I got a lovely Belkin stand wireless charger.