Report: AirPower Has Entered Production and Coming Soon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2019.

1. rog macrumors 6502

Just got basically the same thing for $35 on a dealnews deal a few weeks ago. Both phones charging. Apple can't even get a charge on time. $49 would be expensive for it.

2. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

I don’t know why anyone would want this now. We all know they will price it around $150+, can’t have a loop band on your watch, need to buy a new case for your AirPods. And the length of the thing will take up a lot of desk real estate.

Plus, many have already gone with wireless chargers from other companies by now.

3. tothemoonsands macrumors newbie

tothemoonsands

Surprised by all of the negativity. As long as it can charge my Series 3, iPhone, and new AirPods all on one mat, I’m going to be super excited to get my hands on one. ONE CORD to charge them all, folks. Beautiful.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Genuine question: why? If this is, as many predict, ~$150+, that seems ludicrous to spend on a mat that would do something exactly the same as one you could purchase for little as a tenth of the price from a reputable brand such as Anker.

It only makes sense (and even then, only just) if you have multiple devices you want to charge.

5. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I’m probably the minority here ... but I’m actually excited !

6. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

Maybe for you, but completely the opposite for me and others.

7. Techwatcher macrumors regular

Techwatcher

No one cares anymore lol. Just bring on the AirPods 2.

8. HappyIntro macrumors member

HappyIntro

So, I don't get how they show AirPods charging. When does Apple start to sell a wireless battery case for them? Will they even sell the case separately or will you have to by a new pair of AirPods?

9. Yazooble macrumors newbie

Price? North of $200 if Apple still hasn’t learned their lesson.

10. truthertech, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

truthertech macrumors 68000

That's not the way business works. If the "ship sailed" and everyone has the charger they already need, then can we assume all the makers of wireless chargers will be going out of business soon? Of course not. In fact new companies are still entering the market as they mass produce cheap chargers to try and get some small portion of the tens of millions of chargers that will be sold every year. The vast majority of people don't have a wireless charger and, indeed, most of the iPhones, Apple Watches and no AirPods out there don't even support wireless charging yet. That's many hundreds of millions of devices that will be switched over to wireless charging capable in the future.

The second misunderstanding people have is that they assume Apple is trying to get the majority of the market. But that's not how Apple works. They have never been interested in competing at the low end, low or no profit margin, and Apple had this in mind when they were designing this charger that chargers were largely a commoditized product competing on price; thus, they weren't trying to compete with the cheap chargers out there. No, Apple designed this as a premium product for the person who has multiple devices and, as another poster pointed out, wants to come home and not have two or three separate chargers on their nightstand. The person who can afford AirPods, Apple Watch and an iPhone, can afford to pay more, and will find this an attractive product and doesn't mind paying more to be able to set all three together and move on. If you just have a phone and already went out and bought a wireless charging pad, you weren't Apple's target market.

So yes, Apple took longer than anticipated to make sure they didn't end up with a PR debacle, but just as we heard with the Apple Music Streaming service--"it's too late, people are already signed up with Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, etc., etc.", but instead, Apple came in later with a quality service that is now Number 1 in US and Number 2 in the entire world, Apple isn't "too late" with Airpower.. Probably close to 70 MILLION paid subscribers and climbing steadily every quarter. That's the Apple magic folks!

11. fokmik macrumors 68040

YEAH BABY, ITS coming...lets hope its under 200$

12. JungleNYC macrumors regular

JungleNYC

Watch out: if they over-price this thing now…uh oh

13. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

Always negativity on here. Doesn't matter what Apple does.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Pretty sure Apple said they'd sell a separate wireless charging case when AirPower is released in the September 2017 keynote. But that was a little while ago...

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re not the minority, you just not one of those who want to continually disparage against the Airpower like other members do on here. _If_ this product reaches the market, and Apple uses appropriate marketing, I think this will do really well. The biggest caveat being the price, but the ‘unique factor’ being this allows you to set your device anywhere on the mat to charge and not a specific contact point, is a nice advantage.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Wait, ‘A ton of hype’? What type of hype are you referring to? The only real marketing (Other than hype) was when Phil Schiller mentioned it during the keynote and it was on Apple‘s website, what other hype was there that the consumer would have known even about this product to begin with? I mean, aside from tech articles, but the average consumers doesn’t visit sites like MacRumors.

[For the record, I didn’t meet anyone outside a tech site they had any idea what the Airpower even was or even remotely had heard of it, unless they paid attention to sites like this, or watched the keynote.]

17. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

When Apple started having trouble with the design, they tried to reconfigure Air Power as a large central pad with two offset smaller pads, but they were then immediately issued a cease-and-desist by Disney lawyers.

18. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Apple just really needs to switch the iPhone over to USB-C. Between my iPad Pro and my MacBook. The iPhone is the only device I can’t charge with the same cord

19. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Guessing that this will be launched at the March event that Apple now seems to making an annual thing.

I think that AirPower will be a great product & will be aimed at overnight charging. If you have an iPhone, watch and AirPods it’ll be great not to go go through the nightly charging ritual.

Of course, AirPower solves the very definition of a first world problem, but never mind!

20. Loosey101 macrumors newbie

Except the thousands of customers that walk into apple stores everyday and will see this on display.

21. ZipZap macrumors 603

Where have you been. You can find all this today on Amazon and Ebay very cheap. No need to give apple $150. Also flat design for a watch just does not work.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    And the thousands that will return it when they realize how impractical it is.

22. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

Stop being a fool. This is made for overnight charging.

23. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

I can probably buy 20+ copies of the current wireless charger I’m using for the cost of this so I see no point. Don’t really wanna lay the watch down on a mat when I have a stand anyways ‍♂️

24. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

Only one question left lightning or usb c
    Lightning is dead on arrival