Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
This could be a sign that Apple is starting to take battery life more seriously. This is a 35% increase in battery capacity.

You would only need about 10-15% extra to power a bigger 4.7" screen. And the A8 is rumoured to be a 20nm chip... so we can see significant power reduction there.

Yup, here is hoping for a real increase in battery life :)
Not sure I agree.

In terms of screen, a 4.7" screen has a 38% larger area than a 4" one. Top that with a pixel density increase and you have significant more than a 15% impact on power consumption (of the screen component).

In terms of SOC, a 30% gain can be expected from jumping from a 28nm to a 20nm fab but that is assuming everything else stays the same. If Apple moves to different GPU or more GPU cores (because of higher pixel density), or increases CPU frequency, battery gains (of the SOC component) would not be that great.

Given that screen is the biggest power draw in any smartphone / tablet device, I think that Apple needs a bigger battery just to keep the same battery life. A 35% increase in battery capacity may equate to only a 10% bump in battery life.

output555

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006
"Actually, I can't remember the last time the 5s lasted me a whole day. It usually dies down around 4pm, if I don't use an external charger.

The problem is, there is only so much optimisation [sic] you can achieve before the laws of physics take over."

One has to be careful about extrapolating a personal experience as the norm. You're most probably getting less than a full day's worth because your 5s isn't set-up optimally. Stuff like open apps, Bluetooth, Localization, roaming, bad installs, etc. can drain a battery quickly. So can watching videos, checking email compulsively, and so on. While I think no one would complain if they could get several days off one charge, there is only so much energy you can squeeze from a thin little cell. So, if Apple can add a bunch of nice improvements and add an hour or two (realizing 10-hours or so on a charge), I think no one will complain...too much.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Who cares about "thinner" or "lighter" or "faster" again and again... iPhones are at a point where thickness or weight isn't a problem so why fix something that ain't broken? The transition from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4, well that was a welcome change in weight and thickness, but now? Who cares? Most people are putting their iPhone in thick ugly cases anyway...

If Apple would just release a new with iPhone with 50% more battery life!! Wow that would blow the competeting Androids out of the water! Then you really have some unbeatable numbers about stuff people really care about!

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
No won't do. Only losers carry around an extra pack!

Would suit you perfectly then.

----------

Who cares about "thinner" or "lighter" or "faster" again and again... iPhones are at a point where thickness or weight isn't a problem so why fix something that ain't broken?

That's exactly what people said when the first iPhone came out.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Thank you.

People on this forum forget they're probably not the norm. My dad gets 2 days from his 5c - he's very light user, but I imagine there are more him then there are of 'us' on this forum. I get about 12 hours from my 5s. But I have an office job and I have a dock on my desk.

If battery was a real issue I'd get a battery pack case or one of them portable batteries. And I'd even look at other handsets.

Apple has offered 1 new phone a year. This is their trade-off. If it doesn't fit anyone's use case they need to look reduce the issue or take their business elsewhere.

Your estimates are on the next iPhone are interesting.

Anandtech shows the 'tiny' battery in the 5s competes quite well against the 3000 mAh Android flagships.

More details here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/5

I think a bump from the current 1,560 mAh to 1,810 mAh would put he iPhone close to par with those flagships and 2,100 mAh would exceed them.

I guess we'll know for sure when the thing is released.
Wow, that's pretty sad that a battery with half the capacity of competitors gets so close to their battery life. Impressive.

I've never heard anyone complain about the weight of any of the iPhones. I have however heard many users complain about the battery life. I guess everyone has different needs, but I do think that the majority of users would like their iPhone to last longer, rather than be lighter.
Usually you want improve your product before people start complaining.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Actually, I can't remember the last time the 5s lasted me a whole day. It usually dies down around 4pm, if I don't use an external charger.

Ok I need to ask. What are people doing with their phones that they cannot last 1 day? Even with what I would consider heavy use my phone (a 5S) can easily last 2 days. Are you that dependent on your phone that you cannot leave it alone for a few minutes?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
And if Apple made the next phone thicker and heavier people would be complaining like they did with the 3rd gen iPad.

I haven't seen anyone advocating a thicker phone. Most are saying keep the thickness of the 5S. With the increase in phone size, there's ample room for increasing the battery size without making it thicker. The rumored extra mm of thinness is prioritizing form over function imo.

Bigger battery doesn't equal better. Bigger battery is heavier, thicker and most importantly takes longer to load to 100%.

More efficient power usage = better.

You are simply wrong. A larger battery does not necessarily take longer to charge. Anandtech's GS5 review is floating around and it's 2800mAh battery charges in less time than the 5S' smaller battery. Spread over more surface area a bigger battery isn't necessarily thicker either. Weight? We are talking about a few milligrams, not pounds. Perspective. But technically you're right, it would most likely weigh more.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Adding that thickness and bigger battery would also make the device heavier. Use a battery pack if you don't mind thickness and heavy devices. I want my phone to be slim and light and my 5s already have great battery performance.

I don;t know how old you are, or what your memories are of mobile phones.

But I would not in a million years call a phone that needs to be realistically charged up every single day as having GREAT battery performance.

A week would be Superb.
A month Amazing
A year Stunning

A day is not Great, sorry.

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
Since the screen uses most of the power, for the next iPhone to keep the same battery time, the battery capacity should increase approximately in proportion to the screen area. Assuming same aspect ratio for the screen, from 4' to 4.7' screen diagonal is 38% more area.
1570 * 138% is 2166. There are probably some power efficiency gains in the OS and the A8. 2100 sounds plausible for a 4.7' iPhone.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Apple will keep lower spec from competitor for their future improvement on iPhone 6s. Longer battery life, just like 5S and 4S :)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Actually, I can't remember the last time the 5s lasted me a whole day. It usually dies down around 4pm, if I don't use an external charger.

The problem is, there is only so much optimisation you can do before the laws of physics take over.

A 4.7inch screen, no matter what optimisation iOS8 has, will take up power. Will an 1800mah or 2100mah battery last as long as an Android phone with a comparable screen, having a 3000mah battery? No. It just isn't possible to take away the power draw of the screen in software.

Of course, tasks can be optimised and the CPU can be underclocked so CPU processing tasks take less power.

I fear that the new iPhone will have a similar battery life to the current one, which is sadly not enough at all.

That's the problem . I don't know why people are excited over this battery .

A bigger phone with more features and more speed ? A 2100 battery is gonna give us battery life similar to the 5s Lol .

We're not getting a stellar battery with this phone because Apple is obsessed with thinness .

It sucks ...

----------

Regarding this alleged 9/9 event date, has this been YUPed yet by JD?

Nah, but I think 9/9 is pretty obvious . September 19th launch .

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
So basically no battery life. because the larger screen will take up the extra in reality

Guess ill have to keep using an ugly external battery to keep my iphone running past midday

Apples New iPhone 6...

cellpics-0.jpg

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Ok I need to ask. What are people doing with their phones that they cannot last 1 day?

They're using it as a smartphone! We've got a number of mobile users who have iPhones (mostly the iPhone5 with a few iPhone5s) and the number one complaint (infact the only real complaint) is battery life. Most of the people with them tend to find the battery doesn't last beyond 1 day and if it does it would certainly need charging to use it for a second day

Wild Warg

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Same day that Destiny comes out. I'll have to catch the rerun of the keynote after my marathon gaming session.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.