Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming 27-inch iMac redesign will not feature a display with mini-LED but will instead keep the LCD panel previously used, according to industry sources cited today in a report from DigiTimes.

imac-roundup.jpg

The report said that while "speculation about the next-generation 27-inch iMac coming with a miniLED display" has been circulating for some time, the new all-in-one desktop machine will, in fact, not feature a mini-LED panel, according to its sources.

DigiTimes' reporting goes at odds with credible display analyst Ross Young, who just as early as this month reaffirmed that the upcoming iMac will feature a mini-LED panel and support for ProMotion.

Despite its lack of a mini-LED panel, today's report claimed that the LCD display for the upcoming iMac is improving. "LED chips used in its display are up 30-40% from the previous models, giving it a higher brightness," the report said.

Initial rumors surrounding an update to the larger iMac indicated Apple increased the display size past 27-inches. Those rumors have died down, however, and we're now expecting the iMac to keep the 27-inch size but in a newer form factor. Today's report also claimed that like the 24-inch iMac, released this past April, the upcoming 27-inch model will come in various colors.

The new 27-inch iMac is expected to be released in spring 2022, possibly at an event in March or April.

Update: Credible display analyst Ross Young believes that, despite the DigiTimes report, the upcoming 27-inch iMac will feature a mini-LED display.

Article Link: Report: Redesigned 27-Inch iMac to Feature LCD Display, Not Mini-LED [Updated]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: alpi123

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It’s true I guess if they did make the iMac promotion mini led then the sales of the Pro Display XDR would tank

desmortum

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
It's an iMac, not an iMac Pro.
The way I understand it, rumors are that there will be single large iMac model called iMac Pro, not two models. There will be no regular 27 inch one anymore. So present article concerns upcoming iMac Pro. That said it is disappointing that it won't have mini-LED.

Disappointing if true, does that mean no promotion?
No, ProMotion is refresh rate, mini-LED is backlight approach. But who knows, they might not even add ProMotion at the end of the day.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Initial rumors surrounding an update to the larger ‌iMac‌ indicated Apple increased the display size past 27-inches.

No they didn’t. There were no credible rumors saying that. It was wild speculation.

It's an iMac, not an iMac Pro.

Which shouldn’t be a surprise. The machine it’s replacing costs $1799, not $4999 like the iMac Pro. I wonder when people will ever stop making up things and then getting upset when Apple doesn’t deliver what they made up.

desmortum

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
No they didn’t. There were no credible rumors saying that. It was wild speculation.

Which shouldn’t be a surprise. The machine it’s replacing costs $1799, not $4999 like the iMac Pro. I wonder when people will ever stop making up things and then getting upset when Apple doesn’t deliver what they made up.
I somewhat disagree. Since iMac Pro is discontinued and they are merging regular larger model and iMac Pro and since we saw what new laptops look like, they could've delivered at least mini-LED and bumped a base price a little. It seems to me they are trying to prevent new iMac from stopping pro Display XDR sales, like it happened with iMac Pro I believe which relatively small amount of people preferred over larger iMac.

I hope there will be an option to configure backlight. Otherwise iMac will be out of mini-LED game for who knows how long again.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Why does MR report things from DigiTimes? Their track record is literally crap. Like, worse than Jon Prosser. And, FWIW, Ross has never been wrong yet. New displays with ProMotion and mini-LEDs follow the pattern Apple has clearly been charting with its pro devices.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Newsflash for Macrumors writers
1) miniLED displays are still LCDs
2) not every Full Array Local Dimming is a miniLED, like the Pro Display XDR 32” is not a miniLED but it’s still got a ton of local dimming zones, so that would be an optimistic way to interpret Digitimes: the iMac Pro could technically not be a miniLED but it won’t be edge-lit either, instead it could be as glorious as the Pro Display XDR in terms of dimming zones and HDR performances

Maybe Apple uses miniLED only for smaller/thinner displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.