Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jury

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2020
Truthfully, the iPhone 12 will not come with any front-facing camera and the customer can purchase a lightning to camera module for facetime call.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Notchless with an under display finger print reader would really be the final development of the smartphone.

Reactions: glowplug

Jury

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2020
Notchless with an under display finger print reader would really be the final development of the smartphone.

No. There are still improvements need to be made in smartphone development like 5 days of battery life on iPhone 12s and integrate camera sensors under the screen on iPhone 13.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
We were never told TouchID is insecure.
We were, only after Face ID came out. I take that as typical Apple marketing bs... “your old phone is now crap, buy this new one”. Same story every year.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Very few people here wear gloves outdoors even in winter, but wearing a mask is now essential that makes Face ID almost useless outdoors.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear it seems. I was thinking more of gloves in order to protect yourself from germs and the like. Similar to the mask, when interacting with others in times of the pandemic that’s also important.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
I agree with your argument, but I still hope that they would offer both authentification methods in the new iPhones. FaceID is really convenient in most of the situations, but especially during summer it’s really annoying, when I’m wearing sunglasses. You either have to take of your glasses every single time or have to enter your passcode - which is also not very secure, if you’re using a 4 digit passcode. Same goes for every skiing vacation, so I would just hope to get the best of both worlds.

Buy non-polarized glasses or turn off the attention option.

Reactions: Neeldenn

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
We were, only after Face ID came out. I take that as typical Apple marketing bs... “your old phone is now crap, buy this new one”. Same story every year.
That‘s just completely and utterly untrue isn’t it? For one thing Apple never stopped selling TouchID, so you’re telling me they kept selling it while simultaneously telling people it was crap? Do you have an example of this marketing? Or indeed any other example of this stuff you say happens every year?

kb923689

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2019
Yes but this doesn’t mean that TouchID is insecure ...

If you don’t like it, don’t use it. It’s as easy as that.

I would actually say that he is in the majority, because he supports the ability to choose between TouchID and FaceID
I didn't say it's insecure. People were all over FaceID when it came out. I still prefer TouchID iPhones.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I’m interested in seeing this marketing based on negative examples that you claim is happening. I can’t recall Apple ever saying that any of their devices or technologies are bad but marketing probably wants to aim at the new and exiting. Please share a link with examples from Apple.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
It would be great of the upcoming 12 Max Pro also had this fingerprint scanner. This would unlock the phone sitting on a table...and unlock the device if the user is wearing a mask.

Can face ID have 2 modes? One for uncovered face. One for masked face.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Why can't we have both? Now that users are playing with Touch ID with the new iPhone SE they comment how they missed it and the home button.

Reactions: glowplug and Porco

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Would love if they ADDED this, but not at the expense of Face ID.
The security that they could tout would be incredible if they added this in conjunction with FaceID and allowed you to require both methods of authentication be met for your phone to be unlocked.

Going by Apple's claims there is a 1 in 50,000 [P(A)] chance that someone else's fingerprint will unlock TouchID on your phone. They also claim there is a 1 in 1,000,000 [P(B)] chance that someone else's face will unlock your FaceID. The probability of both of those mutually exclusive events happening would be P(A) * P(B)...

1 in 50,000,000,000! 1 in 50 billion. Wow.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
They are not equally secure. It makes no sense to have two when one is more secure than the other. That's like locking the door and leaving a window open.

I would argue that you are wrong. Having two together is more secure. It is like when a man and a woman are having 'relations'. if she is just using birth control then that is secure to a degree. If he is just using condoms then that is secure to a degree but if they use both together than that is more secure because if the condom rips then there is the backup of the birth control and vice-versa.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I’m surprised by all the love faceid people still have being at home all the time. Laying around on the couch and bed faceid Is pretty bad. You have to angle the phone upwards towards your face. If it’s on the counter same thing. I can never get my phone to unlock unless physically pick it and and bring it closer to my face.
I really have grown to hate Face ID I’ve these past 2 and a half years of owning a x and xs max. Sure it’s nice when you are using your phone straight in front of your face but Touch ID worked much better in more occasions and was faster. I’d much prefer Touch ID just lounging around the house as well as a face covering out and about.
I’d be happy if they completely dropped faceid for an under screen reader and behind the screen camera system so there’s not more notch

Reactions: glowplug and 827538

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
No. There are still improvements need to be made in smartphone development like 5 days of battery life on iPhone 12s and integrate camera sensors under the screen on iPhone 13.

I think you missed what I meant by 'notchless' it implies an under the display camera.
Battery life is more related to the field of battery physics/chemistry which is not something Apple is too heavily involved in. Battery life is already pretty great on the latest phones, personally I'd prefer improved battery longevity/cycles over day to day capacity.
[automerge]1588018777[/automerge]
I’m surprised by all the love faceid people still have being at home all the time. Laying around on the couch and bed faceid Is pretty bad. You have to angle the phone upwards towards your face. If it’s on the counter same thing. I can never get my phone to unlock unless physically pick it and and bring it closer to my face.
I really have grown to hate Face ID I’ve these past 2 and a half years of owning a x and xs max. Sure it’s nice when you are using your phone straight in front of your face but Touch ID worked much better in more occasions and was faster. I’d much prefer Touch ID just lounging around the house as well as a face covering out and about.
I’d be happy if they completely dropped faceid for an under screen reader and behind the screen camera system so there’s not more notch

I agree, I'm not really a fan of FaceID, a large under the display finger print reader would be perfect.

Reactions: glowplug

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
They are not equally secure. It makes no sense to have two when one is more secure than the other. That's like locking the door and leaving a window open.
This is only a true statement if they only require one of them for authentication. If they require both (or at least allow that option) it is undoubtedly far more secure.
[automerge]1588020045[/automerge]
It's not "insecure" per se but it is, by Apple's definition, less secure than FaceID.

1 in 50,000 odds of fooling TouchID vs 1 in 1,000,000 odds of fooling FaceID.

Last edited:

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Yay! Something every Chinese Android phone has had for the last two years. About time!
Will be great for those days you're wearing a mask and can't face unlock
I have been tempted to put in another profile for face ID with my mask on but then I’m afraid it would open for pretty much everybody with the mask on

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Believe it or not...
My work phone iPhone 8 reads the fingerprint just fine with a clear latex glove. I was surprised by that too.:oops:
Meanwhile, the damn thing would not read crap with just a bit of sweat on my hands without the gloves.
Doesn’t work with the blue Nitrile ones I use, maybe they’re just too thick.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
That plus a smaller edge v-notch for Face ID would be a hit. It'll appease the mask friendly Touch ID, Face ID and no big ugly notch fanboys. Price it at $599 starting would even win over some Android fanboys instead of that lazy iPhone SE 2020 release.
[automerge]1588034969[/automerge]
Except for the gloves everyone is wearing - which don't see your fingerprint through them.

Samsung was right with Iris unlock but too bad they dropped it for edge to edge display. Maybe Samsung will bring back Iris unlock like Apple is bringing back Touch ID.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

It was implied when Apple says the false positive rate for Touch ID is about 1 in 50,000 and for Face ID it is 1 in 1,000,000. Turned out it was just false marketing statistics.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.