Resale Value and the Anal Retentives

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ItsJustafnPhone, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Lets do some math ( for the typical user)

You paid $300 for a 32gb iPhone 4
    You paid $30 for a case
    You paid $20 more for a full body shield to protect the phone from said case
    You paid $20 for a screen protector

In total you Paid $370

You never get to see your phone, you never get to see how good it looks out of the box. Instead you use this frankeinstein phone that is covered in plastics and clear shields that will never look as good as glass and metal
    and you have to put up with the fact that several accessories now don't fit

Oh and plastic scratches easier than metal and glass, so you have a phone covered in scratches and lint around the edges... unless you spend more money on a new case or a new screen protector.

WHY ?
    You scream RE-SALE VALUE !!!

And you may be correct, but right off the bat you have to sell it for $70 more just to break even with a phone that was used normally. Hey maybe you'll get $100 more than one that has light scratches on it.. so that's $30 more over 1-2 years. Most people who sold their iPhone 3G's for the iPhone 4 were easily able to sell it for more than the upgrade cost of the new phone, regardless of condition

So lets recap, You spent $370 for the newest best looking phone made out of expensive materials and covered it in cheap plastics to keep it in pristine shape. Even though you will never see your perfect phone and all you really did is keep the phone mint for the next person who will buy the phone.

2. threezero macrumors 6502

you forgot case protect it if dropped. you can be super carefuly when u use the naked phone but it only needs to happen once.

3. bier-meister macrumors regular

Yip, got to say I agree with that. It's like those people who buy a new sofa or car and leave the plastic on the seats to protect from damage. I don't get it, just enjoy the product while you have it. A hundred or so £/$/€'s over a few years is not much and I bet most of these people don't spend as much attention to their spending when it comes to groceries, fuel and other everyday items where they could make bigger savings.

I never bother with cases but I received my free bumper and I am actually using it. But only because it actually makes the phone more comfortable to hold, had never intended on leaving it on but I think I will now.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is the most anal retentive post EVER!

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I choose to put either my lime green or black bumper on for work. Other than that my ip4 is naked! I choose to use my device as it was ment!

6. Schweitzer macrumors regular

So why are you using bumpers then?

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I use one so that the glass isn't actually touching the surface, this is just in case there is debris etc that might damage the phone. Apart from that theres nothing on my phone.

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Way to generalize there. I only have screen protectors on my phones because in my experience every 'scratch resistant' product released by Apple has turned out to not be so and i usually only apply said prptectors AFTER seeing scratches.

No cases whatsoever for me...i hate them. I have two free cases from Apple that are just sitting in my drawer in their original packaging unused.

9. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I use screen protectors and case so my phone won't scratch or break after a fall. Who said anything about resale value? I just don't want to deal with a
    Damaged phone for the next 2 years

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I use screen protectors but definitely didn't pay $20 for them. More like $4 on eBay.

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

LMAO! Great post! Personally, I didn't buy it for it's LOOKS. I bought it for it's FEATURES. Frankly, I don't think it's so great looking as far as phones go.

12. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Although I purchased the iPhone 4 based on it's features, I will add that it is the best looking iPhone to date, IMHO.

13. Charadis macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 16GB: $199 + $18 tax, free ship, upgrade fee waived: ~$217
    BestSkinsEver full body protect: $5.99 + shipping: ~$10
    Apple Bumper Black: $0.00 + free ship: $0.00
    Zagg 4fix x2: $0.00
    Total liquid expenses: ~$227 (not including monthly service expenses)

Anticipated resale value in 2 years: $180-$220
    Anticipated expenses for iPhone 6: ~$230 (upgrade + body scratch protectors)
    Anticipated losses: -$30 (+/- $20)

Peace of mind that no matter how rough the conditions my phone is exposed to, it's perfectly fine underneath the body protectors?: priceless

My phone is practically naked besides the full body protector. I haven't even take the bumper I got from Apple out of the original packaging, and if I decide not to, adding it with my phone in a future sale could enhance the value even more. Also, the screen protectors don't bother me at all as far as usability. Sure, it may be better without in terms of use, but they detract little from the experience and are replaceable if they get to that point. Screens/back aren't as replaceable as screen protectors. ;)

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Why does anyone care what people do with the products they buy?

You want a case, you use a case.

You want it naked use it naked.

You payed for it, use it as you see fit.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

8hours a day I use a bumper as the glass is to slippy if I place my phone down on one of the forklift I drive. The bumper stops it slipping.

16. MacBacker macrumors member

Well...considering I once dropped an iPhone in a sink and resold it (stated on eBay that it was not in working condition) for $100 more than I paid for it, I'd say that the resale value is holding up rather well. No matter the condition of the phone. I've resold every iPhone I've had, not worrying about its condition and have always made money on the transaction. I love that about these devices.

17. Schweitzer macrumors regular

No, you didn't.
    No, you didn't.

Homework:
    Explain why you definitely didn't make money selling your old phones.

If you can't figure it out on your own ask your parents.

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I use a case because of the job I have. I am crawling in crawl spaces, in attics, on poles, and stuff. I also work out of a truck and stuff gets moved around when driving and because of all of this my phone gets bumped a lot. I am not taking a risk here with it.
    This case debate is as old as the Verizon one. If you want to go naked, fine. If not, fine also. Why should people care what others do with the things they buy?

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can most definitely make a small profit if you're fully upgrade eligible every year (by having a plan that's over $99 a month). A jailbroken and unlocked 3GS (32 GB) goes for around $450 on eBay, that's about $380 after eBay/paypal fees and insurance. A 32GB iPhone 4 is $299 plus tax. This is all assuming you don't blow your profit on unnecessary things like in the OP.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why do you care what people do with their phones?

21. VivaV macrumors member

I totally agree. I have never bothered with cases - an always used the same rationale as bier-meister - I want to enjoy the visuals of the full design of the phone - not cover it up.

But I don't have as much problem with using the cases for phones - and using these Speck macbook cases...

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

A heavily used 3GS was worth $240 on eBay while a pristine with case and screen protector, $375.

In other words, $135. In other words, two months of payments on AT&T. In other words, 122 hamburgers from McDonalds.

Honestly, I keep mine pristine for myself. I can't stand to read Instapaper with a scratch in the center of the screen.

23. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

X2 It's my money, I do what I want.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While true, wearing it naked does not necessarily make it heavily used, unless you abuse it or are careless.

The good news is the iPhone 4 will be far easier to keep nearly pristine while naked, unless of course you drop and shatter it.