Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
I just like having my phone in a case. It gives me a better grip, & I don't want my phone to shatter when it drops. It's my PREFERENCE.

So, yeah. I think I'll continue to spend as much money as I'd like on my phone. Thanks. :rolleyes:

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I just like having my phone in a case. It gives me a better grip, & I don't want my phone to shatter when it drops. It's my PREFERENCE.

So, yeah. I think I'll continue to spend as much money as I'd like on my phone. Thanks. :rolleyes:

+1

The slippery back on the iPhone 4 essentially guarantees a drop within the year.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
blah blah

op you clearly didn't see the MANY threads that we had within the first couple weeks of the iPhone launch.

topic?

I DROPPED MY IPHONE NAO IT'S TOAST AND APPLE WON'T GIMME A NU 1

one drop is all it takes. I can replace a screen protector for 7 bucks, or a case for 30 bucks.

Replacement glass backs are over $100. Not sure how much a replacement screen is but it'd probably be similar.

Besides anyone who would pay top dollar for a scratched up peice of junk must not be thinking properly. I charge a premium on all my resells and include all the original articles. Never paid out of pocket besides my 2G :D

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Really? Do most people here resell their phones when the next one comes out? I've never even though of doing that haha.

But then you have to pay the full price for the next phone? So it's like getting the 2yr price on it if you add the price you got for selling your old phone?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
You're so wrong about screen protectors it's almost painful.

When applied properly, ie: no bubbles and perfectly aligned, you cannot tell that it's on the phone.

I can apply them like I mentioned above, and it doesn't make my phone look like "Frankenstein".

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
You're so wrong about screen protectors it's almost painful.

When applied properly, ie: no bubbles and perfectly aligned, you cannot tell that it's on the phone.

I can apply them like I mentioned above, and it doesn't make my phone look like "Frankenstein".

Same here, you can't tell there is a screen protector on the phone if done right. My 3G was on perfect. my iP4 I haven't gotten a good one yet, but when I get one it will be the same.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I use a case so i have a better grip on it. I only use a snap on the back type. Not a full body case that covers the front too. In making these phones look so good, they always make them too slippery.

As for resale...the 2G is selling on ebay for $160 to $170 with the box and everything else....which i have. I never used to earbuds much. Didnt like the ones that came with the phone.

Robby C

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Atlanta
I use a case and screen protector with my phone for multiple reasons, and resale value is not one of them...

1. I like to keep my phone in good condition, I don't care what other people think or how it looks while in the case. As long as the phone is in good condition, and I know it, I'm happy. Because I know I'll be able to see it when it's out of the case and if it's all scratched, dented, and etc. around the phone, then I'd be mad for neglecting a case. So I don't care what other people think of it at all. I just want the phone to look nice on the occasional times it is not in the case.

2. Protection, obviously. If I drop the phone, and keep in mind I am a teenager, then I would rather have the screen/back glass not shatter. That's one of the main reasons in getting a case. As far as I know, nobody wants to spend another $200 to fix something that could have been avoided with a $30 case or in Apple's situation- a free case.

3. Parents... as stupid as it sounds my parents are one of the reasons I keep a case on my phone. No, they don't force me to use it. But when they notice I'm trying to take care of my stuff it helps them feel more comfortable when buying me other expensive things. Simply put, it seems responsible.

4. They don't look that bad. Does the phone look better naked? Yeah. But the price to pay to fix the glass vs. the price to pay to get a case (or a new one should the old case break for whatever reason) is a lot less expensive to pay for.

Is resale value nice? Of course. But that's not why I spend the extra cash on the case and screen protectors. I really don't care about my resale value, and I mean I don't care about it at all. Everything I've owned I use it until it doesn't let me do what I want it to anymore, or it simply just becomes old/slow. At that point it's just junk, because no one else wants it. But it will still look nice. Honestly it's all about keeping the phone in good condition for me.

As always... my opinion. I know everyone has their own perspective and approach to this kind of stuff but that's just how I feel.

allaboutmusic

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
I find the iPhone 4 easier to hold on to in a case. Slim and squarish is all good, but rubber and slightly thicker I find grippier. Reveal Etch at the moment.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
...the newest best looking phone made out of expensive materials and covered it in cheap plastics to keep it in pristine shape. Even though you will never see your perfect phone...

I don't know.. I still think my phone looks amazing, AND, I'm now able to grip it without worrying it'll slip and place it down without it sliding around. Oh yeah, the added protection isn't bad either.

i4IncipioFeather.jpg

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I don't know.. I still think my phone looks amazing, AND, I'm now able to grip it without worrying it'll slip and place it down without it sliding around. Oh yeah, the added protection isn't bad either.

i4IncipioFeather.jpg

I like that case, which one is it?

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
Lets do some math ( for the typical user)

You paid $300 for a 32gb iPhone 4
You paid $30 for a case
You paid $20 more for a full body shield to protect the phone from said case
You paid $20 for a screen protector

In total you Paid $370

You never get to see your phone, you never get to see how good it looks out of the box. Instead you use this frankeinstein phone that is covered in plastics and clear shields that will never look as good as glass and metal
and you have to put up with the fact that several accessories now don't fit

Oh and plastic scratches easier than metal and glass, so you have a phone covered in scratches and lint around the edges... unless you spend more money on a new case or a new screen protector.

WHY ?
You scream RE-SALE VALUE !!!

And you may be correct, but right off the bat you have to sell it for $70 more just to break even with a phone that was used normally. Hey maybe you'll get $100 more than one that has light scratches on it.. so that's $30 more over 1-2 years. Most people who sold their iPhone 3G's for the iPhone 4 were easily able to sell it for more than the upgrade cost of the new phone, regardless of condition

So lets recap, You spent $370 for the newest best looking phone made out of expensive materials and covered it in cheap plastics to keep it in pristine shape. Even though you will never see your perfect phone and all you really did is keep the phone mint for the next person who will buy the phone.

Enjoy your scratched up and jacked up looking phone :rolleyes:

thaddeusbear

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I use a case because of the job I have. I am crawling in crawl spaces, in attics, on poles, and stuff. I also work out of a truck and stuff gets moved around when driving and because of all of this my phone gets bumped a lot. I am not taking a risk here with it.
This case debate is as old as the Verizon one. If you want to go naked, fine. If not, fine also. Why should people care what others do with the things they buy?

100% agree. Not everyone who own iphones are students or office workers. Some of you can easily keep your precious protected. Blue collar, manual labor, public safety, folks need robust protection no matter the cost.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Everytime I get a new iPod/iPhone, I keep it in a case of some sort (usually a sleeve) for a month or two, until it gets its first scratch, then I stop worrying about it and use it naked. I can't help it. They should ship these devices already scratched and save me the worry.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I have always used cases on my iphones to help with shock absorption from falls.

I have no idea why anyone would ever use a screen protector on an iPhone. I have never had one and never will. They are 100% unnecessary.

dark5

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
There is so much wrong with this thread, but for starters
automobiles != furniture != electronics.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
some good replies

as for those who are showing anger or just saying " why do you care" what did I strike too close to home? It's a forum guys

I'm not completely against all of these products. even I purchased an sgp oleophobic shield. But I heard some guy had an iPhone 3G wrapped in a shield, with a screen protector, wrapped in an otterbox defender and then still encased in a belt holder

savior1974

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Riverside Ca
Lets do some math ( for the typical user)

You paid $300 for a 32gb iPhone 4
You paid $30 for a case
You paid $20 more for a full body shield to protect the phone from said case
You paid $20 for a screen protector

In total you Paid $370

You never get to see your phone, you never get to see how good it looks out of the box. Instead you use this frankeinstein phone that is covered in plastics and clear shields that will never look as good as glass and metal
and you have to put up with the fact that several accessories now don't fit

Oh and plastic scratches easier than metal and glass, so you have a phone covered in scratches and lint around the edges... unless you spend more money on a new case or a new screen protector.

WHY ?
You scream RE-SALE VALUE !!!

And you may be correct, but right off the bat you have to sell it for $70 more just to break even with a phone that was used normally. Hey maybe you'll get $100 more than one that has light scratches on it.. so that's $30 more over 1-2 years. Most people who sold their iPhone 3G's for the iPhone 4 were easily able to sell it for more than the upgrade cost of the new phone, regardless of condition

So lets recap, You spent $370 for the newest best looking phone made out of expensive materials and covered it in cheap plastics to keep it in pristine shape. Even though you will never see your perfect phone and all you really did is keep the phone mint for the next person who will buy the phone.

Actually, I'll correct you OP using the exact figures I spent/received with my iPhone 3GS i sold.

iPhone 32GB 3GS = $340 (tax included)
Speck Pixelskin = $34 (tax included)
PS Crystal Film = $17 (tax included)
Jailbreak & Unlock = Free
Total cost = $391 dollars

Then sold my iPhone 3GS to someone with Tmobile = $450

So how much did I really spend for the 1 year of enjoyment of my iPhone 3GS?

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I agree with the OP. I never put any of my iPhones in cases or use screen protectors and the worst I've gotten was minor surface scratches on the back of my 3G. I ended up selling it for $20 more than my friend sold his 3G for, and his spent its entire life in a case / screen protector.

But to each his own. I don't use cases because I love Jonathan Ive's industrial design; they went to great lengths to make the phone thin and I don't want to bulk it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.