Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Hoping for:

USB 3.0. Seriously, many USB 3.0 peripherals and flash drives out there. TB deployment is not moving quickly. It's hard to imagine there would be a TB flash drive anytime soon.

SSD that is not a blade (mSata) SDD. If the MBP is slightly larger than the MBA, space should be no problem. They'll be many more choices for SSD and for upgrades if things aren't restricted to blade SSD's.

Better screen-higher res and anti-glare. Retina display is too much to expect, but more pixels.

Improved battery capacity. With optical drive going away, there'll be space. But there's a tradeoff between battery size and keeping the MBP weight low.

Retaining 1 Firewire port in this model, for backward peripheral compatibility.
It is a MBP-it should be more versatile than the MBA.

That and the only place you can get TB cables is Apple... **** proprietary cables. Or Amazon for a *$2* discount.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I'd buy their next 15 inch as long as it's screen is 1080p or better. For nearly all I do, the MBA will run faster than the Pro. I could go either way on the tradeoffs (weight/slim vs. power, graphics).

I also hope they kill the DVD drive and either take out the space or fill it with battery. It's 20% of the computer and something I nearly never use.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I use a Mac primarily for Logic Pro. I need the Pro for the firewire port, and the easily accessible ram slots to add as much ram as possible.

I'm pretty sure it's been noted that the 13" MBP is the most popular, best selling MBP size.

And for casual browsing, etc. I do own an iPad as well.

I can see your point that many people can get by with an Air, and I'm sure that's what Apple is trying to achieve. But merging them now would infuriate a lot of professionals that actually make use of the differences between the air and pro now.

I think for most who buy the 13" MBPro, the 13" Air is a good enough machine for them also. I know a lot of journalism students buy the 13" MBP but it's overkill for most of them...they can get by with a top of the line Air.

I mean really, if you look at the 13" MBPro, it really is the black sheep of the MBPRo line up because it's only dual core. Sure it's got a faster processor then the Air in terms of the dual core, but most I know that use a MBPro are power users and they have the 15" and a monitor at home or the 17" solo. I haven't seen a 13" MBPro in the wild in ages.

They should have an iPad...not a laptop.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Still annoying for photo editing and design. I can still see my beautiful face in the dark areas of the screen.

You shouldn't be outside.

And yes I've been doing graphics and editing for 15+ years.

Don't blame Apple for your work habits (and honestly stupidity).

You should be in a neutral environment if you are working on graphics/design/editing...not outside. Sorry but it's the truth.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Congratulations about USC grad school! I'm an undergrad at USC and I love it.

Awesome! What is your major/year?

I won't be on the main campus. I'll be on studying mostly on the health science campus but may go back and forth depending on which professor I am working for.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I think for most who buy the 13" MBPro, the 13" Air is a good enough machine for them also. I know a lot of journalism students buy the 13" MBP but it's overkill for most of them...they can get by with a top of the line Air.

I mean really, if you look at the 13" MBPro, it really is the black sheep of the MBPRo line up because it's only dual core. Sure it's got a faster processor then the Air in terms of the dual core, but most I know that use a MBPro are power users and they have the 15" and a monitor at home or the 17" solo. I haven't seen a 13" MBPro in the wild in ages.

They should have an iPad...not a laptop.

Right, but you realize they're journalism students, and like I said the Air is great for note taking. (or in this case, just typing in general.)

I think the Pro serves it's purpose. I love my 13" Macbook Pro. I wouldn't want a Macbook Air since its possibly a little too light/thin for me, and is pretty underpowered compared to the MBP, and I wouldn't want a 15" or 17" because they're too bulky to travel around with. The 13" Is perfect. I love the size, it's ideal, and it's still got a power punch. just because it's not quad-core doesn't mean it doesn't belong. I use my 13" connected to a 30" Monitor, and when I do take it somewhere I want it to be beautifully 13".

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Lineup

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple simplifying the line up and dropping the Air moniker altogether and use the small form factor for all.

13" Macbook
15" Macbook Pro
17" Macbook Pro

Would make sense to me, but what do I know? :p

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Right, but you realize they're journalism students, and like I said the Air is great for note taking. (or in this case, just typing in general.)

I think the Pro serves it's purpose. I love my 13" Macbook Pro. I wouldn't want a Macbook Air since its possibly a little too light/thin for me, and is pretty underpowered compared to the MBP, and I wouldn't want a 15" or 17" because they're too bulky to travel around with. The 13" Is perfect. I love the size, it's ideal, and it's still got a power punch. just because it's not quad-core doesn't mean it doesn't belong. I use my 13" connected to a 30" Monitor, and when I do take it somewhere I want it to be beautifully 13".

I think the 17" is too bulky also...but I think the 15" is the perfect size laptop/screen combo. Most of the editors here have the 17" and it's really a bulky machine.

I think the 13" should still be around if you listen to the chatter, sounds like they plain on the ramp up...then again, that 13" ramp up could be for the new MBAir in reality.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The last update was a minor spec upgrade. And by the time this rolls out (in a month or two..hopefully sooner) it will be overdue.

-Looking forward to a new case design (hopefully slimmer and a little lighter). -External superdrive is fine with me.
-More battery would be nice.
-although a Retina would be cool any new screen would be better than what I got.
-and the usual more ram, etc etc

The only noticeable design change in 2011 was the iPad 2. My guess is we'll be seeing a number of product design changes in 2012.

Qbiinz

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
do you think they will really release a new mpb refresh before mountain lion comes out?

i mean its only a few more months for mountain lion. even if the refresh does come out in at the end of this month i still think i might wait for the new os

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
These new MacBook Pros promise to be the most remarkable ever made. I'm definitely ordering them as soon as each becomes available.

Haha. I'm excited and plan to buy one too, but what on earth is this claim based on? We don't know much about them at this point.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Z77 Chipset motherboards are available online to buy.. Now the wait is just for the Ivy-Bridge processors.. I'm pretty sure Apple will be implementing the new Z77 rather then using a dated one..

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Why is everyone so against the 13" Macbook Pro?
My only complaint is lack of quad-core CPU option on 13" MBP. Since I connect 15" MBP to external display, I prefer the smallest and lightest MacBook with quad-core CPU (and 16GB RAM). Otherwise, 13" MBP offers only two major advantages over MBA: (1) 16GB RAM capacity and (2) HDD storage.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
My old macbook air runs fine. I'm not upgrading till Retina Display monitors are available.

This update should be...nice, however. Ivy Bridge/Power Saving Mechanisms/Graphics Boosts for 13 incher with the new chip, USB 3 support, cheaper SSD...

A new form factor? Honestly, I think the Pro lines and Air lines should be separated. I don't want an underpowered 15 inch Pro laptop because the graphics solution isn't good enough in the enclosure. I can still see a reason for 13/15 inch pro models, especially if you redo the insides of the 13" Pro.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Why should apple drop air or pro? They should continue to separate the lines. I don't like apple having one iPhone size. Apple should continue to hold separate pro and air.

Also, retina display is not coming.
In order for that to come, there has to be resolution independence in OS first. I haven't heard anything about it. Has anyone?

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
I can see this issue with a desktop, but you have a laptop...it's movable...

Move
away
from
the
window

I can see the issue with a laptop, but not a desktop...

Build
workstation
away
from
the
window

laptops should be usable in all terribly lit locations.

Sort of a nonissue anyway, since they already sell anti-glare...
They aren't gonna drop the option, I mean, look how many down votes you got :D.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I can see the issue with a laptop, but not a desktop...

Build
workstation
away
from
the
window

laptops should be usable in all terribly lit locations.

Sort of a nonissue anyway, since they already sell anti-glare...
They aren't gonna drop the option, I mean, look how many down votes you got :D.

You can't explain reason to people who act unreasonable. =)

----------

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple simplifying the line up and dropping the Air moniker altogether and use the small form factor for all.

13" Macbook
15" Macbook Pro
17" Macbook Pro

Would make sense to me, but what do I know? :p

You forgot the 11"..but I think they'll keep the Air tag.

11" Macbook Air
13" Macbook Air
15" Macbook Pro
17" Macbook Pro

----------

I can see your point that many people can get by with an Air, and I'm sure that's what Apple is trying to achieve. But merging them now would infuriate a lot of professionals that actually make use of the differences between the air and pro now.

You'll infuriate a lot of professionals most of the time. Apple will just make the plunge and those professionals will either sink or swim with them. The Pro market just isn't as valuable anymore to Apple...it's just the reality.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
You shouldn't be outside.

And yes I've been doing graphics and editing for 15+ years.

Don't blame Apple for your work habits (and honestly stupidity).

You should be in a neutral environment if you are working on graphics/design/editing...not outside. Sorry but it's the truth.

Way to assume! Man talk about a short fuse and you get work with that attitude?

Anyway I had an iMac at home, in my office, with the blinds shut and overhead lights off and the small amount of ambient light still produced glare and reflections on the screen. Some people can learn to "see through it" but my eyes apparently are malfunctioning.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
It's about time! I'm very interested to see what this update brings.

It's already been released the major change will be the illuminated apple logo on the back will be replaced with a silhouette of Steve Jobs.
No other changes will be made.
This single most important upgrade will be considered the most revolutionary, awesometatious move Apple has ever done to be at the fore front of computer technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.