Resident Evil 5(PS3 & X360 edition)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Feb 3, 2009.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think I might have to pass on this installment. The game seems to be top and all but I cant for the life of me understand why I cant at least move whiles shooting.

The thing about it is that enemies attack you from all sides and whiles you're focus on the front dudes there are others running at you from the back side etc.. I figured they put the sidekick in for that reason but I'm usually a lone gamer so I'm still out of luck.

I understand RE4 and others didn't have this feature but the maps in this game(going from the demo) seems tighter and more confined than RE4.....the zombie things come at you from all sides...they jump over fences/wall to get at you!

I would really enjoy this game if I had the ability to just walk backwards....other than that I thought the demo was really good but I'm not sure of a purchase....yet.

Now you RE fans can rip me apart.

Bless

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I agree. The controls are just too slow for the fast-pace intent of this game. The zombies really do come at you from all sides, and there just isn't anything you can do about it.

The game is beautiful, though.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Noticed a lot of screen tear on the 360 version. Looked super pretty and great AA etc.. just shame about the v-sync issue.

Downloading PS3 to check that out.

Oh yeah controls are a bit *****....

4. Chic0 macrumors 6502

I played the demo last night and I must admit i thought exactly same. Was thinking getting this but think I'll give it a miss.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Its a terrible game. I dont think Ive ever been more frustrated and confused while playing a game. The movement is stupid enough but the control scheme is extremely unintuitive, too many button combinations and why the hell does "aiming" switch analog sticks when you actually press aim? You aim your character with the right stick but aim your gun with the left stick? Freaking hell.

The huge amount of zombies certainly dont help anything. Its too hard, and the only reason its too hard is because of the controls. I guess you could say the game is scary, but its more along the lines of fearing having to play through that crap again.

They need to delay it and put in Dead Space's control scheme, otherwise Id be surprised if they break even after so many people downloaded such a bad demo, I dont think a game this expensive can rely solely on fanboy sales for profit. If I was the publisher I would be making some demands right about now after seeing the reaction from the demo.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The controls are abhorrent. They wanna keep them like the old RE to be like RE. But hey, the game ISN'T SURVIVAL HORROR ANYMORE! It's just another action game. Using antique controls doesn't cut it.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I have to agree with the rest of the posts. The control scheme is terrible. How am I supposed to run and turn at the same time without growing another thumb? Not being able to shoot and move at the same time is incredibly annoying. I do like the use of the dpad to control inventory (like Warhawk), but other than that I can't function in the game.

edit: played the demo on PS3

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK... here's the thing...

I have now played and completed both the 360 and PS3 demo. First to note that it is remarkably strange that the PS3 demo is twice the physical size (950mb compared to 470mb) of the 360 and is the same demo.

Any way I digress.

The control scheme isn't great on either, however there are alternative layouts for you to try - simply change them in the controller type in the options menu. The demo default is D, I prefer B.

Graphical comparison of the demo...

The 360 is the sharper of the two, with nice Anti Aliasing hiding the jaggies. However it suffers from ugly v-sync issues.
    (edit :- when viewed at certain resolutions)

The PS3 version - looks almost identical, however it does not have any Anti Aliasing and there are some nasty jaggies outside of the cutscenes.

It's especially apparent when you compare the two side by side.

However on a big + side the PS3 version does not have any v-sync issues.

There is a small chance that both the 360's v-sync issue, and the PS3's lack of AA may be addressed by final release.

I actually have grown to like the demo, and will buy the game.

EDIT!!!! Just messed around with the 360s settings and changed the picture to 720p and the V-sync issue seems to be resolved.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

RE5 has been a big contention point, people love it or hate it. I was super excited when I first heard it was coming out and going to be like RE4, but after playing the demo I don't know if I'll even want to get it.

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about the focus on co-op. Games like this need a solid single player first, then they can allow another player to join and make the enemies harder or something. IMO.

You know, that would be pretty awesome. Movement is too slow/clunky for the higher action this time around. I got used to the button layout (it's like something inbetween RE4 and GoW)... but... the pacing of the game doesn't seem to match. I can't escape the zombie running at me FAST with the chainsaw. There were very deadly enemies in RE4 too, but the way it was set up made it a lot more manageable, at least as I recall (been a while).

Anyway, seems Dead Space is everything that RE5 isn't, so I'm going to have to play that really soon.

10. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Wow, sounds like I really need to try this demo!

Are the controls very different from RE4?

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

actually theyre slightly worse than RE4 controls

12. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

The only thing that im not liking is the controll system but apart from that its looking pretty sweet :cool:

13. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

The no-walking-while-shooting really is pretty annoying. Was RE4 the same way? I don't remember...I just remember I loved that game. Maybe it's just that we've played so many 3rd person shooters with better controls (i.e. moving while shooting) since then that this seems really ridiculous to us now.

Other than that I liked it on the first try. I'll give it a closer look tomorrow.

14. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I am a Resident Evil hardcore fan, and I have played every single RE that has come out on playstation platforms. I loved every one of them, although I had some complaints for each one. Now, I downloaded the demo of RE5 for PS3 and I must say I am very disappointed in this game. The graphics are beautiful, but the gameplay is crap. Here is why:

- I can't move while shooting.
    - Controls are awkward and uncomfortable. And there are little customizations you can do regarding controls
    - Collision detection is crap. I often can't hit a zombie that is in front of me! And drawing and using the knife is slower than RE4 which makes it practically useless, unless you only use it to break boxes.
    - Let's say that a zombie is behind you, and you have your weapon drawn (because you were shooting at another zombie). The fastest way to shoot that zombie is to let your weapon down, do a 180 turn (there is a button that does that), redraw your weapon, and shoot the zombie. But until you do all that, the zombie will have gotten so close to you that you will be unable to hit it! You must then run away and then turn around and shoot them.
    - I can't fall back while shooting. Why?
    - While reloading, I can't move! I can't even interrupt the reloading process! WTF where they thinking! Is that what you would do in real life? Would you reload your weapon while staring at a zombie that is coming right at you?

I think it's unacceptable for a game of this generation to not have any of these simple functions. Even in real life you get more flexibility than in RE5.

For me, RE4 was good in its time, but in RE5, they should have fixed all these problems, since they were apparent in the previews game as well. The gaming scene has moved forward, and RE fell back. This is the first RE game I won't be buying. I won't give any money to the developers just to make them think that beautiful graphics and a big name for a game are enough to make it worth playing. I won't even rent it.

I think Dead Space is a far better game in the survival horror scene.

15. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

16. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I just checked metacritic, and the first score is in from

Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)

Score: 100

Are they giving out perfect scores like candy these days? Every game I happened to check recently (Killzone 2, Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter 4, Bioshock) got a 100/100 from this publication! :eek:

17. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I would like to offer my observations.

At first I thought the controls were tough to get used to. When I assumed you could move while aiming, I would end up aiming into the ground. After a few playthroughs, and a few chainsaws to the upper torso, things played great and I'm really excited for March. I know that I'm a minority for having positive views of the demo and that's no problem.

I'm not sure if it matters but the first RE game I played was RE4 and I loved it. I'm currently in the process of going back and playing all of the released ones for the Gamecube for the background story.

I don't like the fact that gamers assume that if it is in one game, that it should be in another. To be honest, I'm glad that a Japanese developer isn't watering down their game by adding 'western' feedback. Sure, MGS4 added FPS and a control scheme to cater to the masses but that was "apparently" Kojima's MGS opus.

As for RE, I don't think it needs a control change. Why do you think they made the inventory selection in real time? To make things a bit more challenging. Stop the reloading process? Naw, just manage your surroundings better. However, I do agree that moving while reloading would be nice.

BUT! Do I think it is a smart move for Capcom to keep these things out of the game, which may cause a gamer to buy something else when the economy is struggling? Not at all.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I think its time for metacritic to ban "Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)"

This game is so horribly bad that its treading in the unplayable spectrum.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So only two of us so far who actually got some enjoyment from the demo :eek:

I think this thread needs a POLL. :)

20. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I have played the demo several times, the lack of "run and gun" is disappointing. It makes it hard to play, for me anyways

21. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I played a little more and tried both scenarios. I hate to admit that it really didn't exactly make me want to run out and preorder the game. That's kind of disappointing, cause RE5 was one of the games I was looking forward to the most this year.

The controls...I don't mind them per se, I loved RE4. But they just don't fit for the kind of hectic action with enemies coming from all directions that they are going for now. I found it frustrating rather than fun/challenging to try to keep up with everything.

And then there's chainsaw dude...okay, I get it, he's a tough bastard. But honestly, how many exploding barrels and shotgun blasts right in the face can he take? In the end, it just got really annoying to me, and I turned off the demo.:(

22. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

You should really actually play the full game before you make that kind of statement. ;) I haven't played the demo but it sounds like the controls are the same as RE4... Kind of annoying since it'd be good to be able to move and shoot while zombies are trying to mutilate you... But the way I see it-- RE4 was amazing so this can't be real horrible. I just hope you can buy ammo from the merchants.

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I'm on MRU's side here, I absolutely loved the demo and will be buying the full game likely on week one of release.

The controls are NOT intuitive but they are easy to learn with some effort and can be pretty fun to master but they add a lot of tension to the gameplay, with GoW-style controls, the first level (the one with the huge executioner) would be pathetically boring, it's so fun having to manage your surroundings to have time to reload, to have time to shoot and manage all the zombies and avoid the huge AoE attacks from the executioner, you really feel like you are being overwhelmed, you actually feel like a real human operative, powerful, but human nevertheless. I loved it.

I have 2 complaints, the inventory system, I like that it's real time but it could be a little easier to manage, not that big a deal though, the d-pad shortcuts for swapping weapons are all you need.

The biggest qualm I have with the game is managing Sheba when you are playing solo, she is pretty dumb and will get killed often times unless you order her to follow you around all the time, I played one game online and it was so refreshing not needing to worry about your teammate, then again, I don't like playing games like this online... maybe splitscreen but I like to take things at my own pace without having Leon/Sheba yell me come on every friggin second like the guy I played with did.

I think people should see the controls as something that's part of the game, not something Capcom screwed up, RE5 with GoW-style controls... would be pretty dull in my opinion. Feeling the urgency, the desperation, the feeling of being overwhelmed, that's what RE is all about and the controls help nail that feeling perfectly.

24. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm really in the same boat here. I LOVED RE4. It might be my favorite game of all time. I downloaded the demo for my PS3 and started playing the first level. Graphics are really gorgeous. But it was pretty frustrating. Zombies are coming at me from all over and in order to change my freaking gun, I have to bring up that stupid inventory screen that doesn't even pause the game. Super frustrating. That and trying to babysit the co-op person just make things annoying. I thought I was going to be really busy in Feb / March with Killzone 2, SFIV, and RE5... but I'm thinking I might just skip out on RE5 and buy a used copy in 6 months or so.

25. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

There are shortcuts with the d-pad and weapons are automatically assigned to them.

Also, RE5 is the same as RE4, the only difference is that they made Chris a little more nimble and added Sheba but they also added more zombies to compensate for that.

I'm skipping on SFIV (not that big a fan to pay full retail) for the moment but Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5 are on the top of my to-buy list right now.