Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Resident Evil Village will be released for iPhone 15 Pro and iPad on October 30, Capcom announced during the Tokyo Game Show over the weekend (via TouchArcade).

resident-evil-village.jpg

During the event, Capcom also revealed pricing for the mobile ports of Resident Evil 4 Remake and Resident Evil Village. While both games are free to start, they will require $59.99 and $39.99 in-app purchases, respectively, to unlock the full experience.

Pre-orders have since gone live for Resident Evil 4 Remake on the App Store, which still lists the game as "Coming Soon – Expected December 31, 2023." Both games will support on screen controls, game controllers, multi-touch, HDR, and more.

For those who haven't been following these games, Resident Evil 4 Remake and Resident Evil Village were showcased during Apple's iPhone 15 Pro announcement. The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are powered by an A17 Pro chip that features a brand new GPU with hardware-accelerated ray tracing, enabling ported console games to be played on the iPhone at near-equivalent performance.

DisplayPort support is built into the USB-C port on all iPhone 15 models, meaning that the devices can also output video at up to 4K/60Hz natively to a DisplayPort-equipped external display or TV with a supported USB-C to DisplayPort cable. On previous iPhones with a Lightning port, video mirroring is limited to 1080p with Apple's Lightning-to-HDMI or Lightning-to-VGA adapters.

Since Apple's iPhone 15 event, Capcom confirmed that Resident Evil 4 Remake will come to macOS and iPadOS devices with an M1 or better. Resident Evil Village is already available on macOS, so the iOS and iPadOS release will be an independent purchase when it arrives just before Halloween with support for M1 and M2 iPad models. As a result, Resident Evil 4 Remake will have cross-progression on iOS, iPadOS, and macOS, while Resident Evil Village will have cross-progression on iPadOS and iOS only.

Article Link: Resident Evil Village for iPhone 15 Pro and iPad Launches October 30

Last edited:

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
On the one hand this is really cool and I'm genuinely considering getting a Pro over a regular 15 this time around.

If Apple actually allowed alternative app stores on iOS and this would open up putting mobile versions of the games on Steam I'd be all sold. I'm just not sure how I'd use it otherwise. I already buy games for my Xbox, exclusives on PS and now also on Steam for the Steam Deck. Do I really see myself buying yet another version on yet another platform? Genuinely not sure.

I'm also concerned that the only cross play solution will be Game Centre, but if I could at least switch between phone and console I could be tempted.

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
On the one hand this is really cool and I'm genuinely considering getting a Pro over a regular 15 this time around.

If Apple actually allowed alternative app stores on iOS and this would open up putting mobile versions of the games on Steam I'd be all sold. I'm just not sure how I'd use it otherwise. I already buy games for my Xbox, exclusives on PS and now also on Steam for the Steam Deck. Do I really see myself buying yet another version on yet another platform? Genuinely not sure.

I'm also concerned that the only cross play solution will be Game Centre, but if I could at least switch between phone and console I could be tempted.
If the game has their own ID system, they can use that for cross play. For example Fortnite uses that

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
So on iPhone App Store, iOS 17.0 will be the minimum requirement? Or iOS 16.x or even iOS 15.x considering other iPhone models should be able to download and install...

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
My guess is that 8GB RAM is what is limiting it from being deployed to older than M1 or A17 Pro devices. This isn't unreasonable in terms of tech requirements.

These are baby steps towards ~20% of both the the gaming PC & gaming console markets. Becoming nearly 60% of either market is just a bonus.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
So on iPhone App Store, iOS 17.0 will be the minimum requirement? Or iOS 16.x or even iOS 15.x considering other iPhone models should be able to download and install...
Based on the MR wording it appears that the iPhone 15 Pro's A17 Pro chip is a requirement.

Apple could pay Capcom to reduce quality to accommodate older hardware but I would not hold my breath.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
This is likely the start of a golden age for AAA gaming on Apple platforms.

Resident Evil Village will be available on iOS, iPadOS, macOS. Think about that for a second. One code base. 3 hugely popular platforms. Any developer that can do elementary school math will start to see $$$ signs now. I expect many more AAA titles to make it over to Apple's platforms starting now.

Oh yea, visionOS will be another platform.

One code base. 4 platforms.

Last edited:

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Geekerwan's iPhone review shows that the TestFlight version of the game has some crashes on older phones because they don't have enough RAM for the game.
View attachment 2280211
Thanks for the supporting citation for the 8GB RAM requirement.

Apple could pay extra for reduced quality to work on 6GB RAM devices but Apple wants to get people to replace their devices sooner than 3+ years.

00XK89eWyIC94invt66wuEv-4.fit_lim.size_1600x900.v1569486766.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.