Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This is pretty crazy and indicative of where things are headed. No more PC/consoles, we will just wirelessly hook up our phones or just play on the phone screen. Certainly this all ties into Apple's long term plans with the Vision headset. At least now I can see what the big deal with more RAM on iPhones is about. Hoping Apple also realizes how powerful a desktop mode, like Samsung's Dex, would be.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Then they need to code it in that way that it runs on the 1 year old flagship too. Don’t think that they will stop with this with the 15p. For the 16p there will be games only for that phone. There is no new PlayStation every year. Don’t think apple will be successful with that strategy in the gaming area.
Agree but devs are too lazy. They use things like FSR and DLSS on the console/PC side as a crutch instead of optimizing or lowering some of their display options.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
This is pretty crazy and indicative of where things are headed. No more PC/consoles, we will just wirelessly hook up our phones or just play on the phone screen. Certainly this all ties into Apple's long term plans with the Vision headset. At least now I can see what the big deal with more RAM on iPhones is about. Hoping Apple also realizes how powerful a desktop mode, like Samsung's Dex, would be.
I wouldn't say there wouldn't be gaming PCs/consoles in the future.

Their relevance will peak within 5 years and slide down to 20% of what it is today in a decade or two.

x86 is being attacked on multiple fronts.

When Windows on ARM laptops succeed due to superior cost and power consumption then demand for x86 laptops will shrink.

This will have adverse impact on x86 desktops, workstations and possibly even servers.

Anyone brazenly limited to what is in front to them will insist that the current PlayStation, Xbox and possibly the Switch is the pinnacle of gaming will be caught off guard for what is in store for them in the next quarter century.

Remember, iPhone and Android were viciously mocked for the short battery life and not physical keyboard during year 1 of their release.

Here we are today and half the world's 8+ billion are smartphone users.

Reactions: spinedoc77

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Agree but devs are too lazy. They use things like FSR and DLSS on the console/PC side as a crutch instead of optimizing or lowering some of their display options.
It isn't laziness... more like they're trying to lower labor overhead by moving that overhead to the device.

• Disagree
Reactions: dante_mr

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
When I checked correctly the game is available for the 4GB RAM switch. I dont think it’s the decision of the developers but apples decision.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
When I checked correctly the game is available for the 4GB RAM switch. I dont think it’s the decision of the developers but apples decision.
Switch version is a joke and is not comparable to the current gaming climate.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
It isn't laziness... more like they're trying to lower labor overhead by moving that overhead to the device.

It is laziness when we hear reports about devs thinking Baldurs Gate and Tears of the Kingdom are magic and how it’s possible or are concerned about new standards being set. And Starfield is a meme with how Todd Howard responded to the concern about PC optimization.

Reactions: dante_mr

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
For the 1% who insists it just buy a PC and call it a day. The market has moved on in an ever changing world.
The market hasn't moved on though. Mobile gaming today is not that much different than it was a few years ago. The highest grossing mobile apps are still puzzle games, strategy games and battle royale games.

"For the 1% who insists it just buy a PC "

And you're forgetting consoles like the Switch and PS5 exist and are popular. And provide a much better gaming experience than a phone. Both in software titles and in controls.

There's definitely a shift in interest to on-the-go gaming with the Switch's massive success and decent interest in Valve's Steam Deck.

But for the most part most "proper" games exist on PC and dedicated consoles. Not phones.

"That's why many triple-A gamers do not understand or accept RE and other titles should be played on phones."

I don't see why a given game "should" be played on a phone unless the interaction medium calls for it (i.e touchscreen).

Playing with a controller is significantly more comfortable and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple releases their own down the line that seamlessly connects with your iPhone or Apple TV if they take gaming more seriously (echoing Apple eventually releasing the Apple Pencil for the iPad).

Your "user profile" is a niche relegated to suboptimal gaming experiences. And it that works for you, great!

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
This is definitely where I could see things going if Apple keeps this up. And agreed on Dex, I feel some untapped potential there.

I'd love for them to release a controller that seamlessly connects to your Apple devices just like AirPods. And this is definitely un-Apple like, but perhaps a small actively cooled docked akin to a Switch to go along with it?

And if they ever release AAA titles on Apple Arcade (maybe introducing an Arcade+ tier if needed), then I definitely see it being a viable competitor to the likes of Xbox Gamepass and xCloud. We just need more "proper" gaming titles. It's insane how little there are on Mac and iOS.

Edit: something like this just not as clunky

Reactions: spinedoc77

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
The market hasn't moved on though. Mobile gaming today is not that much different than it was a few years ago. The highest grossing mobile apps are still puzzle games, strategy games and battle royale games.

"For the 1% who insists it just buy a PC "

And you're forgetting consoles like the Switch and PS5 exist and are popular. And provide a much better gaming experience than a phone. Both in software titles and in controls.

There's definitely a shift in interest to on-the-go gaming with the Switch's massive success and decent interest in Valve's Steam Deck.

But for the most part most "proper" games exist on PC and dedicated consoles. Not phones.

"That's why many triple-A gamers do not understand or accept RE and other titles should be played on phones."

I don't see why a given game "should" be played on a phone unless the interaction medium calls for it (i.e touchscreen).

Playing with a controller is significantly more comfortable and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple releases their own down the line that seamlessly connects with your iPhone or Apple TV if they take gaming more seriously (echoing Apple eventually releasing the Apple Pencil for the iPad).

Your "user profile" is a niche relegated to suboptimal gaming experiences. And it that works for you, great!
As I have pointed out, anyone with a gaming PC or console will never buy it for a iPhone, iPad or Mac.

The target market are people without those hardware you have already.

It may come to a surprise to many but many households do not have a gaming PC or console. They're more likely to have an iPhone or Android.

Within 5 years over 9 of 10 of them would upgrade to a phone with ray tracing and 8GB RAM. They will likely never buy a gaming PC or console as it has zero value to them.

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Sony and Xbox are not going anywhere. Anytime soon. The next switch will at best play these new games in very cramped modes. And they like the iPhone 15PM will struggle to play these games on large screens with any real fidelity without HEAVY use of FSR of DLSS.
Sony and Microsoft are fine. The big three exist in harmony. And Apple and its crap micro transaction spam wear library won’t be harming or taking any market share from the big 3 ANYTIME soon.
Well as suspected. Microsoft rumors are heating up about Xbox going third party now.....

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Well as suspected. Microsoft rumors are heating up about Xbox going third party now.....
Those rumors are happening mostly in PlayStation sites….. don’t think they’re going anywhere. A single console maker will be no good for anyone ( Nintendo does their own thing, doesn’t really compete with the other two). They just completed the biggest gaming acquisition ever….do you think they give up console market just after that? Smart way to do it, keep those games multiplatform, selling at full price on PlayStation and whatever can run on a Switch and its rumored successor, while offer them in Gamepass exclusively in Microsoft hardware. Want to play it on your PS5, pay full price, or alternatively get a Series console and get access to all of them.

Reactions: spcopsmac21

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Those rumors are happening mostly in PlayStation sites….. don’t think they’re going anywhere. A single console maker will be no good for anyone ( Nintendo does their own thing, doesn’t really compete with the other two). They just completed the biggest gaming acquisition ever….do you think they give up console market just after that? Smart way to do it, keep those games multiplatform, selling at full price on PlayStation and whatever can run on a Switch and its rumored successor, while offer them in Gamepass exclusively in Microsoft hardware. Want to play it on your PS5, pay full price, or alternatively get a Series console and get access to all of them.
Doesn’t make sense for Microsoft to ditch the market. I could see them selling prebuilt PCs that also feature a dedicated Xbox mode at boot. Or Build your own Xbox. Set specs for specific games and if it doesn’t meet the requirements it gets streamed to your PC. Basically what they already do.
But completely getting out of the hardware market? That seems unreasonable. And maybe just a way to spread disinformation. Force Sony to make some poor choices. Bolster their alliance with Nintendo by possible offering Xbox streaming services exclusively to the next Nintendo handheld. Since the court case over activation is over most of their “ secrets “ are actually secrets again. And they knew they had to lay out their deck and show Sony what they were playing with. But now they don’t. And the best way to throw your competition off is to feed sensible disinformation.
I could see $300-1000 prebuilt Microsoft branded PCs coming with a dedicated “ Xbox “ mode. Just a simple restart and you’re using an Xbox.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Doesn’t make sense for Microsoft to ditch the market. I could see them selling prebuilt PCs that also feature a dedicated Xbox mode at boot. Or Build your own Xbox. Set specs for specific games and if it doesn’t meet the requirements it gets streamed to your PC. Basically what they already do.
But completely getting out of the hardware market? That seems unreasonable. And maybe just a way to spread disinformation. Force Sony to make some poor choices. Bolster their alliance with Nintendo by possible offering Xbox streaming services exclusively to the next Nintendo handheld. Since the court case over activation is over most of their “ secrets “ are actually secrets again. And they knew they had to lay out their deck and show Sony what they were playing with. But now they don’t. And the best way to throw your competition off is to feed sensible disinformation.
I could see $300-1000 prebuilt Microsoft branded PCs coming with a dedicated “ Xbox “ mode. Just a simple restart and you’re using an Xbox.
Actually it does. They have been horrible since the Xbox One era. From a business sense, it makes sense for them to stop Xbox. Game Pass is platform agnostic idea, it can work on Playstation and Nintendo, especially with Microsoft's resources.

Phill himself says if they don't meet a certain number by 2027 I think the year was they would bow out of the console space. Many statements are being made. Obviously they will not confirm it fully yet as they still want sales (just like how Nintendo is STILL denying the Switch 2 even though EVERYONE knows its coming next year).

Reactions: Macalicious2011

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Actually it does. They have been horrible since the Xbox One era. From a business sense, it makes sense for them to stop Xbox. Game Pass is platform agnostic idea, it can work on Playstation and Nintendo, especially with Microsoft's resources.

Phill himself says if they don't meet a certain number by 2027 I think the year was they would bow out of the console space. Many statements are being made. Obviously they will not confirm it fully yet as they still want sales (just like how Nintendo is STILL denying the Switch 2 even though EVERYONE knows its coming next year).
2027 is a long time in game days.
As a few of Sonys lawyers have stated.
Microsoft saying it will get out of hardware ( as to not compete directly with Sony ) is a ploy to the federal courts to make it look like they will go under if their activation deal doesn’t go through. It’s all a ploy. They are going no where.
And the fact they have sold millions and millions of systems while still making profits means they are not going anywhere.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
[...]

I'm not sure how much economic sense it would actually make, but if they released a 'console' that played my entire Xbox library including Gamepass as well as PC games through Steam, GOG or whatever, which even includes a decent and growing amount of PlayStation exclusives, that'd be the ultimate platform for me. It would even translate easily to the growing handheld sector.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I struggle to see how anyone plays this game without physical controls! I tried playing it on my 15 Pro Max, and it just doesn't suit on-screen controls at all.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I struggle to see how anyone plays this game without physical controls! I tried playing it on my 15 Pro Max, and it just doesn't suit on-screen controls at all.
Millions of people play cod on mobile using touch screen controls. The same people will do the same with triple a titles.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Millions of people play cod on mobile using touch screen controls. The same people will do the same with triple a titles.
Except COD mobile accounts for 6% of the COD franchise revenue.
PC and console are 94%
While the mobile is profitable enough to pay for itself it’s never replacing the Pc and console versions. It’s absolutely atrocious to use touch screens for FPS games. Like walking your dog on a leash made out of your own still connected flesh.
It works, but ***** if it isn’t terrible.

Reactions: ric22

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I'm aware people do... it just baffles me how they enjoy it? It's a disaster controlling such a game without physical controls, so I also struggle to see how their accuracy isn't reduced.

Reactions: spcopsmac21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.