Retina 15" - Do all LG displays have image retention?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danielwerner, Oct 27, 2012.

?

Do you experience Image retention / ghosting on your mac?

1. Yes! I have an LG panel.

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. No! I have an LG panel, and have used it for more than 3 months.

19 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. No! I have an LG panel, and have used it for less than 3 months.

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Yes! I have a Samsung panel.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No! I have a Samsung panel.

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 15" rMBP, but the issue with image retention/ghosting/burn in is scaring me. I'm not going to pay over 3000 bucks for something which isn't practically flawless.

I've read tons of people having issues with the LG display on the retina, and most saying Samsung works great. Also, the problem seems to worsen over time.

My question is: Are there any rMBP users out there (AKA on this forum) who has an LG display and have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER? And if yes, how long have you had your macbook?

I just need to know if all LG displays have this issue or not.

If you are unsure on what display you have, go into the terminal and type the following string:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If your display code begins with "LP," it's an LG display.

Thanks!

2. Birdmagnus macrumors member

My rmbp is about 2 months old now and I haven't had any issues with IR. I have an LG display.

I also didn't do the checkerboard test and I don't plan to do it, as long as it doesn't affect my every day usage, I don't really care if it has it or not.

If it starts becoming a problem for me, I will just take it into an Apple store and have them fix it.

3. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I went through 4 rMBPs with the issue all were LG screens... finally got a Samsung and I've had no problem with the issue since.

4. willjbryan macrumors newbie

I've had the LG screen since the laptop was released in June. No issues whatsoever with image retention, although I haven't done tests to try to induce it.

5. danielwerner thread starter macrumors regular

danielwerner

To Clarify: I know most (if not all) Samsung screens don't have this problem, so I'm only interested to hear from you who have LG screens and have had it for at least a couple of months. :)

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

I've had my RMBP with lg screen for months now. Yes it has IR issues but it hasn't really affected my workflow.

7. sectime macrumors 6502a

Little pushy, how would that information help you decide?? You can't choose your screen, yours might not have IR, how can you trust responses on a forum??? Buy it, check it, return it or enjoy it. Your new here, are you just trolling??

8. danielwerner thread starter macrumors regular

danielwerner

Well, it won't help me decide, but it will help me understand if 100% of the LG screens have these problems, or just a fraction.

I mean, you always hear about the ones with problems, but never otherwise. I want those with LG displays but without problems to step forward in this thread.

9. iPersian macrumors regular

ive heard about some one who has had 7 LG displays, all faulty. ive had two LGs, faulty. thats some statistics there. i believe that almost all LGs have the problem, eventually they show up.

I also believe its a rare occasion if they dont, or the users ignore it or are not honest.

10. danielwerner thread starter macrumors regular

danielwerner

Darn it... What should I do? I can live with a few seconds retention, but not the minutes many users are complaining about.

I mean, come on. MINUTES of burn in for a 3000 dollar notebook.

Should I just wait for the second gen? ... But I want my first mac noooow. :(

11. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Don't forget that Apple most likely won't use any Samsung displays in future products anymore....so you may be even better off playing the lottery now. :p

:(

12. sno1man, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

sno1man macrumors regular

Yes they all have it and you know what else? If you try to ignore it and use it anyway, eventually the IR infects your own retinas and then all you see is checkerboards everywhere.

And not only that, but the glass in the trackpad starts to dissolve and then you fingers get stuck to it.

Flee while you still can:eek:

Seriously though, I've yet to see anyone show a real world case where this is an issue (i guess it could be and issue if you play checkers all day on your mac)

Also, many of the cooler heads have tried to tell people that this is a common attribute of IPS displays. We have three of the high end 30 inch $1600 Dell displays that are so renowned for their image quality and they all do it.

Like others have said, either buy a regular pro or buy the retina and if it exhibits problems, take it back.

The forum is full of stories about how accommodating Apple can be

PS: I saw it once on my 15 retina when I was working a 10 hour day and switched over to the dashboard for a moment to check the temperature in the weather widget. In real world use I never saw it and I use my computer 8 hours a day

13. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

well, just say your payers before submitting the order and cross your fingers hoping for the best.:) i recently pull a trigger on a 15" 256gb i7 2.7GHz 16gb after founding out what a disappointment the 13" was. though i forgot to say my prayers but i did cross my fingers.:D

samsung lcds are on its way out the door the last time i've heard. so only lg for now, and by the way it look image retention is here to stay wether you like it or not. go a head and give it a go, if you don't like it, just return it.

furthermore, i thought i've read a thread where a bunch of peoples with the samsung screens were developing dead or stuck pixels. some said they went through several lg returns to get a "perfect" samsung screen and then later to finds that their screen were developing dead or stuck pixels, in "groups", like shimmering speckles.:D

and who knows, if you wait a little longer perhaps apple might start to use the new igzo technology from sharp for their retina screens.:D but that too will have a set of problems of it own.

14. Mdwall macrumors member

I don't like the idea of image retention but I like it more than dead/stuck pixels and backlight bleed.

15. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

I've had my LG since July, did the test had very slight IR but absolutely nothing I'd notice in everyday usage.

16. JustineSophia macrumors newbie

I just got my rMBP & my screen is an LG. I've done the checkerboard test, no IR whatsoever. It has been flawless since I got it. They probably fixed the issue already.

17. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

post back in a few weeks;)

18. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Here is a simply case that happened to me. I was watching the first presidential debate and they had Romney's face on the left, Obama's on the right, with a white boarder around each man's head, and with a white box separating the two candidates in the middle of the image. Every so often, the camera would focus in on only one candidate. When it did so my LG screen displayed a nice discoloration across the middle of the face of the candidate, in the middle of the screen where the white boarder was previously.

I paid over 2k for this machine, to see all kinds of artifacts while watching a video is unacceptable. I want to see the image as it is, without any interference due to poor manufacturing of the screen. Seeing a faded shadow across a candidate's face while watching a video is unacceptable.

There's one single case. I can give countless other examples, but I'm sure this will suffice for you.

19. Aldaris, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

My original rMBP was a Samsung and had white blemish spots. replaced screen via in store repair to an LG and it is flawless! Had it fixed since early August with no issues since then.

----------

I personally don't want to induce anything either, my real world use has been all the test I need!

Update 11/18/12
    I experienced Image Retention (IR) after 3 months and had to take it into the Genius Bar. After failing the Apple Genius test twice it was replaced with a Samsung display (not that I had any say in the matter). As a note I would leave a few windows open in the background, switching from iTunes to Safari and after literally 5 minutes would experience retention that would last for 15 more minutes or more before dissipating .

20. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

I have gone through 7 LG displays across 4 stores and 2 models and 2 months (Base model and Mid-level) in Houston all with LG panels and IR.

There's been people on the Apple Discussion forums who have gone through 13+ panels all with LG and all have IR.

Anybody who claims their LG panel doesn't have IR is kidding themselves.

On a side note, the new replacement model # for the display is now #661-7171 and is guaranteed to be a Samsung panel. So even if you buy a new model, all you have to do is bring it to the store, have them order the replacement display, and then give it to them. They claim turn-around is 3 days, but my last display replacement they did it in 3 hours!

21. iPersian macrumors regular

yes! tell it as it is. this is true.

22. JustineSophia macrumors newbie

What. I don't think all LG panels have problems; not all Samsung screens are perfect.

23. danielwerner thread starter macrumors regular

danielwerner

Hmm... But how does this add up with the fact (or rumor?) that Apple has stopped delivering rMBPs with the Samsung display? Are all new-built machines LGs and all replacement panels Samsungs?

24. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

I did not claim that all Samsung are perfect. In fact, my first Samsung panel, developed white clusters on it after 1.5 months. That's how I know about display part #661-7171 because I saw that the part number had changed and Googled it and find that everyone else with that part number also got Samsung displays.

However, given how many people reported 5+ LG displays with IR, it is highly likely every LG display has IR and that the people who are reporting that their panel doesn't have it aren't doing the right things to trigger it.

----------

As far as I know, most of the machines are still shipping with LG panels. Seems like Apple is trying to get rid of stock by betting users won't notice the IR.

This problem really needs to become front page on a major news publication to force Apple to actually rectify it.