Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It seems all the m295x users see no lag.

I have an m290x and there are obvious serious issues with mission control. Stutter and lots of lost frames. Hoping it's a coding error. I'm suspecting that the m295x is significantly more powerful and thus unaffected by poor coding.

no, that's not correct, the lag affects all.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
no, that's not correct, the lag affects all.
And yet in this very thread these users say they have no problem:

kendrickphoto
redheeler
WilliamG
ra004e
Cape Dave
me

All with m295x if I'm bot mistaken.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
It seems all the m295x users see no lag.

I have an m290x and there are obvious serious issues with mission control. Stutter and lots of lost frames. Hoping it's a coding error. I'm suspecting that the m295x is significantly more powerful and thus unaffected by poor coding.

How can this be the reason? I used an old mac mini before which doesn't even have a dedicated GPU on a thunderbolt display. It's either a hardware of software bug.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
And yet in this very thread these users say they have no problem:

kendrickphoto
redheeler
WilliamG
ra004e
Cape Dave
me

All with m295x if I'm bot mistaken.

I have the i5/M290X and I have no problem exactly reproducing the smooth video posted by WilliamG, actually with even more apps and windows.

However, if I try it with my normal desktop usage, like now with 18 Safari windows (28 tabs), going into Mission Control is quite choppy. Maybe that's part of the confusion here?

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Video of Mission Control -- iMac Base Model vs. Upgraded GPU/CPU

I finally received my new iMac after buying a base model iMac last week and having Mission Control glitches. It was very stuttery and laggy so I decided to order a 4GHz i7 with upgraded graphics and run them side-by-side to see the difference. It's pretty stark the contrast. Both machines have the same data on them and both were clean installs. The i7 machine is on the right in this video and is running way more apps open than the one on the left.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqv4bddm1yjq32a/IMG_0294.MOV?dl=0

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I finally received my new iMac after buying a base model iMac last week and having Mission Control glitches. It was very stuttery and laggy so I decided to order a 4GHz i7 with upgraded graphics and run them side-by-side to see the difference. It's pretty stark the contrast. Both machines have the same data on them and both were clean installs. The i7 machine is on the right in this video and is running way more apps open than the one on the left.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqv4bddm1yjq32a/IMG_0294.MOV?dl=0

That is clearly a software issue, the base retina iMac is a very capable machine and should handle those kind of animations well. I'm sure the future Yosemite updates will speed things up.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Has anyone with an M295X tried Mission Control with a couple dozen Safari windows? If that worked then it couldn't be just a software issue.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Has anyone with an M295X tried Mission Control with a couple dozen Safari windows? If that worked then it couldn't be just a software issue.

Not very often have I experienced lag with the M295X, for the most part Mission Control is pretty smooth. Right now I've got 13 different apps open and only getting a few dropped frames.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Alternatively, has anyone seen severe problems with Mission Control *without* loading up a bunch of Safari windows? Even my ancient 2007 iMac with Yosemite is fine until Safari comes into play.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Alternatively, has anyone seen severe problems with Mission Control *without* loading up a bunch of Safari windows? Even my ancient 2007 iMac with Yosemite is fine until Safari comes into play.

My video has three applications open. It lags when I first start the computer and open Mail. It basically never does not lag. I'm not in the habit of loading up on any type of windows.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Wow, that does make a difference. Not even dropping frames now. If there is ever a lesson to be learned from this thread it's to keep Safari windows at a minimum.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It is better if Safari isn't running at all, but the lesson we learn from that is that Yosemite needs a fix, not that we shouldn't have lots of tabs open.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
My video has three applications open. It lags when I first start the computer and open Mail. It basically never does not lag. I'm not in the habit of loading up on any type of windows.

Thanks for that report duky. It seems we can add Mail to the list of misbehaving applications.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Hello all.

Just heard back from the Engineering Team at Apple today, who reviewed all of the data I sent them.

They confirmed they are indeed capable of reproducing the issue, that specific applications are causing it, that it is not a hardware issue, and that it can and will be fixed in a future software update.

I'm really happy to hear it.

enroh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Hello all.

Just heard back from the Engineering Team at Apple today, who reviewed all of the data I sent them.

They confirmed they are indeed capable of reproducing the issue, that specific applications are causing it, that it is not a hardware issue, and that it can and will be fixed in a future software update.

I'm really happy to hear it.

Thats fantastic news :):cool::):D

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
no lag on my mission control

i7/295XM/16GB/SSD

We're finally starting to understand this issue as being related to certain applications. Probably not in time to prevent scaring some people into upgrading their GPU though :rolleyes:

How many Safari windows before it starts to get bad?

bjmoose

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Zero lag on mine

4G i7, 32G, SSD, 295X. No lag, with FFox (70 tabs), Chrome (12 tabs), Safari (8 tabs), VMWare (4 VMs running, 2 OpenBSD, 1 Ubuntu, 1 Windows 10 tech preview), Mail, Terminal, Powerpoint, Outlook, TechToolPro 7.

And oh this screen is gorgeous. I can crank the font sizes down and have it completely readable.

bjmoose

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
4G i7, 32G, SSD, 295X. No lag, with FFox (70 tabs), Chrome (12 tabs), Safari (8 tabs), VMWare (4 VMs running, 2 OpenBSD, 1 Ubuntu, 1 Windows 10 tech preview), Mail, Terminal, Powerpoint, Outlook, TechToolPro 7.

And oh this screen is gorgeous. I can crank the font sizes down and have it completely readable.

Forgot to mention it's also driving a Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 where the VMs are displayed, over a TB2 connection that has a couple of disk units before the display.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
I'm at the apple store trying out the base i5 retina iMac with 8gb ram and r290 graphics. Opened every single program on the dock which is like 20 of them, and hit mission control multiple times. Animation was smooth as silk!!

Where are all these claims coming from? Lol

typing this now on the iMac.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I'm at the apple store trying out the base i5 retina iMac with 8gb ram and r290 graphics. Opened every single program on the dock which is like 20 of them, and hit mission control multiple times. Animation was smooth as silk!!

Where are all these claims coming from? Lol

typing this now on the iMac.

That's strange. Maybe it has to do with upgraded systems from Mavericks?
I had restored my Time Machine backup from my late 2013 iMac that had Yosemite (but was upgraded from Mavericks).
I do not intend to install the system from scratch though just to test that..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.