Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lores

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Happened to me days after the warranty ended. I had to completely stop cleaning the display as friction and especially water, even in the tiniest amounts, has dramatic effects in that the damage spreads more and more.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Its an awful situation that apple has yet to address. Luckily my rMBP is not showing any symptoms, even as its close to turning 3 years old.
Man...this sucks. I just bought a 15" mid-2014 MBPr and of course it's fine for now but now I am wondering if I should return it and go with something else because I don't want to end up with that crud in a year or so.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Outrageous that Apple would charge repairs for what is clearly a defect.

This is the first I've seen/heard of this issue, which is surprising considering we have a couple dozen retina MacBook Pros at work. That tells me that this isn't terribly widespread (otherwise surely I would have noticed it on one of our Macs) and likely hasn't warranted a memo internally to Apple Genius'. Remember folks, 400 responses and 90,000 views online doesn't directly correspond to real world data.

With that said... When I was a Genius I probably would've replaced the first display pictured with little to no questions, similarly to worn keys on a notebook. The second one though, that seems excessive, almost to the point of someone exploiting a "known" issue for attention. With that much damage / wear I would've been more likely to question the legitimacy of the claim.

For instance, picture one clearly looks like the coating has rubbed off where they likely lift the display to open it. Totally understandable.

Picture two though... I just don't know. I see "maybe" some keyboard marks around the middle of the display, but the rest... It's like they were using steel wool to clean it or something.

mokes

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
I don't know why they don't offer that as a display option anymore?

Short answer: greed

It wasn't exactly the most popular option, even though the more discerning creative professionals and enthusiasts would pick it (who the MBP is really supposed to target,) it wasn't substantially popular enough; and they ended up deciding to just make all of the models have the same screen, and just slap on this "anti-reflective" sticker, on the screens at a significantly lower premium.

omro

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2010
It looks like someone's sprayed the wrong sort of cleaning solution on the screen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Man...this sucks. I just bought a 15" mid-2014 MBPr and of course it's fine for now but now I am wondering if I should return it and go with something else because I don't want to end up with that crud in a year or so.

Your only option is not to get a MBP, so either a MBA or a windows laptop. :(

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Its an awful situation that apple has yet to address. Luckily my rMBP is not showing any symptoms, even as its close to turning 3 years old.

Do you ever use clamshell mode?

I wonder if I should put that thin material sheet that's between the keys and the screen when you first open a new Mac back in when I run in clamshell mode.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
This is awful. Whats more awful is apple is profiting off of repairing defective goods.

You are absolutely correct. if the parts are defective, Apple is required by law in many places to replace it, even if the warranty has expired.

apples failure to fix the problem free of charge is troublesome, incomprehensible and extremely unethical.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
If that's damage from microfiber and water, then Apple should replace those screens.

I would hope people aren't using paper towels and Windex.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I wipe mine down occasionally with 3M Electronics Wipes, and then a final wipe with a dry microfiber cloth. About a year later and no issues.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
i always said it, stay away from the first 4 generations of a apple new product.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Why not just wipe it all off? Problem solved.

Seriously, some people will complain about any old thing...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is devastating news, but these displays are useless after a cleaning or two, it appears.

I have a 2012 rMBP and so far its defect free. I clean mine infrequently and I usually don't use it clamshell mode. I use a very soft towel or microfiber cloth. I don't know why mine is ok so far, but I'm not looking to change my habits at this point since I've been lucky.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
If that's damage from microfiber and water, then Apple should replace those screens.

I would hope people aren't using paper towels and Windex.

its the trackpad and the area around the space bar scratching onto the screen when the macbook is closed.

SoiDog9

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
Late 2013 effected.

My Macbook Pro / Retina Late 2013 has this issue on the edges only but it seems to be slowly spreading. I baby my laptop, clean with damp soft cloth & then dry with another. I have had 6 MacBooks & Macbook Airs in the past 5 years and none of them had screen issues before. Obviously the non-reflective coating was applied poorly by whoever applies it.

autumnpatchouli

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
Central USA

What is troubling is that Apple rarely addresses problems. This is obviously a production flaw, and should be replaced. Apple employees should have an immediate answer if someone walks in with this problem, which should have been handed down by Apple brass.

The antireflective coating on my iPad Air 2 attracts fingerprints like moths to a flame. I have it in a Snugg case, but have been thinking about getting an Otterbox so that I don't keep wiping off the screen.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i was looking closely at my 15" rmbp and the screen doesn't touch the trackpad or keyboard. They are 2mm below the chassis and the screen have 2 mm of rubber to protect that. Maybe only if you put something heavy on your laptop and make some pressure

Reactions: Skoal

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Sounds like people are getting them replaced at no charge....at least thats what some users here report.

Just because Apple hasn't come out and said "free displays for everyone", doesn't mean they aren't addressing the situation.

Instances like this are rife with people trying to take advantage of others' misfortune. For every person who truly has had their coating wear off, there are others who simply want a new machine and will "clean" their displays with a "computer safe" cleaning solution.

Apple has to make sure they address the REAL problem while limiting the amount of people who take advantage.

If I were one of the people who had this issue, I would simply take it into an Apple store and politely explain the situation and ask what they could do. My guess is a majority will find they'll be taken care of.

Also, AppleCare is your friend. I don't usually purchase it for my mobile devices, because I'm more likely to upgrade quickly. But on my Macs, I certainly do. Extending that Warranty to 3 years makes sure I catch things like this.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Apple, PLEASE bring back matte displays. I have a mid 2012 15" and a late 2011 17" MBP, the matte display on both are beautiful.
I would take a new mbp with hi res anti glare over a retina display in a heart beat!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.