Retrogamers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yaxomoxay, Jun 21, 2016.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Any retrogamer here?
    What retrocomputer/game do you own?

(I am thinking about buying a VIC-20 first and a C64 later)

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I still have King's Quest, Space Quest, The Dig, some Indiana Jones adventure games, some early Monkey Island games, stuff of that nature.

Does that fall under your definition?

3. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

yep ! Do you still play any?
    I loved Indy Jones and the fate of atlantis

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It's been a year or two, but now that you've reminded me about them, I'm totally going to go revisit them!

What do you still have around?

5. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Before I moved to the US I had a semi-working Apple II, Apple III, the original Mac, the Mac 512K, Amiga 500, Sega master system, C64, VIC-20, Playstation I, Xbox etc.
    When I moved my brothers kindly "helped" me by taking care of them... so right now I don't have anything as I wasn't in the retro-market for a while.
    After I visited the national videogame museum I decided to start my collection of retro stuff.

6. ActionableMango, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Are the capacitors still good in those things? I would have thought they all would have dried out by now.

I was a VIC-20 user. It was okay, but the C-64 was a huge upgrade.

I really embraced the C-64. I had four floppy drives (2x1541, 1x1571, and 1x1581), RAM drive (yes they had those back then), Quick Load cartridge, 2400bps modem, and reset button mod. I also had the tape drive, but I didn't really use that much.

Favorite games were M.U.L.E., Raid over Bungling Bay, and Archon/Archon II.

[​IMG]

7. chown33 macrumors 604

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Retro gaming for me would be:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :D

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My son (he's 11) has an Atari 2600 Flashback, a Sega Genesis Flashback, a Dreamcast, and regularly plays old NES games on the Wii. Perhaps not as retro as some, but all these games are older than he is.

10. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am in the process of buying a VIC-20, then a C-64.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Glider! Brings me back to elemtary school. I just had a lengthy conversation describing what and how to play the Oregon Trail. Haha

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

c64 but lost all games (c-casettes) :( best games were poleposition, h.e.r.o., digdug, load runner , snoopy, up 'n down, commando, boulder dash, bruce lee, decathlon...

and on my ipad i have 'the great giana sisters' which is still great =}

13. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Just ordered my VIC-20, with box, all cables, working, and one game at $45 (shipping included)

14. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I'm not particularly interested in DOS gaming, but I really do love classic video game consoles, pretty much everything from the 3rd until the 6th generation. I'm a bit younger than most of you so of course some things that are old-school for me might be fairly recent to you. Regardless, I still heavily enjoy playing the SNES most of the time (probably one of my favourites) and recently I've got a massive hoard of video game hardware from a friend, which included an NES, a N64 (I used to play with that one a lot and I owned it for a bit until I gave it back), and a few original Xboxes (one is guaranteed to be working, the rest I have to test). I used to have a Dreamcast but I sold it out of stupidity, so I should probably buy another if I find a good deal.

15. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

I suggest you see if you can get Wizards of Wor and Paradroid for C-64.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I was considering an amiga to run syndicate but I found an OS X alternative that's keeping me happy.

17. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

18. Tech198 macrumors G4

This thread is or Me :)

I would have died and gone to heaven ages ago if it wasn't for RetroGaming......

Big fan of Commodore .... and collector of most Amiga Mags/games/discs (...and cracks) emulators, manuals and more...... u name it, i got it.. aka Paradoid 90, Fire & Ice, and the familiar Blue BASIC screen of the 64...

I would have liked t have the physical hardware, but i'm not about to leave circuit boards around just to convert the RGB signal to HDTV.... Least its better in software anyway

19. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I liked playing the Oregon Trail, now my Grandson plays it.

20. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am right there with you, I love Commodore and that's why I am going to re-start my collection with a VIC-20. The Commodore 64 is probably the computer that influenced me the most, although I believe that the Amiga is better than anything else.
    I can't wait to go back and play Kick Off, Player Manager, Choplifter, Wizard of Wor and many more games. I also downloaded the programing guides for the Vic-20 and the C64 as I would like to write some software for them.
    I think I might have some slight depression and retrogaming helps me a lot.

--- Post Merged, Jun 26, 2016 ---
    You should've seen my face when a couple of weeks ago I was visiting the National Videogame Museum and I saw that they had a Wizard of Wor... boardgame!

21. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Was cleaning out our basement with my girlfriend yesterday when I uncovered her N64. Her game collection is mostly junk but I am going to hook it up for a weekend to have some fun. She did have DK64 and MK64 though.

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

Same here.

[​IMG]
    ^ Pic was taken in 2005 before Xbox 360 was released. Only console I owned previously that was missing in that pic was a Sega Genesis.

I actually never got anymore consoles except a Wii after 6th gen. Xbox 360 and PS3 had my interest but I never ended up getting them. And I haven't even bothered with any consoles in the 8th gen. Might get a PS4 Neo when FF7 Remake (games) and Shenmue III are released though.

But I have been really thinking of getting a PS Vita just to relive PS2 classics like MGS3. I don't mind second hand because I think for a handheld with specs from 2012, it shouldn't be worth over $100 when I can get several good Android smartphones for under $50 NEW these days. And those expensive proprietary memory cards!

My favorite consoles ever I've owned -

1. PlayStation 2
    2. Dreamcast
    3. PlayStation
    4. Super NES
    5. Genesis
    6. NES
    7. Xbox
    8. GameCube
    9. Nintendo 64
    10. Wii
    11. Saturn
    12. Jaguar

Never a fan of the N64 to tell you the truth. My fav gens is easily 6 > 4 > 5 > 3. NES got the ball rolling for me though and PS1 probably had my best library and I was still playing it six years after I got it. Wasn't really a fan of PS2 at first but eventually it surpassed its predecessor. Dreamcast is kinda overrated sometimes but I love Shenmue 1 & 2 so much, I just had to put it #2. It was also one of the nicest looking.

Golden age for 2D was no doubt the 16-bit era. I actually equally loved my SNES and Genesis but eventually favored SNES for its variety and better color palette and the audio chip from Sony. Handhelds? Easily PSP since I could play ROMs on mine and it lasted a good 8 years for me (2005-2013) while my Nintendo handhelds makes me lose interest with all the kiddie games. Vita should surpass my PSP though if I ever do buy one.

The thing is from that picture above, only the PSP and Atari Jaguar made it with me here in the Philippines. My parents threw away all my consoles except the friggin' Jag and I left my PS2, Xbox, and Wii to my younger sibs. I got stuck with the Jag, my least used and least fav console with crappy CyberMorph and Checkered Flag. Oh well. Cloud streaming all games is the future.

But the "Jag-wire" as some pronounce it has some sentimental value to me since I did get it in Christmas 1993 when I was 13. Probably the longest device I have ever owned. So a 22-year paperweight is in my cabinet. I do watch Atari Jaguar videos like from Metal Jesus, Angry Gamer Nerd, and that ridiculous infomercial that makes me feel better. It is actually a good looking machine and the controls are comfortable albeit ugly. Just overpromised from a dying company and never fully utilized.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There's a zombie version now.
    [​IMG]
    I haven't played it, but I need to pick a time when it doesn't matter if I get addicted to something for a couple days or a couple weeks. It looks like the greatest thing imaginable.

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

25. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

That is great!
    I see that you're using the original screen ;)