Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
If we are gonna be realistic, the iPhone 6 is honestly capable of just about everything a phone in 2019 is doing, albeit much slower and less efficient...While I do believe the 6 is at this point completely stretched, the layman would not need much more...

Reactions: Burebista

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
woooooooww

I'm all for people not upgrading every single device which im one also I have a X.

But going from a 6 to the 11 and going back to the 6 cuz it wasn't an enough change seems like a troll trying to troll people on an iPhone forum site. To each their own but do you know how much change there was from the 6 to the 11? What changes are you actually looking for? Hologram projections? 5 cameras? Dual screens? Are you actually waiting on the SE2 to come out since size and weight is a big deal for you? The industry left the small device long ago and consumers caught up with that. It's like saying you prefer a black and white box TV because the colors are too intrusive and bright lol oh and SE2 might just be a rumor, may not happen so
Not trolling, there is a lot of people that are still on iPhone 6. I'm just sharing my experience. And yes, the value wasn't there for me and seeing that the SE2 might be out soon I will wait for that and then make up my mind. Surely I do need to upgrade soonish (probably can stretch it till next update but thats about it) but if Apple does SE2 that is just iPhone 8 form with update and good value then I will jump on that. iPhone 11 Pro didn't give me the value for the price tag.
Also, imagine if I came here and shared my opinion and then I would tell you that I didn't even try it. Can you imagine how much bashing I would get? This way, I tried it because I wanted to treat myself but after testing it I just couldn't justify it as the device wasn't right for me or my usage.
Thats all, not bashing people for getting it and not bashing people for holding onto their old phones. I've said what I liked and what I didn't like and based on that I made my decision to return it.
[automerge]1571337049[/automerge]
Next up: “I returned my iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB for a Motorola MicroTAC”.
Don't act like a jerk, please
[automerge]1571337138[/automerge]
If we are gonna be realistic, the iPhone 6 is honestly capable of just about everything a phone in 2019 is doing, albeit much slower and less efficient...While I do believe the 6 is at this point completely stretched, the layman would not need much more...
Pretty much. (simplified but yeah)
Speed is on the slow end but yeah, there really isn't much stuff you can't do on iPhone 6 but can on iPhone 11 Pro. (daily usage wise)

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
Daily usage, just get a flip phone. Even the homeless people here in San Francisco have Xs max lol. It’s true! I’m being a jerk now.?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but my experience with the 11 Pro has been excellent.

Video quality is unrivalled on any phone, battery life is excellent and I would imagine coming from a 6 it should have been loads better.

I can only assume you either had a device which was defective or if you restored from backup something is going on and causing excessive battery drain.

Like you say, rumoured budget iPhone in March may be the phone for you, although with sales going as well as they are, Apple might once again not bother.

All the newer iPhones are heavier because of the big slab of glass that is required for wireless charging, even the 8’s glass back makes it heavier than a 6 so test it in store before going down that route or you might get more disappointment.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
The iPhone 6 was 649$ plus tax and the iPhone 6 Plus was 749$ plus tax. Those were the STARTING prices for the storages. The iPhone 6 Plus was 949$ for 128gb. Fast forward 5 years. Inflation plus improvements doesn’t make the new pricing wildly ridiculous. What changed is they got rid of the two subsidized contracts on carriers. But they still have 0% payment plans. So is it worth the price? for me yes. but You have the iPhone 11 at 699. That puts that phone cheaper than the iPhone 6 Plus by 200 with comparable storage options
[automerge]1571337784[/automerge]
The iPhone 6 was 649$ plus tax and the iPhone 6 Plus was 749$ plus tax When they were first released. Those were the STARTING prices for the storages. The iPhone 6 Plus was 949$ for 128gb. Fast forward 5 years. Inflation plus improvements doesn’t make the new pricing wildly ridiculous. What changed is they got rid of the two subsidized contracts on carriers. But they still have 0% payment plans. So is it worth the price? for me yes. but You have the iPhone 11 at 699. That puts that phone cheaper than the iPhone 6 Plus by 200 with Comparable storage
oops I meant to make it an edit and not a reply. My bad

Reactions: 5x10 and MrAperture

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Ok, so I finally tested it. Bought iPhone 11 Pro and used it for a while (within the return period). Here is what I liked and disliked:

liked:
-speed
-pictures quality
-FaceID worked nice (but still prefer touchID as FaceID doesn't work in a lot of situations)

disliked:
-heavy
-big
-video quality not that good
-price

On daily basis, my usage hasn't improved. Sure the speed was noticable and the bigger screen was nice but now that I'm back on 6 I can say its not a deal breaker. The 11 is too heavy and big to really use one handed which is what annoyed me the most.
I also went to play pool with my partner and noticed that the video came out crappy. Yep, I understand that the lighting is not ideal but this bar was actually lit quite well as it wasn't very dark outside of the table light and yet, the video was a touch blurry and my partners face which was slightly outside of the direct table light (but still lit ok from the ambient light) was full of noise. The video looks fine on the phone but as soon as you take it and play it on your computer you realise how not so good it is. Not saying that iPhone 6 would do better job (not at all) but just saying that the main improvement in the camera is not really there yet.
Overall, I returned this $2000CAD device as its simply too expensive for what it gives ME on daily basis. I'm happy that I'm back on a smaller, lighter device and I will wait for next year to see what the SE2 will be about.
Also, the battery on 11 Pro is not as great as I thought.

In the end, the 11 Pro is a good phone but I don't think its worth the price tag. Good thing was that the notch didn't bother me and I had no eyestrain which were my 2 concerns.

For now, I'll wait it out. 11 Pro waste of money for me. :)
5.4" iPhone next fall would be great for you.

Reactions: nathasnajperowa

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
The iPhone 6 was 649$ plus tax and the iPhone 6 Plus was 749$ plus tax. Those were the STARTING prices for the storages. The iPhone 6 Plus was 949$ for 128gb. Fast forward 5 years. Inflation plus improvements doesn’t make the new pricing wildly ridiculous. What changed is they got rid of the two subsidized contracts on carriers. But they still have 0% payment plans. So is it worth the price? for me yes. but You have the iPhone 11 at 699. That puts that phone cheaper than the iPhone 6 Plus by 200 with comparable storage options
[automerge]1571337784[/automerge]
oops I meant to make it an edit and not a reply. My bad

flagship iPhone 6 starting price in UK - 539GBP in 2014
adjusted for inflation today = 592.79GBP

iPhone 11 (not flagship) starts at 729GBP
iPhone 11 (flagship) starts at 1049GBP

As you can see, inflation didn't change the prices it was Apple. And I wouldn't really 'blame' improvements either as those iPhones before had improvements too and some were even quite big (from non retina to retina for example). So, the new pricing that iPhone X really started would be considered "wild" in my books. Not in yours perhaps but thats fine.

So, looking at it now, it seems that regardless of inflation (which actually didn't influence the price much) we can see that 2014 and before were years with much better value than now. Anyway, it is what it is unfortunately

Reactions: apolloa

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
for me personally, it was worth going from X to 11 ProMax ... camera, battery life, screen size and more.
The good thing is we have choices, and not everyone likes the same.
Hope you continue enjoying your 6

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
iPhone 8.
not up to date, maybe with SE2 (if it turns out to be true)
[automerge]1571339379[/automerge]
Funniest thread out here to date. Amazing when he said the video quality isn't that good
do you truly care or are you just trolling? Because if you do then I can upload the video in question later and you tell me what you feel.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Thanks for letting us know!

I’ve never understood these kinds of responses..
We have people on here who tell us “how close UPS is to their house with their new iPhone” each Fall.

Is this sarcastic reply just because somebody is sharing that they, unlike most of the forum, found the latest shiny Apple thing not worth it to them?
[automerge]1571339607[/automerge]
do you truly care or are you just trolling?

He’s trolling.
It’s incredible how insecure some on the forum are when someone shares that the latest VERY expensive Apple thing may not be worth it to them. People here seem to need continual validation of their purchasing habits for some reason.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I’ve never understood these kinds of responses..
We have people on here who tell us “how close UPS is to their house with their new iPhone” each Fall.

Is this sarcastic reply just because somebody is sharing that they, unlike most of the forum, found the latest shiny Apple thing not worth it to them?
[automerge]1571339607[/automerge]

He’s trolling.
It’s incredible how insecure some on the forum are when someone shares that the latest VERY expensive Apple thing may not be worth it to them. People here seem to need continual validation of their purchasing habits for some reason.
I don’t know, people have a right to address criticisms that are invalid.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
He gave his subjective opinion.
There's nothing to invalidate or prove incorrect about that.
The video cameras on the iPhone are one of if not the best in the smart phone business, OBJECTIVELY. Directors have shot whole movies with an iPhone 7 Plus, without the improvements on the newest

Morrissey

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2018
San Diego, California
I sold my Xs Max and bought the Pro Max, the obvious changes I saw, are on the ultra wide camera, video 4K 60fps, night mode, faster processor and extra long battery life!! It last a whole day and still on 30-40% at night, and I use it a lot!
For me it was a good investment, I take a lot of pictures everyday because of my work (training industrial safety) and totally worth the picture quality, and not to carry a point and shoot or DSLR camera anymore, and the battery will last the whole day. ?

Reactions: nathasnajperowa

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
flagship iPhone 6 starting price in UK - 539GBP in 2014
adjusted for inflation today = 592.79GBP

iPhone 11 (not flagship) starts at 729GBP
iPhone 11 (flagship) starts at 1049GBP

As you can see, inflation didn't change the prices it was Apple. And I wouldn't really 'blame' improvements either as those iPhones before had improvements too and some were even quite big (from non retina to retina for example). So, the new pricing that iPhone X really started would be considered "wild" in my books. Not in yours perhaps but thats fine.

So, looking at it now, it seems that regardless of inflation (which actually didn't influence the price much) we can see that 2014 and before were years with much better value than now. Anyway, it is what it is unfortunately

iPhone 11 is sort of a flagship. It's the mainstream model for everyone. The Pro is the premium or "pro" one. People made the mistake last year and called the Xr the budget, which it wasn't.

Budget = iPhone 8
Mainstream = iPhone 11
Premium = iPhone 11 Pro (Max)

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The video cameras on the iPhone are one of if not the best in the smart phone business, OBJECTIVELY. Directors have shot whole movies with an iPhone 7 Plus, without the improvements on the newest

Well that settles it then!
Thanks for your thoughts

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
And they did that with iPhone 6 also. That was not the point. If you shoot a movie you have lighting already sorted. Let me post the video in question later and see how you feel about that then. And re-read my post about video. You are clearly confused about what I talked about

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I said I liked the speed and that it was faster. Please re-read my post.
iPhone 6 is slow, so true (especially compared to 11 Pro)
You mention value (which I totally get), but is your time not valuable to you?

Personally, I’d upgrade for the speed of a new phone alone, but I guess if your time isn’t that valuable, then carry on spending much more time than you need to using a mobile phone.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
You mention value (which I totally get), but is your time not valuable to you?

Personally, I’d upgrade for the speed of a new phone alone, but I guess if your time isn’t that valuable, then carry on spending much more time than you need to using a mobile phone.
You mean valuable as in that I can't wait and extra 1-2 secs for an app to open? In that sense, no, I can wait. The phone is not that slow, 11 Pro was fast but I wouldn't say that I've saved tons of time using it.
Unless I don't understand what speed you talk about :)

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I mean it's still a phone and they haven't radically changed since the original iPhone. They still do the same stuff, they just do some of that stuff better/faster. Sounds like the 11 would be a better option for you should you choose to upgrade. It'll still be big, but not "heavy".
The 11 is a heavy phone! It’s a 6.1 inch device with a big battery and two slabs of glass. I’ve got an XR so if the OP found the 5.8” device heavy, they won’t like the 11.

I applaud the OP for trying it out and realising it wasn’t for them. The SE2 seems to be shaping up to be a great phone.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
The original poster clearly had no intention to keep the iPhone 11 Pro. There certainly is value in it, coming from an iPhone 6 released in 2014. Sounds like a troll thread. No one in their right mind would go back to an iPhone 6 after using the 11 Pro, unless of course you hate FACE ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.