Returned the Ipad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ghatotkacha, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ghatotkacha macrumors newbie

I got caught up in the hype and pre-ordered one(ATT 64GB) too, worrying that I would not be able to get one (last year it took me four weeks to get one, post launch).

Opened it up with bated breath and played around with it.. The screen was pretty good, but in everything I compared, i was hard pressed to identify which was the ipad2 vs the ipad3.

Then debated hard with the following being the key arguments
    * ATT does not have LTE yet in Portland OR
    * Not happy with the longer charge times
    * No significant upgrade in day-day activites (webbrowsing etc)
    * $$$$ :)

So with a heavy heart, I went back and returned it.

Anyone else do that? I realize this is fan-forum :) so please don't flame me. Just curious..

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes. There's about 1/2 dozen threads already on the exact same subject... :rolleyes:

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

In regards to performance (web browsing, emails, etc) how much faster can it be?

As for the length of time to charge the battery, it should have been expected as the battery is 70% larger.

And yes, there have been a handful of people on here saying the same things...

4. ghatotkacha thread starter macrumors newbie

My benchmark is how fast web-browsing is on my MBA (late 2011).

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

As a first time iPad owner, I have no desire to return mine (64GB Wifi-Only, Black). Loving the hell out of it ;) To an average iPad 2 owner, however, there's really no incentive to upgrade.

EDIT: The charging times don't seem too long. Plugged into my Macbook Pro USB port, it charged halfway in around 4 hrs. (while being used). If you use the supplied adapter, it'll probably charge all the way in 3-4 hrs.

6. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Could never go back to my older iPad after using this screen. To me, the screen makes it a major update.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not sure how you didn't see the stark difference in text crispness when web browsing, it's night and day reading MR and other sites. Perhaps it's related to what sites you frequent.

But it's your device and your eyes; if you didn't see enough difference to retain the new ipad, that's your call. (do you have text minimum size set to small?)

I'm curious - what are you seeking by posting this? Affirmation of your decision by others agreeing with you? I'm sure you'll get flames, too many middle schoolers here who take any dislike of the latest and greatest as if you told them their ducks were too small. *shrug* Its your money and your preferences, if you weren't happy then taking it back is the best thing.

My only gripe is I wish more app vendors had their apps ready for the display. It's jarring going from an app with razor sharp text to one with blocky fuzzy text. But then that fuzzyness was always a minor annoyance with the ipad 1 and ipad 2 for me. I accepted it only because there wasn't a choice.

8. ghatotkacha thread starter macrumors newbie

to Deedawg:
    I am confirmed Apple addict (iphone1-4, ipad1-2, every MBA). This is the *first* time I am returning an upgrade. Feels strange. so wanted to see if i was an idiot for returning mine :)

9. chukronos macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting from the iPad? A few people have posted similar complaints as yourself. But, nobody seems to explain what it was that they were expecting to be different from what Apple said they would receive.

10. ghatotkacha thread starter macrumors newbie

Using ipad2 was a "Wow" experience..

I did not get that same "WoW with the new one. maybe my expectations were set too high!

11. glen e macrumors 68030

There always is ......by the way I'm using dictation...... I'll keep the iPad just for that simple feature... it never misses a word

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I was always so surprised why people got so uppity when people would get mad when someone would post a new thread about something that already has a thread posted.

Now, I understand.

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

My brain is gonna implode from the "longer charge times" comments. Do you people stop watch the darn thing? You don't just plug it in at night and go to sleep?

You can't tell which one is the new iPad vs the 2... Could it be because a black square will always look like a black square no matter what changes inside. :confused: It's pretty hard to significantly change what is essentially a screen you hold in your hand.

14. aka777 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand what people expected from this update. As in, what would have made this a worthy update.

4G LTE and the screen are the underlying updates. If neither matter to a buyer, then yes the ipad 2 would be good enough.

15. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Was that your first iPad? Because many of us, myself included, didn't feel the iPad 2 was a great update. They basically put cameras in an item that should have had them in the first place. Then the camera sucked for photos when you see what the 3GS and i4 were producing at that time.

It's your perspective that makes this or the next update seem worthy. Most technology get a touch better with each release. But if your laptop is 3yrs old and you get a new one you notice the speed bump. If you upgrade each time, you notice it a lot less.

16. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

You weren't WOW'ed??

I have never owned an iPad 2 but I've used it plenty. In side-by-side comparison of my new iPad and my friend's iPad 2, the text on the iPad 2 looks like it's made of lego blocks. It is very noticeable. Games and apps that are designed to take advantage of the retina display (e.g. RealRacing 2, Sky Gamblers, as well as Apple's own apps) are mindblowing and the difference is clear as day. If all you tested the new iPad with are webpages and standard, non optimized apps, IMO you missed out big time.

17. magicbrain macrumors regular

first time in 2 years the an iOS product didn't sell out ... weird, then again it does feel like ipad 2S ... no real speed bump over 2, just great (and it is great) display

if i don't trade mine, i'll return too

18. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

That's why it's best to just upgrade every other model. Going from iPad 2 it ain't that much. But the iPad 1 it's a big deal.

I got a feeling apple was disappointed by the sales. Maybe why they're talking about a dividend tomorrow.

19. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I returned mine today as well...except I returned my wifi only model and got a Verizon LTE one. :D

I love the retina display and LTE is showing speeds that meet or exceed my home wifi. I couldn't be happier. But I can definitely see ur point.

I always upgrade no matter how big or small the upgrade is. I always sell my previous device and wind up getting about 80% of my money back towards the new device. And with subsidized iPhones, I always make more then I originally paid. I haven't paid a single penny for an iPhone since the 3G (I'm in the US so no,I don't pay more in my contract). But if I were to skip a year and wait, the value goes way down. So I'll gladly continue to upgrade every year for a free phone or an $80 iPad.

20. southerndude39 macrumors member

I don't think the two have any correlation. I don't think the sales will be disappointing once they are released. I keep reading on here that stores didn't sell out so people are assuming the sales weren't up to par. I think Apple was just more prepared with pre-orders as well as stock for in-store sales.

21. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Totally agree. In my opinion, the update from the iPad 2 to iPad 3 is far bigger than the iPad 1 to iPad 2.

22. erawsd macrumors 6502

Exactly. iPad 2 was trashed for being a small incremental update. Most of the major review sites recommended iPad 1 owners not bother.

In my opinion this is probably one of the most substantial I device updates we've ever seen. 3GS > 4, is the only one I consider being better.

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Doubt it highly. My UPS guy said Friday was his busiest day ever. Expect the millionth sale press release this week.

24. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I can't help but think if Steve where still around he wouldn't have let it get heavier.

25. Ciri macrumors member

Because nobody wants to waste money.

It's common sense. Why pay $500.00 for the new iPad when you can get an iPad 2 for $400.00?

Just go by the features:

Retina display: Looked at the screen, it's no better than my laptop screen. It can't play HD videos from YouTube. The term retina is just redundant. If you squint your eyes, you might see something, but other than that, not fascinating.

A5X chip: Quad-core graphics. Um, for what? There's no real graphics intensive games on iOS. So, toss.

iSight camera: Well, it's high definition now, but so is my phone. So would I rather record from a phone or an big picture frame...you decide.

4G: Wi-Fi.

Dictation: If it's not Siri, then why would I want it?

_______

And that's it. Be smart about it. I cannot justify $500-$800 dollars on this. I will recommend an iPad 2 to anyone who asks.

Buy an iPad 2. It's thinner and lighter.