Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
to Deedawg:
I am confirmed Apple addict (iphone1-4, ipad1-2, every MBA). This is the *first* time I am returning an upgrade. Feels strange. so wanted to see if i was an idiot for returning mine :)

I think you should wait for more Retina Display-compatible apps come out. That will help make the screen look more impressive.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I can't help but think if Steve where still around he wouldn't have let it get heavier.

Ditto, I have been thinking this for a while.

He always demanded perfection.

His mere presence created a "reality distortion field", which drove his designers and engineers toward near-impossible achievements. IMO, if Steve was still around, the new iPad would be as thin as the iPad 2, and weigh the same if not less.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I agree . Jobs would of demanded a new battery tech which is light.

I like my new iPad but I'm hard pressed to tell people with iPad 2s to upgrade especially when they won't get much money from the sale of the iPad 2.

The weight is very notible.

But damn that screen is lovely

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Then debated hard with the following being the key arguments
* ATT does not have LTE yet in Portland OR
* Not happy with the longer charge times
* No significant upgrade in day-day activites (webbrowsing etc)
* $$$$ :)

So with a heavy heart, I went back and returned it.

Anyone else do that? I realize this is fan-forum :) so please don't flame me. Just curious..

I have poor to non existent LTE however I enjoy the faster speeds of HSPA+.

Charge times for me on the included AC adapter are an hour or so longer However trying to charge connected to my PC is futile.

Love the extended battery life on an Airplane with all the radios off.
HD Videos look fantastic

Camera on my iPad 2 was useless for photos.
This camera actually gives me quality photos. Used it to capture a white board in a conference presentation rather then take notes.
Holding it like a clipboard captured a 1080 video with great sound of a lab demo and nobody was the wiser.

Dictation mode is brilliant. So easy to capture thoughts free form and edit later. Some of the choices it makes even provide comic relief. :)

This iPad has raised the bar for me and I don't think I am going back.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Because nobody wants to waste money.

It's common sense. Why pay $500.00 for the new iPad when you can get an iPad 2 for $400.00?

Just go by the features:

Retina display: Looked at the screen, it's no better than my laptop screen. It can't play HD videos from YouTube. The term retina is just redundant. If you squint your eyes, you might see something, but other than that, not fascinating.

A5X chip: Quad-core graphics. Um, for what? There's no real graphics intensive games on iOS. So, toss.

iSight camera: Well, it's high definition now, but so is my phone. So would I rather record from a phone or an big picture frame...you decide.

4G: Wi-Fi.

Dictation: If it's not Siri, then why would I want it?

_______

And that's it. Be smart about it. I cannot justify $500-$800 dollars on this. I will recommend an iPad 2 to anyone who asks.

Buy an iPad 2. It's thinner and lighter.

This makes no sense. Why spend $400 when you get the new one for $500? It is $100 more, not sure why you can't justify $500, but $400 Is a non issue.

Besides, I have plenty of money since I sold my iPad 2 and spent $100 for the new one.

I would say buy the 2 if it dropped to $300.

You are either a bitter person or troll.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tell me you guys are being sarcastic here.

Weight gain, seriously? 0.11 pounds (49 grams)
Depth? 0.02 inch (0.6mm)

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana

And that's it. Be smart about it. I cannot justify $500-$800 dollars on this. I will recommend an iPad 2 to anyone who asks.

If you cannot afford one I get it, but the bulk of your post is utter nonsense!

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010

It's common sense. Why pay $500.00 for the new iPad when you can get an iPad 2 for $400.00?

Just go by the features:

Retina display: Looked at the screen, it's no better than my laptop screen. It can't play HD videos from YouTube. The term retina is just redundant. If you squint your eyes, you might see something, but other than that, not fascinating.

A5X chip: Quad-core graphics. Um, for what? There's no real graphics intensive games on iOS. So, toss.

iSight camera: Well, it's high definition now, but so is my phone. So would I rather record from a phone or an big picture frame...you decide.

_______

What laptop do you have? Out of pure curiosity

Ciri

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Well, I think that about sums it up. You're a troll.

No, no, I'm serious. I walked up to the iPad screen and I was like..uh, what's so fab about it? When the sales associate says, "Well, the little chair on this icon is a little straighter I think." You then know you're trying too hard. I will say that I was impressed by iBooks, but then again, I don't read. Everything else was just normal looking. We've had retina on our iPhones for ages guys, it's not new.

This makes no sense. Why spend $400 when you get the new one for $500? It is $100 more, not sure why you can't justify $500, but $400 Is a non issue.

Besides, I have plenty of money since I sold my iPad 2 and spent $100 for the new one.

I would say buy the 2 if it dropped to $300.

You are either a bitter person or troll.

Because it's not worth the extra $100. And people who are money conscious are always going to try to get the better deal. The iPad 2 is the better deal.

Just because the iPad is new doesn't make it better. It's heavier and that's a big turn off. I never would have imagined it would get heavier, the last version was thinner, lighter faster, but I guess they scrapped that plan?

...I understand why a customer would buy an iPad 3, because if you like the company enough, you will buy it no matter what. I know. But I'm speaking for the common folk, for them, it doesn't make any sense.

This is supposed to be a fun conversation, personal attacks aren't fun..

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Because it's not worth the extra $100. And people who are money conscious are always going to try to get the better deal. The iPad 2 is the better deal.

Sounds like people I hear who say they are still happy with the iphone 3. The 4G version is an excellent deal.

Just because the iPad is new doesn't make it better. It's heavier and that's a big turn off. I never would have imagined it would get heavier, the last version was thinner, lighter faster, but I guess they scrapped that plan?

It's 3.5 ounces heavier, that's like 3 or 4 postage letters and you consider this heavy. 1st Ipad was 1.6 pounds and still not an issue.

...I understand why a customer would buy an iPad 3, because if you like the company enough, you will buy it no matter what. I know. But I'm speaking for the common folk, for them, it doesn't make any sense.

Common folk wouldn't be buying a mac. They'd head down to their local walmart and pick up the cheapest tablet. Better yet, for $199 buy a kindle Fire, which is light.

If weight was a real concern for me, I'd buy a BlackBerry playbook, which isn't too bad at all.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
Ditto, I have been thinking this for a while.

He always demanded perfection.

His mere presence created a "reality distortion field", which drove his designers and engineers toward near-impossible achievements. IMO, if Steve was still around, the new iPad would be as thin as the iPad 2, and weigh the same if not less.

You don't think Steve Jobs knew the weight of the iPad before he died?

Last edited:

lique831

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2011
No, no, I'm serious. I walked up to the iPad screen and I was like..uh, what's so fab about it? When the sales associate says, "Well, the little chair on this icon is a little straighter I think." You then know you're trying too hard. I will say that I was impressed by iBooks, but then again, I don't read. Everything else was just normal looking. We've had retina on our iPhones for ages guys, it's not new.

For $100 extra dollars you get a better screen (what does your laptop have to do with it?), a much better camera, dictation, and the quad core graphic processor. All of these items will help with resale value. Just for that fact alone, it's worth $100 extra dollars.

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I wonder what people are looking at when they say this screen is no better than the iPad 2? Make sure you're viewing something that will take advantage of the increased resolution.

To me, the new screen is simply breathtaking.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Nonsense isn't fun either. I can actually read the iPad without my glasses. There is no comparison to the 2. We haven't all had retina screens for ever. Maybe people should spend less on their phones to. Why did you buy an iPhone when you could just get a trac phone. Both make calls and texts.

----------

How weak would you have to be to:

1 feel the difference in weight
2. Not be able to hold it

Just asking because I can't tell the difference.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I have returned mine for a full refund. Yellow 1/4 top of my screen with blotches everywhere else (enough about that). I live hours from an Apple Store and don't want to go through the shipping replacement drill. I will stick with my iPad 2 until our Best Buy/Target/Walmart get more back in stock. They all sold out the first day.

I read constantly and want the new iPad for the clear text.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008

The problem is that you're all over the place. Are you comparing the new iPad to a laptop or are you comparing it to the iPad 2 or to the iPhone? I would say 95 out of 100 people have been wow'd at how much better the new display is compared to the iPad 2. In fact, a photographer did a review the other day and compiled an image of an eagle's face, split down the middle with the old iPad resolution on the left and the new one on the right. It was pretty obvious how much better the new display is. But apparently it's no better than your laptop's display, which is why you recommend the iPad 2 to everyone? How does that even make sense?

By the way, did you bother looking at a web page? All of the text is just as substantially upgraded as iBooks. But maybe you don't read web pages either? :)

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008

I worked at BB during college and saw people tell me the DVD looked as good as the Blu-Ray. No joke. 30-50yr old people told me they didn't see what was the big deal. They also never noticed the stretched out screen that 4:3 looks like when you force it to be 16:9. Does that make them right?

I expected that people, in general, won't look at the screen and realize what's in it. But the screen is a lot better. From color saturation to clarity.

But there is $100 worth of upgrades in the new iPad over the 2. Not to mention that the resale value and the number of interested buyers will be higher with the new one when it's time to unload it.

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
I think it's a valid update and is worth buying. Sure it might be tiny bit faster and might have better connection possibilities, but the main selling point of any pad is the screen. Apple and taken that into account and produced the clearest, highest quality screen and beefed up the graphics. That's what a tablet's primary upgrade should be.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Using ipad2 was a "Wow" experience..

I did not get that same "WoW with the new one. maybe my expectations were set too high!

So iPad 1 to iPad 2 was a "wow" experience with no screen upgrade, but the third one goes to retina and you say "meh"?

I fail to see the logic.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX

Just go by the features:

_______

While I do not agree with your opinions of the features listed above, All of those features in bold were known prior to the ability to purchase. As was the lowered price of the old ipad 2. That is why I asked the question, what were people expecting? Common sense would be to not purchase the iPad 3 if you did not care about the upgraded features. Common sense would also be to check it out in person before purchasing it if you weren't sure if all the upgrades were going to work for you. So, why purchase it knowing you didn't want those upgrades, and then return it? Were the people doing that expecting Apple to secretly put an unadvertised amazing feature as well as the major upgrades they already included? That is what I am wondering.

I personally don't think it would be smart to pay $400 for the older iPad 2, when for only $100 more (the same price as last year's release) I could have the newest model with the upgrades you listed in Bold above. Of course, just like when people bought the iPhone 3GS when the 4 was available, I would never fault anyone if the iPad 2 was all they could afford.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I agree . Jobs would of demanded a new battery tech which is light.

I like my new iPad but I'm hard pressed to tell people with iPad 2s to upgrade especially when they won't get much money from the sale of the iPad 2.

The weight is very notible.

It is still lighter than the iPad 1. I suspect that they will make it lighter with the next update, since they will be able to use more power-efficient processors and LTE chipsets.

The new iPad isn't necessarily geared toward iPad 2 owners. It is geared toward new buyers and those who have the first iPad. The iPad's weight is about average for tablets.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

How exactly is .11 lb so noticeable that it's a "turn off"? The weight and depth increase is negligible, and given that the new iPad packs a battery with almost twice the capacity into a device marginally larger is impressive and represents a big advance in battery technology. The higher resolution makes a big difference in apps/games optimized for the new display (including Tweetbot, Flipboard, Reeder, Readability, Infinity Blade Ii, etc.) I had my iPad 2 with me when I picked up the new iPad, and the difference in the two screens was markedly noticeable. The new iPad is also faster than the iPad 2, not slower.

I also sold my 32GB iPad2 Wifi for $340, so I paid less for the new iPad (32GB WiFi + LTE) than I would a 16GB iPad2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.