Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I dug out my stand Qi charger from wayyyyyy back when I have a Lumia 920 (its kind of amazing and sad that it took Apple this long to get on board but I appreciate they used a known standard) for the desk. It works great. I can just tap the screen anywhere when the phone is asleep to wake it and it can see my face for faceid. Extra bonus that it’s effortless charging.
Slightly off topic but...

I did the same thing. I got the charger for free from ATT. Only had the Lumia for a week and the charger has been in a box since then. Was very happy to see it work and the fact I didn’t have to buy another charger.

Reactions: lordofthereef

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I wish I kept the measurements about surface area. If you include the notch “ears” it’scaxtually slightly bigger than a plus. If you don’t it’s slgihtly smaller.

The problem lies within aspect ratios and how we measure screens diagonally. This worked when we had square screens for decades. Now it’s just a worthless unit of measure.

I think the biggest issue with size, or more to the point aspect ratio, is to do with the X being about quarter of an inch thinner than the Plus sizes. It does make a difference, no doubt about it, for some it's probably too much of a difference.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Yesterday in another thread I also saw a forum member accusing another member of lying about owning an iPhone X. He had to post pictures of the phone, receipt etc. to prove he owns one, just like the OP of this thread had to post a receipt (post #109). This is something that annoys me so much that I'm planning to visit this forum much less often. It's absolutely insane that forum members are accusing others of being liars. This is what a moderator had to say in the other topic about this:

View attachment 732212

Whatever, he was making blatant mistakes in operation that cast doubt that he owned or had ever operated any iPhone. There are so many troll posts on here from non iPhone owners that you just HAVE to ask sometimes.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Odd, I don't have that option under Face ID & Passcode
yep.. odd.
it's near the bottom:

i wonder if some other preference eliminates the option for this one?

IMG_80A30B97EBAC-1.jpeg

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
2. My phone is always on my desk and with touch ID, I can easily unlock the phone without picking it up and take a quick glance at notifications. I can't do that with the iPhone X, now I have to pick up the unit for face ID and swipe up, not convenient at all.
So there's this thing called a screen on the front of it. You know, that big expanse of space taking up most of it. See it? Tap it. There, notifications on show. If you want to reply, pick it up as you would anyway, unlock it and reply. Simples.

Like I said before, you clearly didn't buy one and are just spreading verbiage.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
People who say that any of the Plus models have a brighter screen don’t know what they are talking about! Go to Settings/General/Accessibility and turn off Auto Brightness! The X screen is not even comparable to a Plus screen. I compared it to a 6S Plus that I have and a 8 Plus that my friend has. The X screen is so much brighter, the contrast/white balance is way better, too.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
What the... I don’t have the attention section at all

Attachments

• 5B796F88-1106-4E6E-A365-C2A862837DF8.png
    5B796F88-1106-4E6E-A365-C2A862837DF8.png
    411.1 KB · Views: 160

SparklyApple

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
I had that off because Face ID is failing far too often for me... was hoping that might help. I’ve redone the Face ID setup a couple of times as well. I’m just not getting on with it. When it does work it’s amazing, but it’s about 50/50 to whether it will actually work.

Both attention aware toggles are definitely on now. Still dims the screen if I’m reading a full page of text.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
People who say that any of the Plus models have a brighter screen don’t know what they are talking about! Go to Settings/General/Accessebity and turn off Auto Brightness! The X screen is not even comparable to a Plus screen. I compared it to a 6S Plus that I have and a 8 Plus that my friend has. The X screen is so much brighter, the contrast/white balance is way better, too.
The thing is, most people don't understand what makes a good display. At the end of the day, contrast, colour depth and HDR are king. It's not about outright brightness, it's about the difference in brightness between the darkest blacks and the brightest whites. The iPhone X I saw today had a wonderfully warm, accurate display IMO.

It's like going to buy a TV and seeing walls of them, only to be attracted to the one that looks most vivid. Yeah, get that home and then watch a movie - total garbage. A properly calibrated display will look natural and not dazzle you. That's how Apple have pitched theirs, unlike Samsung who go for vivid.

Reactions: DiveKitty

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
If you’re coming from a Plus wouldn’t you check it out in a store first to make sure the smaller size didn’t bother you. I mean it was well known the 10 is smaller and more narrow than the Plus.

Not really. I didn’t know that. I just saw 5.8 inch display. And like someone that isn’t a techie, I’m thinking this thing must have a huge beautiful display!

So I was shocked, but have adjusted to the smaller compact size. But at first I felt like Apple was messing with me. Like you think ha ha, where is the real phone? lol

mbguy4950

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Bham, AL
7 Plus to X and I love it. My old phone feels fat and dated. To each their own though. That’s why we have choices. Moving on.

Ditto...I did launch day for iPh6+ and defended the size. Now coming from iPh7+ I love the feel of the X especially in the UAG case. FaceID has been perfect; screen is beautiful. Gonna take a day or two to get used to App swiping though...

It does make me wonder how the original iPhone ever got off the ground being so small...:D

Reactions: Cyberguycpt

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
So I found the settings but they are under General/Accessibility

Attachments

• 76F4CD34-F33B-4986-BDF0-A25CE0F198BB.png
    76F4CD34-F33B-4986-BDF0-A25CE0F198BB.png
    378.8 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: flat five

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Ditto...I did launch day for iPh6+ and defended the size. Now coming from iPh7+ I love the feel of the X especially in the UAG case. FaceID has been perfect; screen is beautiful. Gonna take a day or two to get used to App swiping though...

It does make me wonder how the original iPhone ever got off the ground being so small...:D

I never used multitasking before but I love the bottom swipe through apps.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Not really. I didn’t know that. I just saw 5.8 inch display. And like someone that isn’t a techie, I’m thinking this thing must have a huge beautiful display!

So I was shocked, but have adjusted to the smaller compact size. But at first I felt like Apple was messing with me. Like you think ha ha, where is the real phone? lol
My 14 year old daughter isn't a techie but even she knew it was a wider aspect screen, hence 5.8" was not directly comparable to the plus phones. Anyway, compared to my iPhone SE, it is a huge, beautiful display.

Reactions: DiveKitty

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Wow why are so many people so critical towards others that just don't like the size jump backwards?

It's insane how so many right away flame and say your hating, you don't know what you're saying, etc?

Hating is a very different thing, and seriously this is not an Android, Apple debate. Some people just don't feel the price nor the things that need to be given up from a plus to the X are worth the trade off.

I like the X, it's a real nice phone and honestly it does what I need, the screen is very nice and more like my S8 was, the camera is great, the volume on the speakers is fantastic, even calls are nice and loud and clear, the actual experience using the phone is very positive. Even getting used to the gestures has been fairly easy.

However, let me just say I do miss the size of my 7 plus, and some of the things it brought to the table, namely the battery life. But I'm going to give my X a chance, I'm going to let the battery calibrate, and I'm going to see how the next week goes, I do honestly think this is the best phone Apple has ever made, it's not their fault I have really big hands, it's just their fault that I really loved the plus model the last few years, everything except those huge bezels. If they can make a phone thats bigger than the X with all the plus features and give it small bezels I'd be in..yea I guess that would be the S or plus models next year hopefully.

So with that said I'm going to give it some time and if i just can't get around some size issues I'll just exchange it for the 8plus which sorry I have to say I truly do like. Especially the blacked out one with no shiny bands around it and that glass back I can use for wireless charging, sure the bezels are still there, but the insides match the X without the full blown camera experience and offer a bigger battery.

So people if someone voices their opinion, maybe just hear them out and see that it's just their preference and not really based on hating at all!
Half the people here want to be petted and told that they did a good job buying the iPhone X. That's it. They want to justify the fact that they spend $1,000 on an iPhone. They'll be the same ones in public trying to show everyone that they have an X.

Come next year, they will name every single thing wrong with the X. ''I have burn in. I can't stand the notch. etc" Because Apple is genius when it comes to marketing. It's a feature until its not. Then Apple will have these same people paying $1000 again to fix the features of the previous model.

How many people crapped on the stylus and then immediately bought the $150 Apple Pencil? Or didn't like big phones but IMMEDIATELY bought the 6 Plus?

Apple's job is easy. There are many ignorant people that identify with their phones. Make several versions of it, but make sure you have all the features in the high end phone over $1000. If it's missing a feature the competition has, then you don't need it. But when you finally integrate that feature into the next phone, you have people buying it because it's ''premium''.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
What if you came from 6 plus?

I came from a 7 Plus and I'm loving my X so far.

I am getting a wireless charger/stand for my desk (I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07125FLFR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ... along with a QC 3.0 USB wall charger, total $43) so that when it's on my desk I can just touch the screen and have it unlock without me having to lift the phone or anything. Where I keep it on my desk is pretty far off to the side, so the FaceID has a hard time with the extreme angle. I've jury rigged a tilty-stand for it now and it works great in its normal spot now, but I like the idea of having the wireless charging stand to put it on instead; it'll look nicer and charge at the same time. :)

Oh, and the 'sitting flat a couple feet away from my face' not withstanding, FaceID has been brilliant.

Reactions: pat500000

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Why do people take it so personally if someone doesn't like a product as if it is somehow a personal dig at those who like it? I don't understand this mentality. The only people being "haters" are those who post things like this like petty kindergarteners because someone happens to dislike an object that they like. So juvenile.
People need their ego stroked.

Reactions: myrtlebee

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Half the people here want to be petted and told that they did a good job buying the iPhone X.
aw come on.. half?
are you exaggerating on purpose or is that really what you think?

maybe a handful of people think like that but nowhere close to half.

idk, i couldn't even read the rest of your post since it started off this way.

Reactions: AJsAWiz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.