iPhone X Returning my iPhone X today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wongster41, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

Don’t think you had one. I am able to unlock my X whilst it’s on the desk as long as it’s within a couple of feet of my torso.

You don’t have to swipe up for notifications either (don’t think you own any iPhones after that remark)

The screen is way better than my 7 Plus and 8 and if you don’t like it warm then turn off True Tone which the 7 didn’t have.

2. michial macrumors 6502a

michial

I love my 8 Plus, especially after trying the X in the store yesterday. The screen on my Plus is better. I’ll wait until next year to see if they work out some of the oled kinks.

3. SparklyApple macrumors member

You might be able to use an X one handed... I can’t.

4. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

Not mine, my 7Plus was noticeably brighter and cooler. I’ve already accepted the fact that not all iPhones are created equally. Maybe I just a good batch of 7 Plus and a bad batch of the X, nonetheless, the X has been returned.

5. caesarp macrumors 6502a

I ain't watching any video on a phone screen for perfection. If I want that, I'll watch on my 65 inch HD sony, or perhaps my Ipad Air. A relatively tiny phone screen, who gives a hoot. These things (plus or X) are NOT made for critical viewing. More like convenience.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    Disagree. The X has faceID. Face ID is freekin' awesome. Not just for the seamless unlock process, but also for everything else it entails -- apps that require passcodes, websites. Apple Pay. All of it, way smoother and better. My banking app now takes faceID -- way better than dealing with the passcode entry before. Websites that require username and passwords, it pulls from your system and adds it in after faceID authenticates you. FaceID has way more implementation than just unlocking phone -- people don't realize that.

6. IconIc215 macrumors 6502

Mine went back today as well.....but in doing so I got to check out SG in person. Not bad compared to the Silver version which I had. The Apple store had plenty of stock and was debating about giving a different color choice a go. Not sure if it was the phone itself or the color that put me off but nonetheless back to the 7+ for now at least. After a day with the device I left with the impression the X was more of an upgrade for the normal 7/8 users than the plus. Now if they came out with an X+ I would surely be on board.

7. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

Here’s my refund receipt
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    Ok, I prefer to watch it in the aspect ratio the content was shot in, call me crazy.

Attached Files:

8. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Yes by cutting off part of the video and hiding faces behind the notch

Sorry but thats BS its closer to watching video on my old iPhone 6.

9. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

Nothing much.

10. caesarp macrumors 6502a

I do too, for critical viewing -- but who cares on a relatively tiny phone screen. That's like saying 4K makes a diff on a phone screen. It really doesn't matter with the sizes for hand held devices. Aspect ratio I care about on a 65 inch TV or maybe my iPad. A phone -- hah, its convenience viewing at that point.

11. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Not in full screen mode.

12. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Umm, what about FaceID. It's awesome.

13. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't you wait a few days? You're already paying a restocking fee. I had the 6+, 6S+ and 7+. I went to the 8. At first, the phone felt super tiny. Within a few days, my roommates Plus seemed so huge. So huge I couldn't believe I ever had a phone that big. It seemed 2x as big as the Pluses I had. Your hands adjust to the size, and what one seemed huge doesn't seem so big, and what once seemed tiny doesn't seem so small.

I had the same feeling as you when I got the 6+. I got it launch day (Friday) and thought the size was just ridiculous and I was instantly planning on taking it back the following Monday and getting the 6. By Monday I was in love with the plus. I had already adjusted to it.

14. caesarp macrumors 6502a

I don't do critical viewing on a phone. It's merely convenience viewing. Who cares what's cut off. Are you watching Lord of the Rings or Lawrence of Arabia on your phone? If its a cat video from youtube -- who cares?

15. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

and what?
    that doesn't happen on your 7 plus?
    and even worse so in many cases?

16. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

i watch all my TV Show episodes (20 to 40 mins) on my iPhone cuz i am on a 90 mins commute every day and i cbf carrying my iPad daily on top of it

Why would it be cuz off on the iPhone Plus? you dont need to zoom in on the iPhone Plus cuz it fits the screen while on the X you got those big as bars on the sides because of the notch and the round edges

17. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

18. Milese3 macrumors 6502

I came from 7+, I love the X.

Screen is definitely an upgrade. Deeper blacks, higher contrast and higher resolution. Oddly, opposite to what some people are saying, the X feels bigger than the 7+ to me, brighter too!

19. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

20. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

more like what?

as far as physical size of content,
    some videos/photos/aspect ratios are going to perform better on iPhone Plus.
    some will perform better on X.

you understand this, right?

21. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

The 8 and 8 Plus are classic Apple bridge products. The X is not ready to be the only phone available from a price and production capacity standpoint. I am sure there will be a X Plus model and the next iteration of the X form factor will probably be slightly less expensive and the Plus will slide into the current X price point. If we are to believe Apple, the X was originally planned for next year, but got moved up.

Having said that, the X is where iPhone is going. Bezels, home buttons, and TouchID will be gone from new phones probably starting with next year's lineup. FaceID just makes a ton more sense in more use cases than TouchID.

Back to your original post, I suspect you wanted to hate the X to begin with. You had the phone for less than 24 hours and had already concluded it would be returned. You didn't even give yourself a chance to adapt to a dramatically different UX.

22. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

I am not knocking it, I have never used it. Fingerprint recognition works fine with me. I just do not think that Face ID, no bezels round the screen and animated emojis are worth an extra £250 to me. But every body to there own.

23. caesarp macrumors 6502a

TouchID is limited. There's a ton more to Face ID than you might realize. It's not just for the seamless unlock process, but also for everything else it entails -- apps that require passcodes, websites. Apple Pay. All of it, way smoother and better. My banking app now takes faceID -- way better than dealing with the passcode entry before. Websites that require username and passwords, it pulls from your system and adds it in automagically after faceID authenticates you. FaceID has way more implementation than just unlocking phone -- people don't realize that.

24. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

Could not care less about animojis. The screen is beautiful and I love not having bezels, however the switching/closing UI is atrocious. Face ID is in no way a positive feature - it was always a question of whether or not it would be able to approach touch ID in speed and convenience. I would say it does about 60-70% of the time. The other 30-40% of the time it misfires, is slow, or isn't usable at all (phone flat on the desk, in the car, etc).

Gonna prolly give it a week but at this point I'd say it's 50/50 that it'll go back in favor of an 8 or 8+.

25. graystone macrumors newbie

Not...going...to...happen. Touch ID is now a legacy technology and all future iphones will have Face ID. Any one who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. If you like your current phone with Touch ID then you better take real good care of it to make it last as long as possible, because when you go to get another one your only choice will be Face ID, unless you buy a used legacy phone with Touch ID. The above comments are kind of from left field. No way no how will Apple try to cram the parts for 2 authentication systems into a phone. There is no space unless they cut out something else, and the added expense would make an already expensive phone even more expensive.