Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Spending $250 on AirPods has nothing to do with the perceived value of this lanyard though. It's just another case of "people spend lots of money on Apple gear, let's try to ride Apple's coat tails with some preposterous pricing of our own"
Perceived value is probably the best way to describe it. I might perceive $10 worth it for a proper lanyard vs using a $1 shoelace or string from Wish. It looks good and works. Of course others might not see value in a lanyard at all.

If you perceive value based on the bill of materials then I hope you never spend more than $15 for a phone case or more than $1 for a screen protector. The markup on those items is ridiculous.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I don’t understand why people are flipping out over $10 when they just spent $250 for earbuds…

I mean you can go in AliExpress or probably Walmart and get earbuds for $30 or less if cost is a concern.
Because $30 earbuds don't sound like $250 earbuds but a piece of string is a piece of string.
Not really rocket science is it?

error

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006
I bought this one for my AirPods Pro 2 because I was just too lazy to search for cheaper alternatives elsewhere.

I won’t use it to attach the case to bag, I only use it to fish/grab the case out of my bag or coat pocket… and it works perfectly for this purpose. Same reason why I’ve attached a lanyard to my tiny SanDisk usb-drive.

By the way: the AirPods Pro 2 case won’t open after a slight or even strong bump. The magnets are too strong for this to happen.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Marcian

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020

Apple's second-generation AirPods Pro Charging Case is equipped with a set of little metal holes at the right side, with the holes designed to accommodate a lanyard. Apple does not provide a lanyard with the AirPods Pro, and is in fact selling just one on its website and in retail stores.

incase-lanyard-detatched.jpg

The Incase Lanyard is priced at $12.95, and it was designed with the AirPods Pro in mind, launching on the same day as the new earbuds. The lanyard features a thin gray strap that slides into the holes of the AirPods Pro and then loops to hold on securely.

incase-lanyard-airpods-loop.jpg

It is a standardized lanyard design that is used for all kinds of accessories, and you're probably familiar with it if you've worn a badge or had a smartphone case with a lanyard loop available. The loop that attaches to the AirPods Pro is in turn attached to a lighter gray plastic clip, and at the end of the plastic clip, there is a longer, thicker gray braided loop that can be wrapped around the wrist or looped over a backpack or bag strap.

incase-lanyard-in-hand.jpg

I like to attach my AirPods Pro to an inside zipper inside my backpack, leaving it accessible while also hiding it from view. The aforementioned clip can be used for attaching the Incase Lanyard to objects as you can loop it over and then tuck the strap into the clip's edge. The clip is tight, so it does feel secure. I have also used the wrist strap for carrying the AirPods Pro when I don't have a bag with me, and I feel that it's comfortable and secure. I appreciate the braided design, but the all gray design is boring. I wish Apple and Incase offered the Incase Lanyard in a better range of colors.

incase-lanyard-backpack.jpg

If you're using the Incase Lanyard to attach the AirPods Pro to keys, your wrist, or the outside of a bag, it is worth noting that there is no mechanism that secures the case of the AirPods Pro itself. Should the AirPods Pro 2 lid happen to pop open, your AirPods could fall out.

Incase says that the lanyard measures in at 9.25 inches long, and that felt like a good length for use as a wrist strap, if a little long. I did put effort into pulling on both sides of the plastic clip, and the lanyard feels well made and durable.

incase-lanyard-close-up.jpg

All in all, the Incase Lanyard is fine, and I have no complaints about it. It serves its purpose, and seems like it will hold up for quite some time. I do want to point out that at $13, it's not going to break the bank, but it is comparatively expensive. On Amazon.com, you can buy multi-packs of lanyards for half as much since you can use any lanyard with the skinny loop design.

How to Buy

The Incase Lanyard can be purchased from the online Apple Store for $12.95.

Article Link: Review: Incase's Lanyard Pairs Well With AirPods Pro 2, But is Comparatively Expensive
Just ordered from Aliexpress for $2.99. Yes, exactly Incase original lanyard.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Because $30 earbuds don't sound like $250 earbuds but a piece of string is a piece of string.
Not really rocket science is it?
No, a piece of string isn’t a piece of string or a lanyard. Just because it does the same function does it mean it does it as well or looks good

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
An expensive lanyard! Hopefully the string and strap are made out of carbon fiber or kevlar.... 🙄

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I don't use the lanyard loop for my Airpods. If I did, I have several wrist straps from older P&S cameras I had that I'd use before I buy this thing.

xterratop

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I can see it now.....you attach this to your backpack, and before you know it, someone with a knife or scizzors would just clip the string and walk away with your new Airpod Pro 2 device.

Apple_Jacks

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2022
Not really…the loop serve as antenna as well
That hasn't been cofirmed anywhere beyond speculation from the scans. Most responses I've seen from people have noted it looks like a grounding point for the speaker, not an antenna.

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
If you mean an electrical grounding point I can't imagine why it would be exposed. Sometimes a loop is just a loop. ;)
in the world of electronics…yes grounding points are sometime exposed and connected to conductive material the like of metal cases.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
in the world of electronics…yes grounding points are sometime exposed and connected to conductive material the like of metal cases.
Yes. I worked in "the world of electronics". But in this case I don't get the point of exposing the ground of a speaker to the outside. Speakers are usually closed loop. Exposing the ground could expose the circuit to extraneous noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.