Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
:mad:
Hello,

I just set my CapsuleNeo on my new iPhone 3G and I must say I am very angry.
The product itself is really good when it comes to protecting the back and sides of the phone. But when I used the protective film on my brand new spotless screen I saw two bubble shapes before I finished adjusting it. So of course I lifted the film again to reajust. I was surprised to see that the bubbles were actually stains of some sort on the very surface of the screen. I was very concerned so I completely removed the film and tried to deal with the stains to no avail. Finally I decided to use the second film available in order to protect the screen anyway but it looks awful. My previous iPhone had InvisibleShield and it was awesome. Truly invisible and harmless.
I am planning to purchase another set of InvisibleShield just for the screen but will I be able to make these spots disapear? I mean what kind of adhesive matter do they use on their films? Acid?:(

Odd, I haven't heard of that "bubble/stain" that you're referring to here in the forums.
Have you emailed Switcheasy about the said problem on screen protectors?

In addition to that, can you post pics? If you can. Just curious how those look.

gospel9

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
I used to own both a black and white Neo as some of you might know, but as of now (and a month ago) I have broke off the bottom I frame of the black piece, and the white I frame has gone to beyond ugliness after 1 week of normal use. So long story short, both my Neos have become unusable.

Since then I have replaced them with an Incase Slider... Long ago I bought my gf the white Incase Slider and I had always been fond of it. Having used it myself (I bought the gunmetal color) for the past month or so I have come to realize the quality of this thing compared with the SwitchEasy stuff (I also have both colors of the Rebel, the black has the saggy bottom...).

With all that money I have spent I really could have bought a Vaja. That's probably what I'll do the next time.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
With all that money I have spent I really could have bought a Vaja. That's probably what I'll do the next time.

IMO the Vaja is a beautiful case with a ridiculous design. One corner is exposed, so 75% of the iPhone is protected and 25% exposed to damage.

Doesn't make sense.

bloody

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
does anyone have any good methods as to removing the stains on the neotouch? I live in Canada, so switcheasy can't send me a replacement :(. These stains are getting pretty irritating.

Amon37

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
AZ
Mine is chipped at the bottom right and cracked at the top left, chips are the same size same as yours.

Update: It's now chipped on 3 of the 4 corners.

E-mail has been sent to switcheasy. I already had to deal with them because one of my cases was missing a screen protector and had a bad membrane so they sent me a replacement.

My wife already used that I-frame because her first one wiggled and now mine is chipped. I researched cases for a while and seemed this one was the best now I know there is no "best" case.

c4sp14nx

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
I also have the black Neo and ALL FOUR corners have chipped on my "I" frame. The top right went first, and the others quickly followed. The chips are all an identical size and shape, so I'd have to imagine it's either a design flaw or a manufacturing defect. I am hugely disappointed.

I also have an update...my "I" frame has now split all the way through near the bottom left speaker (at the thinnest part of the piece). I wish I could say I had dropped the phone or caused some other sort of trauma which could explain this, but the phone only ever goes into and out of my pocket. I also STILL have not heard back from SwitchEasy...I know it's the holidays and all, but c'mon! Two weeks and counting...

I really like this case and just wish I could get a new "I" frame...without having to buy a whole new case.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Update: It's now chipped on 3 of the 4 corners.

E-mail has been sent to switcheasy. I already had to deal with them because one of my cases was missing a screen protector and had a bad membrane so they sent me a replacement.

My wife already used that I-frame because her first one wiggled and now mine is chipped. I researched cases for a while and seemed this one was the best now I know there is no "best" case.

I also have an update...my "I" frame has now split all the way through near the bottom left speaker (at the thinnest part of the piece). I wish I could say I had dropped the phone or caused some other sort of trauma which could explain this, but the phone only ever goes into and out of my pocket. I also STILL have not heard back from SwitchEasy...I know it's the holidays and all, but c'mon! Two weeks and counting...

I really like this case and just wish I could get a new "I" frame...without having to buy a whole new case.

And I thought the white I-frames only had a problem-discoloration, apparently now chipping on the black I-frames too.. Hopefully they've addressed that.

Amon37

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
AZ
I have another case on the way so I have my fingers crossed that this I-frame will actually not chip.

My wife's hasn't chipped yet so here's hoping.

I just wish that instead of shipping out replacement cases like candy, Switcheasy would actually do something about the issue. I send an e-mail to them and get a tracking number in return, no "we're sorry", no "There was a manufacturing issue and now it's been resolved."

Their customer service is good yet horrible at the same time.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
has anyone found a way to clean the stains or prevent them on the white case? I'm thinking I might put a clear coat or two of spray paint on the plastic "I" frame to prevent staining or maybe put some clear nail polish on it? Seems maybe the clear nail polish will be a little more durable?... my mom suggested it haha :D

djarum69

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
My Neo lasted a month before breaking. Before that the Case-mate leather case held up fine, but allowed the phone to be too damaged, and the phone would not stay in it's holster.

I now have the Innocase II Surface with spring holster, and it's worked flawlessly for about 2 months. It's much more compact than either of the previous cases, and the holster can be used horizontally, and never drops the phone. The Neo was an experience, but I'm glad it's over.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
has anyone found a way to clean the stains or prevent them on the white case? I'm thinking I might put a clear coat or two of spray paint on the plastic "I" frame to prevent staining or maybe put some clear nail polish on it? Seems maybe the clear nail polish will be a little more durable?... my mom suggested it haha :D

I'm actually thinking of that, somehow they really ship new white capsuleneos in a very dirty white/creamy look, not as white as the silicon membrane which sometimes bugs me. So far my white I frame hasn't been that badly stained as the first one that I've got, they added some sort of matte feeling(?)

raghav.chowdhry

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Has anyone tried painting I-frame...i really like this case...i am thinking to order black n white neo for my phone...and later on paint white i-frame into red...soo that i can make black n red combo case

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Has anyone tried painting I-frame...i really like this case...i am thinking to order black n white neo for my phone...and later on paint white i-frame into red...soo that i can make black n red combo case

It sounds like you saw the Capsule Rebel Devil. Someone needs to come up on how to protect the white color for the Neo, will paint suffice?

AGIPSY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
I'm looking into buying a white neo, but i have a black iphone. I wonder if the case would look less white because the black color of the phone would show through the silicone thing. does anyone have pics of this?

LilMissFOB

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
This is the case I'm seriously contemplating. I wish it came in other colors, but for the protection it offers, I suppose I can overlook the lack of color/personalization choices.

I wonder though, with the docking adaptor, is docking on an iHome relatively easy without having to remove the case? Anyone?

Thanks! :D

LilMissFOB

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
Sorry to double post, but ... I just ordered the Capsule Neo. As I said, I wish SwitchEasy offered additional colors, and maybe someday they will, but for now I ordered the black Neo for my black 3G and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. Will post my review of it once I have it in hand, on my phone :cool:

Wanted to thank everyone for their input on this one. Your input really helped to make my search easier :D

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
I've got a Capsule Rebel in black/yellow for sale if anyone wants it on the cheap. Installed it and used it for a week, then switched to the Otter case.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I'm looking into buying a white neo, but i have a black iphone. I wonder if the case would look less white because the black color of the phone would show through the silicone thing. does anyone have pics of this?

I've purchased the white neo for my white iPhone, but I just want to warn you, some of their white neos are really prone to stains. I got mine replaced with a creamy-coloured I-frame and so far no complaints. With regards to the black against white, I think it might "bleed" black a little bit, cause on my white iPhone I could see the Apple Logo since it's really thin.

AGIPSY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
I've purchased the white neo for my white iPhone, but I just want to warn you, some of their white neos are really prone to stains. I got mine replaced with a creamy-coloured I-frame and so far no complaints. With regards to the black against white, I think it might "bleed" black a little bit, cause on my white iPhone I could see the Apple Logo since it's really thin.

ok, sounds like it's better to go with black. thanks for your response!

az0madman

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
As much as I loved the design of the Neo, the botton of the "I" frame broke. Seems I wasn't the only one. The chips started to happen too as reported by other people. I bought it last summer and surprised to see it fall apart. Very sad since I really loved the case until now. I could switch back to Rebel but that thing is fugly with the skeleton, in my opinion. So I'm back on the hunt...

c4sp14nx

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
As much as I loved the design of the Neo, the botton of the "I" frame broke...

The bottom of mine also broke completely off approx. 10 days ago. I never updated my posts here with that info (no need to beat a dead horse), but I decided to mention it after seeing the above post in hopes multiple reports of the same issue might encourage SwitchEasy to look into the problems.

I absolutely LOVED the design of the Neo, but SwitchEasy never did return my emails and I wasn't going to buy a whole new case just to replace the "I" frame. I now have a DLO HybridShell, which isn't as classy as the Neo but still looks and works pretty nice.

LilMissFOB

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
My Capsule Neo arrived a few days ago, and after struggling to get the protective screen on just right (which by the way was the most difficult part of installation for me) it fits great. No saggy bottom here, and no difficulty getting the plastic to slip over the silicone liner. It's snug, and it's a perfect fit. I like this case so much better than the iFrogz case I had, because it looks like it was made for the phone, it's thin, and it doesn't change the lines of the phone itself. Very classy looking. Doesn't really look like a "case" if that makes sense, but it really protects it, everywhere, plugs, prongs, jacks, body, you name it, it's protected. I love it so far.

I have read about the chips, etc. but I keep my phone in a velvet bag in my purse, and I don't throw it around, so I don't forsee this happening to my case. I think it's all on how you treat the case, as to how it will hold up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.