Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in November when Apple's MagSafe-compatible Leather Wallet first launched, MacRumors videographer Dan took a look at the accessory and ended up disliking it because of the weak magnetic connection.

Dan kept using the Leather Wallet despite its flaws, and after three months with the accessory, his opinion has changed and he wanted to share some new thoughts on it.

Rather than keeping the Leather Wallet attached to the iPhone at all times, Dan now uses it on a standalone basis, keeping it tucked in a pocket and attaching it to the iPhone only when necessary, which has worked out better for him.

Make sure to check out the video up above to watch Dan's full revised take on the Leather Wallet, and if you've been using the accessory, let us know in the comments below how you like it now that it's been available for a few months.

Article Link: Revisiting Apple's MagSafe Leather Wallet After 3 Months of Usage

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44

Glennmichael

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2015
One of my favourite iPhone accessories. Unlike all those initial reviews, the wallet never falls off. The leather quality is great.. mine still looks in great condition.

I already needed to switch from a bulky wallet to a slim wallet, and this was a perfect option for me. I definitely don’t need to carry more than an ID card, back up credit card and store card.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Everyone is entitled to spend their money however they like, but I do not see the appeal of spending $60 for a magnetic wallet that barely holds 3 cards. To me, that's a tremendous waste of money.
I just bought one a couple of days ago and it should arrive this week...with each new wallet I buy, I minimize more and more what I carry with me. This will probably be the ultimate test - if it only holds 3 cards I'm going to have to make some serious sacrifices. But I like making sacrifices, simplifying things more and more.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
I just bought one a couple of days ago and it should arrive this week...with each new wallet I buy, I minimize more and more what I carry with me. This will probably be the ultimate test - if it only holds 3 cards I'm going to have to make some serious sacrifices. But I like making sacrifices, simplifying things more and more.
I keep all of my cards in the Apple Wallet so if I am out and can use Apple Pay I do. Also I do keep a couple of physical cards in my billfold so if I can’t use Apple Pay I still can make a purchase. Seems to work out well for me doing it that way. No fat billfold to sit on at work plus still have access to nearly every card I have.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Elaborate lol
Well it kind of sounds like a hostage video. He didn't like the wallet because it doesn't seem to do what it claimed to do. But he stayed with it for an additional three months and has learned to empathize with it despite it not fitting the number of cards he'd like and it not doing what it was advertised to do. He has found qualities about it he likes.

This was the case some say with hostages at a bank in Stockholm, Sweden who came to sympathize with their captors and refused to testify against them, which is where the term came from. It's actually a bit of a controversy because some say the hostages just didn't like the way they were treated by the police. Their captors disliked how obliging the hostages were because they said they were so agreeable it was impossible to kill them.

Anyhow, I meant it more as a joke regardless of the accuracy of the term.

BrodieQ

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I’ve had one since they were initially released and I gotta say, as a fan of minimalist wallets, they’re not as bad as some reviews have made them out to be, but they’re far from perfect.

I’ve *never* had an issue with the magnets not being strong enough, and it seems like the longer the wallet is in place, the stronger the hold is. Nor have a ever had a problem with it sliding off when putting it into or taking it out of a pocket, but I realize some pants have tighter pockets than mine, so YMMV.

That said, I do wish it held one more card, as three is juuuuust a little too constricting for my likes. I carry my ID, my Kroger debit card (you can use their app at checkout, but not at their gas pumps yet), and my debit card attached to the bank account I share with my wife for when I go somewhere that doesn’t have Apple Pay. I have one other debit card for my personal bank account that I’d like to carry for when Apple Pay isn’t accepted which I’m currently forced to leave out of the mix, but it’s not a deal breaker. It adds unwanted bulk to the phone already, so I can see why they didn’t make it hold more, but it’s still a compromise I have to deal with.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
This just might be the least effective pitch video for an Apple product I've seen. It dispels none of the worries I've had about this product and the suggested way of using it makes me question why you'd need to attach this thing to a phone at all. Just so that you don't forget your wallet if you put it on a table at a restaurant? Seriously? Rumors are they are going to make the magnets stronger in the next magsafe version. I'll wait for that.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I’ve been using it for months it’s always on my phone wherever I go out. Magnets are strong enough not sure why people are bitching. It never falls out of the phone when I put my phone into front/back jeans pocket. No, it’s not a full replacement for your regular wallet, I only put two cards - driver license and credit card. I have lots of cards in my Apple Pay. Why would you need to carry 10 cards?

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I already needed to switch from a bulky wallet to a slim wallet, and this was a perfect option for me. I definitely don’t need to carry more than an ID card, back up credit card and store card.
It’s actually the ID card that keeps me using a standard wallet. I rotate between three credit cards and apple pay, but need my ID. Only a handful of states accept a digital drivers license. This needs to change.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
To answer the question in the video: no, you’re not crazy for thinking it has to be attached to your phone at all times. You’re crazy for thinking its for holding your phone and wallet together on a table. In front of you.

What happens when you finish your meal, pick up your phone and leave the table? YOU PUT THE PHONE IN YOUR POCKET! You know, that exact action which you found causes the wallet to come off and fall to the ground. So now you’re still leaving your wallet in the restaurant, but instead of it being easily spotted on the table, it’s fallen to the floor unnoticed and been kicked under the chair. Great.

I don’t know how you can argue with a straight face that an attachment mechanism which fails to attach securely is anything other than terrible.

Wait a minute, this was click-bait wasn’t it? And I’ve fallen for it :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.