Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
So, I may not need that if I am just adding another lightweight SSD drive in there? I can simply "velcro" the drive in place if necessary.

Perhaps the only difference in the "Mechanism" is the tension of a spring or something to maintain the balance point with a hard disk in there.

-howard

As far as I can tell. the lighter SSD mounted in there shouldnt cause any problems.

starscript

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Does this tape have foam in the middle of it? I have read that whithout this foam the tape can be very hard to remove and obviously would not get throught a warantee call.

yes it is but it's the "easy to remove" variant, i did test it very easy to remove if you slip a card underneath and twist it then it just roles of with very little effort, worst case the box said the glue will only hold up to 50c so quick blast of the hair dryer and it will fall off

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
768 upgrade

I wish the 768 blade upgrade was more reasonably price around $1000 mark as opposed to $1300. I would probably spring for it then, rather then thinking about doing some manual upgrading.

Last edited:

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
i just sealed mine up with scotch (3m tape) 20lbs double sided take. there is a gab but its fine for now till I can order the real tape apple uses. tape can be bought at Home Depot $6

its 1inch wide so I had to trim it.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I wish the 768 blade upgrade was more reasonably price around $1000 mark as opposed to $1300. I would probably spring for it then, rather then thinking about doing some manual upgrading.

have you thought about ordering it through the education site, I think it goes for $1170

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
I am curious what the prices will be for the new OWC Mercury Viper and if the 3,5" SSD will be compatible with the new 27" iMac. Up to 600MB/s speed and capacity from 240GB to 2TB. Pricing and shipping dates to be announced late Q1 according to the viper page.

Last edited:

starscript

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
I am curious what the prices will be for the new OWC Mercury Viper and if the 3,5" SSD will be compatible with the new 27" iMac. Up to 600MB/s speed and capacity from 240GB to 2TB. Pricing and shipping dates to be announced late Q1 according to the viper page.

assuming it's using SATA3 yes it will be. but i would probably hold out for the next gen Samsung SSD's if any thing they will problay be cheaper than OWC with similar performance

Daniiltje

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the photo's guys! Really helped me a lot!

----------

A couple of days ago I managed to split the fusion drive and unmount the 1TB HDD permanently. No more HDD spin up after sleeping. Very happy.

Just completed first installation of the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB.

Below a picture and screenshot of the benchmarks. (yes, little "Dexter" of 4 months was very interested)

128GB blade SSD is used for OSX, Apps and Virtualbox Windows7.
256GB Samsung Pro is used for iTunes, Aperture (iPhoto) library etc.

Still not sure about the definitive upgrade though. Blade SSD 128GB for the OS is fine, 60GB free space left and fast enough for me.

Thinking of just fitting a 512GB Samsung 840Pro and save me the hassle of replacing the blade SSD for now.

I'll sleep on it a bit....

Thanks to all for giving me the confidence to give it a try. :D

Grtz,
Robert
Tilburg (NL)

Just a questions guys...
I've ordered an iMac 27" with the 1TB HDD and I want to replace it with the Samsung 840. Do I need any extra mounts or cables to put the SSD in my iMac? If so, which ones?

jlmcclellan

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I like reading their tear-downs. It's also a bit easier to find everything in one place, rather than poring through pages and pages of forum posts.

starscript

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
I like reading their tear-downs. It's also a bit easier to find everything in one place, rather than poring through pages and pages of forum posts.

There is very little difference between taking the 21 inch and the 27 inch
the only noticeable difference is how the Hard Disk Drive is mounted,
ass seen in the picture you have to remove the two screws holding in the speakers, push the speaker aside then you expose the bracket for the HDD

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 256

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
AppleComponents.com is the place for original VHB replacement kits:

Starter Kit, LCD Display Panel, 076-1416, iMac (21.5-inch, late 2012) and iMac (27-inch, late 2012) $139.00

076-1416 Kit, Start, LCD Display Panel
- Display removal tool handle (1)
- Display removal wheels (8)
- VHB strips (for both models)
- Service wedge, iMac

Display Refill Kit, Very Hign Bond, VHB, 5-piece set, 20-pack, 076-1422, iMac (21.5-inch) $109.00

076-1422 Kit, Display Refill
- Display Removal Tool (1)
- VHB Strips (20-pack)
- Display removal wheels (20)

Last edited:

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Nice one iMartijn.

It looks to me as though there is a 27" "refill kit" not yet available. I don't think the dual model starter kit includes the same supply of tape.

Good news though. If the 27" refill kit is missing then I'm sure it'll also be available soon. A group order would work out pretty cheap per-person.

Last edited:

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
The refill kit 076-1419 can be requested @ applecomponents.com.

I believe that the starters kit holds at least one complete 5 strips set for the 21" and a 6 strips set for the 27" and it's the only kit that holds the wedge (if needed).

When comparing the amount of wheels in the refill set, the starter kit could hold 4 strip sets for each model [8 wheels = 2 models 27" and 21" x 4 sets of 6 strips and 5 strips].

Best to contact applecomponents.

Last edited:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
AppleComponents.com is the place for original VHB replacement kits:

Starter Kit, LCD Display Panel, 076-1416, iMac (21.5-inch, late 2012) and iMac (27-inch, late 2012) $139.00

076-1416 Kit, Start, LCD Display Panel
- Display removal tool handle (1)
- Display removal wheels (8)
- VHB strips (for both models)
- Service wedge, iMac

Display Refill Kit, Very Hign Bond, VHB, 5-piece set, 20-pack, 076-1422, iMac (21.5-inch) $109.00

076-1422 Kit, Display Refill
- Display Removal Tool (1)
- VHB Strips (20-pack)
- Display removal wheels (20)

Nice find. Is the 20-pack really 20 sets? or is it a 20 pieces and you have to use 6 pieces each time? I don't need 20 sets, but might be tempted to purchase and keep 4 sets, and then resell 4 other sets to break even or maybe even make a few bucks. If it is just 20 pieces, then not really interested.

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
Nice find. Is the 20-pack really 20 sets? or is it a 20 pieces and you have to use 6 pieces each time? I don't need 20 sets, but might be tempted to purchase and keep 4 sets, and then resell 4 other sets to break even or maybe even make a few bucks. If it is just 20 pieces, then not really interested.

Considering the price and number of strips and wheels in a set, I do believe that the 20-pack is 20 sets. The same should apply for the 27" refill set, which is also a 20-pack. If the 27" needs 6 strips it is impossible to have just 20/6= 3,33 sets. There are 20 wheels in each refill set. I believe Apple suggests to use a new wheel each time the iMac is opened up.

Best to contact applecomponents to make sure.

Last edited:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Considering the price and number of strips and wheels in a set, I do believe that the 20-pack is 20 sets. The same should apply for the 27" refill set, which is also a 20-pack. If the 27" needs 6 strips it is impossible to have just 20/6= 3,33 sets. There are 20 wheels in each refill set. I believe Apple suggests to use a new wheel each time to open up the iMac.

Best to contact applecomponents to make sure.

That is what I'm assuming, but you never know. Hotdogs are sold in 8 packs and hotdog rolls in 6 packs! :D

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Thanks to all of the brave ones who went before. I put an M4 in my current 2009 iMac and it was not terrible tough so this looks doable to me as long as the appropriate adhesive can be sourced.

Anyone thinking of buying the kit above and then parting it out to others? This might be something I would be willing to do.

Is the 840 pro the best SSD currently available? I had an early death on my M4 and replacing it was a pain.

Will I need to clone somehow the factory hard drive to the ssd before installation or are you guys just using recovery to get the OS and factory apps back?

mattiasdk

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
Is the 840 pro the best SSD currently available? I had an early death on my M4 and replacing it was a pain.

Will I need to clone somehow the factory hard drive to the ssd before installation or are you guys just using recovery to get the OS and factory apps back?

I did a fair bit of reading before I decided to go for the 840 Pro, and the top 3 position is fairly close with OCZ Vertex 4 and the Kingston HyperX from what I read in the several reviews around. The Crucial m4 didn't come out too well in most tests...
The prior succes with Samsungs 830-series, made my choice even easier and so far I have nothing to report but good things :D

Some people clone the original drive, I did the recovery-version and it worked like a charm - I was just unaware of this hidden recovery feature on the stock drives, so when I wasn't able to boot from an normal ML install on a USB, with the new SSD inside, I got a little worried. But everything worked out perfectly in the end!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.