Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
And we have a winnner!!!

Jesus, that's almost (more than?) a cycle per day, considering the machine hasn't even been out for a full year yet.

It would be pretty hard to put more cycles than that on it, unless you were intentionally charging and discharging the battery all day, every day.

I have 1.5 load cycles per day on average :D Don't get it how people here have less then a hundred after a year... hey must never use their computer or just have it on the desk, plugged in, all the time.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
And we have a winnner!!!

Jesus, that's almost (more than?) a cycle per day, considering the machine hasn't even been out for a full year yet.

It would be pretty hard to put more cycles than that on it, unless you were intentionally charging and discharging the battery all day, every day.

Leman has more than me, he reported 377 cycles at 9 months. But to answer, I do use up more than a cycle a day. I take the laptop to work everyday without bringing my charger (less stuff to carry in the backpack on the bike), and by the time I get home it needs a charge. But since I don't have a TV, I just use my laptop to watch movies every once in a while on the couch, which usually happens unplugged too as I don't desire cables all across the living room. So yeah, I'd guess I'm getting 1.5-2 cycles each day I use the laptop. But that's why I bought a portable, so I can move it around without the cumbersome wires, those are for charging it up at night, like I charge my iphone and ipad. I can't wait for technology to get to the point where I can run the laptop all day without the recharge. I guess the magic number would be 10-11 hours of battery life for me.

hammo123

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
hello everyone i'm new to the forum but not to Macs...;)
Looks like i have had pretty good useage from my old MBP's battery:p

2u715hd.jpg
[/IMG]

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I don't think life cycles matter as much as you think.

My previous White MB's battery died after 2.5 years of use and it's plugged to wall socket 90% of the time.

I believe it all matters of its age.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Had since July 2012. Usually plugged in, but used every day.

Health Information:
Cycle Count: 32
Condition: Normal

adam83

Jan 7, 2012
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 699
Condition: Normal

purchase date july 2012*

Last edited:

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
13" non retina mbp purchased december 2011.
310 cycles 86% health but fluctuates to 94% at times and back.

Kuray

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
MacBook Pro 15" (Retina, Mid 2012)
Current Capacity: 8127 mAh
Design Capacity: 8460 mAh
Health: %96

Age of your Mac: 10 months
Battery Loadcycles: 171

Bought in: August 11, 2012
AppleCare included :)

Is it Ok for 171 cycles in 10 months.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Leman has more than me, he reported 377 cycles at 9 months. But to answer, I do use up more than a cycle a day. I take the laptop to work everyday without bringing my charger (less stuff to carry in the backpack on the bike), and by the time I get home it needs a charge. But since I don't have a TV, I just use my laptop to watch movies every once in a while on the couch, which usually happens unplugged too as I don't desire cables all across the living room. So yeah, I'd guess I'm getting 1.5-2 cycles each day I use the laptop. But that's why I bought a portable, so I can move it around without the cumbersome wires, those are for charging it up at night, like I charge my iphone and ipad. I can't wait for technology to get to the point where I can run the laptop all day without the recharge. I guess the magic number would be 10-11 hours of battery life for me.

That magical number has been reached with the new Air, hope they do at least 10 hrs on the next gen rMBP !

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I have on mine 80 cycles (built on September, had 63 when I purchased it used a few months ago) and it has over 98% of health.

Unn4

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
13 rMBP 2 months old, 99 cycles. Heavy usage everyday (downloads, watching HD youtube, 1080p bluray etc.).
I do not like leaving it on charger as before I had impression (on old portable) that battery dies with AC powered on every time...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
13 rMBP 2 months old, 99 cycles. Heavy usage everyday (downloads, watching HD youtube, 1080p bluray etc.).
I do not like leaving it on charger as before I had impression (on old portable) that battery dies with AC powered on every time...
There is no need to run on battery that much, unless you don't have AC power available. Your battery will not die if you run on AC power. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.