Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BygSii

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
I don't see why Apple can't just include screen options into their software settings to allow us to adjust our color settings from "Natural" to "Vivid". Newer Windows 8 Phones already do this...

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
If it takes you 2 minutes to read a page of text, you have bigger problems. I'd look into Hooked on Phonics.

Yes, sometimes I need to reference results while I'm working on my Doctorate Degree, you cheeky git.

----------

That was your first post in the thread. Not sure of your reasons for returning a perfectly good device aside from the BS image retention "test".

Even apple acknowledge image retention is a real problem. Why did you post in this thread? :confused:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The link works fine for me.

If you google "Apple Support Image Persistence" it'll be the first result.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=apple+support+image+persistence

This is what I get on your first link.

And on the other, that's just a description of a characteristic of LCD technology in general. I'm not sure how you get from that to "Apple acknowledging image retention is a real problem". :confused: I guess it's semantics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 108

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009

And on the other, that's just a description of a characteristic of LCD technology in general. I'm not sure how you get from that to "Apple acknowledging image retention is a real problem". :confused: I guess it's semantics.

I was going by the fact that on the page I was on (I'm not sure if it's the same page anymore, I'm confused to which one you're viewing), Apple tell you how to avoid image persistence.
This is the page I was referred to by apple support after my iMac's second screen replacement. They believe it's a common enough problem that they feel the need to set up a support page about it.
I'm just inferring that apple acknowledge this as problem from my experience with them. There's not apology like with antenagate or apple maps I'm afraid. :(

ip.tiff

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle

Works for me too... Hmm - looking at that image... Did you just copy and paste the abbreviated URL? Or click the link?

Although the support article isn't specifically referring to iPad screens...

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Works for me too... Hmm - looking at that image... Did you just copy and paste the abbreviated URL? Or click the link?

Oh no, it doesn't refer to iPads, but I'm guessing that this might be because not many people use their iPads as their main computers and perhaps most people don't even notice this problem on their iPads. For example, image retention when using photoshop on your Mac is much easier to spot then if you're using an iPad for occasional browsing or games.
I reckon it's quite a widespread problem in iPads to varying degrees, just only a few people notice it due to how they use their iPads (referencing or power use vs casual use etc.).

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I was going by the fact that on the page I was on (I'm not sure if it's the same page anymore, I'm confused to which one you're viewing), Apple tell you how to avoid image persistence.
This is the page I was referred to by apple support after my iMac's second screen replacement. They believe it's a common enough problem that they feel the need to set up a support page about it.
I'm just inferring that apple acknowledge this as problem from my experience with them. There's not apology like with antenagate or apple maps I'm afraid. :(

This is an inherent problem with any LCD technology. They are just trying to educate users on how to avoid it. I was confusing your statement with the image retention "test" floating around for the Mini.

There's a difference between a defective panel and a panel that retains an image after being left on the same image for an extended period of time.

I'm not expecting an apology for Gamut-gate either. :D

----------

Just clicked.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
This is an inherent problem with any LCD technology. They are just trying to educate users on how to avoid it. I was confusing your statement with the image retention "test" floating around for the Mini.

There's a difference between a defective panel and a panel that retains an image after being left on the same image for an extended period of time.

I'm not expecting an apology for Gamut-gate either. :D

I do know it's common and that every screen with exhibit to some degree, but when something can stick to the screen after 30 second it does make it difficult to use. Trying to erase marks in my photoshop canvas when all that is there is the last webpage a visited. It used to stay there for up to 20 mins with the safari bar and everything.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I do know it's common and that every screen with exhibit to some degree, but when something can stick to the screen after 30 second it does make it difficult to use. Trying to erase marks in my photoshop canvas when all that is there is the last webpage a visited. It used to stay there for up to 20 mins with the safari bar and everything.

I agree. That is a defective screen.

S

syd430

I wonder if this the type of IR that gets worse over time. If so, users have every right to complain. It might require specific test to show now, but it eventually show in everyday use if it continues to degernerate. I can understand why people want to swap it when they see it early.

MimicBunion972

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Yes I saw some IR on my Mini after running that page for 5min.
But honestly I don't care. I don't see IR in browsing web, or in playing movie, or in playing game. This is a far less problem than the yellow tint. I can live with it.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
What is a person looking for when they do this test? That the solid colour displayed is the same from edge to edge in every direction?? Or is it that the display retains an image that can still be kind of seen even though you've gone on to view something else on the display?

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
What is a person looking for when they do this test? That the solid colour displayed is the same from edge to edge in every direction?? Or is it that the display retains an image that can still be kind of seen even though you've gone on to view something else on the display?

The second one.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Always a pleasure to observe the congregation of OCD sufferers.
Just to add to the paranoia, do you realize that everyone that has posted on this thread has run the image retention test using different durations? So you got those that have units that may suffer from IR but because they ran the test for just 2 mins, they report that their unit does not suffer IR.
To standardize, before posting your not so scientific conclusions, you should at least agree on what the timer should be!

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The second one.

Oh okay. I was just curious cause I'm strongly considering getting my first iPad. But I'm not sure if I want to go with the Air or Mini Retina. The rMini feels really good in my hands as I don't really have big hands. But the Air screen is noticeably a bit brighter and just an amazing display to use. I would assume the Air would have the retina screen issues worked out as it's not the first gen for the bigger iPad. Also I'm unsure if I should go with 16GB or 32GB. My iPhone 4S is 16GB and I still have 3GB free. If I don't put my music on my iPad it would it would leave me another 5.5GB to use for Apps.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Always a pleasure to observe the congregation of OCD sufferers.
Just to add to the paranoia, do you realize that everyone that has posted on this thread has run the image retention test using different durations? So you got those that have units that may suffer from IR but because they ran the test for just 2 mins, they report that their unit does not suffer IR.
To standardize, before posting your not so scientific conclusions, you should at least agree on what the timer should be!

The wed site counts to 10 mins, that's what I'll be using.

----------

Oh okay. I was just curious cause I'm strongly considering getting my first iPad. But I'm not sure if I want to go with the Air or Mini Retina. The rMini feels really good in my hands as I don't really have big hands. But the Air screen is noticeably a bit brighter and just an amazing display to use. I would assume the Air would have the retina screen issues worked out as it's not the first gen for the bigger iPad. Also I'm unsure if I should go with 16GB or 32GB. My iPhone 4S is 16GB and I still have 3GB free. If I don't put my music on my iPad it would it would leave me another 5.5GB to use for Apps.

If you can't decide, I'd go for the Air. The bigger screen will come in handy and you won't ever struggle to read on it. I'm going for the mini because I want portability and find the Air a bit big with a case for my needs.

As for storage, you'll find yourself using a lot more apps on your iPad and some will be larger in size than the iPhone versions. If you only stream music from iTunes match, you might get away with a 16GB, me I'm getting a 32GB. Don't forget about 2GB is taken up by the OS.

Hope that helps.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Yes I saw some IR on my Mini after running that page for 5min.
But honestly I don't care. I don't see IR in browsing web, or in playing movie, or in playing game. This is a far less problem than the yellow tint. I can live with it.

Same boat as you.....I don't really care. I just exchanged a no-image retention rMini with a yellow tint at the bottom for a image retention rMini with a nice even white screen.

I'll take the even screen any day of the week.

I'd be shocked if I see this issue in normal use. If I do down the road, I'll just pester Apple about it.

Can't take the chance to return it for something that might not be an issue and end of with a damn yellow tinted screen again!!

-Kevin

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Same boat as you.....I don't really care. I just exchanged a no-image retention rMini with a yellow tint at the bottom for a image retention rMini with a nice even white screen.

I'll take the even screen any day of the week.

I'd be shocked if I see this issue in normal use. If I do down the road, I'll just pester Apple about it.

Can't take the chance to return it for something that might not be an issue and end of with a damn yellow tinted screen again!!

-Kevin

Lesser of two evils eh? For the sake of my sanity, I'll follow in your steps. :p

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I read about the retention problem which is why I am not buying one. I'd rather have a perfect screen on my tablet. That and I've told myself that my Air will be my sole tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.