Robin Williams Found Dead in Home

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdowns, Aug 11, 2014.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Wow - grew up watching "Mork and Mindy"...

Sad news...:(

2. Roller macrumors 68020

I just read about this on a news site and came over here. From the first time I saw Robin Williams as Mork on Happy Days, I knew he was a special talent. One of my favorite memories of him goes back to a MacWorld Expo in San Francisco years ago (Williams was apparently a Mac fan). I and a group of other people attending the show followed him around from booth to booth for awhile. At each one, he managed to improvise something hilarious about the product being exhibited. It was obvious how quickly his mind was working, as if his mouth couldn't keep up with his thoughts. I'll miss him very much.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Wow, this is sad news indeed...the man was a legend. R.I.P

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

They say there is a link between genius, creativity, and depression. Sad. :(

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

He stopped in the Apple Store I worked at once for a Genius Bar repair and spent a ton of time chatting with the employees and customers. He must have posed for over a hundred photos in the store. His "down-to-earth"-ness and personableness floored everyone.

Attached Files:

6. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

7. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

So sad. He seemed like a brave guy having the humility to go through rehab for alcoholism and seeking help for depression before, but as someone battling bipolar disorder I know that all it takes is a few hours alone and dark thoughts you can't control for something like this to happen. He was a big part of a lot of our childhoods -- watching Jumanji and Mrs. Doubtfire over and over on VHS was sure a highlight of mine.

8. satcomer, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

R.I.P. Mr. Williams. You brought serious laughter and was a normal guy. He had one serious funny bone!

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

"You'll have bad times, but it'll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren't paying attention to."

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

<stands on top of desk>

Rest in peace, oh captain my captain.

11. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

As a fellow comedian, this is truly saddening. It's both amazing and disheartening that the most brilliant minds are often the most troubled. I grew up watching and studying this man, among others, but Mr. Williams was always ahead of the game. His wit and creativity propelled him ahead of everyone else. I will always wonder how someone who made so many friends and countless smiles could feel so sad and alone. My condolences to his family and friends on this most unfortunate and monumental loss.

RIP

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A huge chunk of comedy was lost that the world will never get back. We will never see a comedic genius like Robin Williams ever again.

13. tdar macrumors 6502a

14. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Technically is a short circuit in the brain.

I suffer from anxiety and depression, I know my mind is messed up and I have lost so many opportunities in life.

But 3 years ago I started to face the issue with all I had, therapist, psychiatrist, even every spiritual and religious option.

Today I have ways to go around like in the movie Terminator 2 when he is on the floor and his brain just reconnect itself creating another route.

Well, since February I do not take any kind of pill, not even vitamins, no work outs, nothing. And I am getting every time better. I am taking another degrees in school, I have my stable job, I am saving more than half of my salary and I am going out more. I am more self aware and more present.

But I know people who are not making it.... I have an ex girlfriend who suffers from anorexia and bulimia. I can not talk to her because she is dangerous, she is hanging out with drug dealers, I had to back up.

But the thing with Robin Williams today is that those demons in your head are real. They will take over you. Poor man, he was innocent.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A sad day for us all, but I feel worst for his kids.

By coincidence, I watched one of his movies, RV, the day before yesterday. I hadn't seen it before and he was hilarious while also being sympathetic, something he could do so well.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the news this afternoon. So sad.

It was the little things he did well, too, and I like the snickers commercial that was on TV not too long ago. He made everyone laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPLR9l0CYA

18. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

I typically don't care about actors / famous people who die or whatever, mainly because they're just people & people die. When it comes to Robin Williams, I gotta admit, this one stung a bit.

19. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

A sad day for comedy. I will never forget the joy he brought to me every time that I watched him. R.I.P.

20. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

21. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Williams had a good number of friends in the entertainment community. I think fellow comedian Billy Crystal, who knew Williams closely for many years, must be stunned by this untimely passing--and I do mean untimely passing.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Both he and Whoopi Goldberg. All three of them hosted at least 5 different editions of Comic Relief, which were comedy shows from which the proceeds went to help the homeless.

BL.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just heard this sad news this morning; a very talented, and accomplished individual, his tragic death at such a relatively young age will rob the world of a genuinely gifted actor and creative artist.

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

25. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava