Robin Williams Found Dead in Home

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdowns, Aug 11, 2014.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

3. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I've always thought he was terrible - never really enjoyed any of his films. His impressions were quite lame in my opinion and he wasn't really funny.

The only time I respected his talent was in One Hour Photo. It's the only time I've seen him act rather than put on silly voices.

4. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

You need to watch "Good Will Hunting", "The Fisher King", "Dead Poets Society"and "The World According To Garp"...might change your mind.
    To me, he was a genius...RIP

5. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

"Awakenings" was my personal favorite performance of his. What a shame.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Work outs are good for you. In general, physical labor/exertion is believed to help those with depression. But this is not an argument, just an opinion.

As far as depression, I am no expert and don't suffer from it, but my impression there is a base point that we label as normal and from there it radiates outward. Those who exist on the edge, we call them sick, but are they? Or are the mental facilities that promote both creativity and genius also related to the torment of depression? For whatever the reason individuals feel discontent, what the rest of us view as illness, is this an illness or a matter of just being different? When someone experiences severe depression and decides it's time to check out who are we to say cheer up? From our perspective, it's hard to relate, but obviously the individual is experiencing life differently than we are. Are they broken, or is this who they are?

I don't know and this is not a thesis, just me thinking out loud. It is related to the notion I have presented in this forum previously about how much choice do we really have?

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

He made me cry laughing.

Now I just cry.

GOOOOOOOODNIGHT VIETNAAAAM!!

rip RW

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That was an amazing movie and one the first where I saw him as a great dramatic actor, too. That being said I still think being truly funny as an actor is more difficult like DeNiro says.

9. rei101 macrumors 6502a

We all suffer from something, some people are mellow, others like to call the attention, that doesn't mean you are manic depress or suffer from narcissistic disorder. But when you are certain age and you have been into the police a few times, or you are beating your girlfriends or you can not stay in a job for more than 3 months or you are certain age and living with your parents and no degree... when you start to show you are dysfunctional is when you may be having a mental problem OR you are the consequence of a mental issue from your parents.

Many people are nuts and we make fun of then, most of the time is part of finding ourselves when we do crazy things. But when you are close to 30 years old and still hitting the wall when every one else has moved on... there is something going on.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Apparently, Robin hanged himself.:(

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...williams-death-leaves-world-stunned/13947643/

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Such a waste.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I only started watching The Crazy Ones in the latter half of its first and only season. And when Robin Williams was on camera, his lines were so much funnier than the rest of the show, so much more off-the-wall, that it was easy to guess that those lines were not in the script, it was just Robin Williams winging it and being his usual brilliant self.

Minds like his are one in a million -- if that. Nobody else could simply pull such wonderfully silly stuff out of thin air the way he could. It was like it was effortless for him. That's why he was brilliant.

And yet for all his talent and success, he was depressed enough to kill himself. They say comedians often go into the field to help deal with their demons. Robin Williams' demons -- alcohol, drugs and depression -- obviously were very strong. And it just got to the point where he said, "You know what? **** it. I can't deal with it anymore."

Very, very sad.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I'd propose that any one in this situation whose switch flips and recognizes the situation and changes because of it has not made a choice. It's just who they are and for them it was time to change.

I can only image that those who take their lives feel an unimaginable heavy weight upon them and for them it's easier to give in, just as others in this situation would seek professional help. That is who they are. There are no intellectual choices being made here.

----------

I'd say that depression is the demon. Alcohol and drugs were weapons to defeat it, although not good ones.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Oh man, he really wanted to make sure he did the job..... very sad. :(

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

In the end, I will remember him from his shows and the laughs. Eventually, I won't remember so much how he died.

Was young enough to watch the original Mork and Mindy show back in the 80s!

YouTube: video

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I loved watching Mork & Mindy. Great show and Robin was terrific in it.

18. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

It's just so strange that someone like that is suddenly gone. I wonder if we'll be able to watch Aladdin the same. Or any of his movies, for that matter.

19. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Robin Williams was a true comedic genius. In World According To Garp and Dead Poets Society he showed how mastery of the dramatic arts as well as comedy. His wife announced today he was in the early stages of Parkinson's decease and I suppose he found the combination unbearable. My prayers go out to his children and friends. I will miss his work, but they will miss the man. RIP Robin, I hope you found what you have been looking for.

20. Huntn, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Less critically acclaimed than his other work, Jumanji is my favorite Robin Williams movie. I watch it all the time.

kirsten_dunst_jumanji.jpg

21. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Parkinson's is knowingly associated with depression and anxiety. For someone who had depression, that is load that very few can carry; regardless the strength of an individual. This just proves, IMO, that we have a long way to go as a human race until we can fully comprehend the mystery that is the human brain. Someday, we will be able to prevent these losses. Here's to hoping it is sooner, rather than later.

22. 0007776 Suspended

I can understand not wanting to live with a disease like that, so if he was just wanting to avoid having to go slowly downhill I'm not sure it really was that bad of a decision. It would be nice if assisted suicide was legal so someone who decides that they don't want to live with a terminal disease doesn't have to die alone.

23. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I don't think that it was too much of a conscious decision, IMO, but I could be wrong. You see, Parkinson's disease has been known to be linked to both anxiety and depression as I posted above. For someone who has already struggled with depression, alcoholism, and cocaine addiction, you then add increased depression and anxiety and you have yourself a perfect disaster in the brain. All of these factors directly affect the brain's ability to function properly.

In short: I'm not so convinced that this suicide, among many others, was a 100% conscious decision.

Also, Parkinson's Disease is not fatal. That's not to say it couldn't directly affect someone's reasoning abilities(which could then lead to a fatality). But, we have no way of knowing for sure how his brain was functioning at that particular moment; so, I could be wrong.

24. needfx, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach, Watchmen

-
    In Memoriam

Attached Files:

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Letterman paid a great tribute to Robin on his show last night.