Robin Williams Found Dead in Home

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdowns, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Scepticalscribe, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, well, a personal opinion, and, of course, one can post such in a forum of this kind.

However, while there is some sort of tradition of offering vague respectful courtesy to the memory of the deceased in some cultures, one that requests that we decline to speak ill of the dead - at least when the deceased has died quite recently - I find it somewhat surprising that you feel it necessary to inform us of your distaste for his comedy in a thread dedicated to discussing his untimely and quite tragic death.

There are many artists and writers and others whose work I dislike; however, I am not sure that the world needs to know my utter disdain in a thread dedicated to recognising what the person in question achieved while discussing and mourning the tragic circumstances of their unexpected death.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

That Emmy tribute to Robin Williams was perfect. I still can't believe he's gone. I don't know that a celebrity passing has hit me as hard as this, and I don't even know him personally.

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It's an interesting human characteristic that fans develop emotional relationships with their favorite stars based mostly on fictional characters/personalities they play.

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

An autopsy report (reported today) for Mr. Williams indicated Parkinson disease, plus dementia. For someone with periodic bouts of depression, this actions although drastic seems no worse than the young lady suffering from a fatal brain tumor who terminated her life. I see nothing wrong with not wanting to endure it, nor do I see it as bravery to be willing to watch all quality of life evaporate. What is to be accomplished by suffering to the bitter end?

USAToday

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    There is a form of dementia related to Parkinson's, called Lewy Body Dementia, and if that is what Robin had been told was part of his diagnosis along with the Parkinson's, I can understand why he chose to end his own life while he still had some control.

ETA: ah, yes, I've just now read the article and I see that I was correct. My father died at age 86 of pneumonia, but he was also actively suffering with Lewy Body Dementia and rapidly approaching a time when he would have needed more physical care than my mother or I were able to provide on a 24/7 basis.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

His wife this week confirmed this diagnosis. I guess it is a hard disease to discover as they didn't find it until the autopsy. She said he was living with it for a year.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I don't care who you are; that's some funny **** right there!! :D:D:cool:

BL.

9. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

So weird this got bumped, I was _just_ an hour or so ago watching some Robin Williams interview videos (they came up oddly enough while I was searching for some old[er] Genesis songs (from Duke and Abacab, early Collins, post PG ...)

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nice.

see.jpg