"Rose Gold" Doubters

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bbqthis, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

For anyone that might have thought "that's not rose gold, that's pink!", remember that gold in any variety comes in varying shades and tones. Not all yellow gold is the same yellow and an even larger discrepancy exists in the color of different compositions of rose gold. Depending on the light and the metal content, rose gold can range from a deep copper color, to a very subtle pink.

Here are some images (I tried my best to find some that weren't renders)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

All I know is I would not want a new iPhone in the color in any of those images. Might be pretty to some but being in the business world it would never be good for me in the board room.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My wife's a doctor and she's getting rose gold. I think the days of a color defining your professional image are loooooooong gone...

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Those are pieces made out of actual red or rose gold. The "rose gold" iPhone is anodized aluminum. The color won't be the same. It's not really "rose gold," it's warm pink aluminium.

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Just as long as you don't throw a neon green Otterbox on to your silver iPhone :p

6. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Well, yeah. My point was that the color of the anodization accurately mimics the color of certain types of rose gold, therefore the naming wasn't inherently inappropriate. The original post was in response the people that said that it was wrong for Apple to call the finish rose gold, as they thought "pink" was more a more accurate description.

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I laugh at the doubters and complainers. To each his own! If the color is not for you, great. Get the color that's most desirable to you. Easy.

8. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I disagree. Have you handled the aluminium "rose gold" Apple Watch? It looks nothing like actual rose gold.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No to my tastes either as it must have and always has had a black bezel.

10. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I haven't handled it, but it appears to be the same color as the iPhone. I'm talking strictly about color, not finish. Obviously anodized aluminum isn't going to bare an actual resemblance to rose gold, if only for the texture. But if you disagree, hey that's your right.

11. thatpluslife macrumors regular

thatpluslife

I bet bidoof would rock a rose gold iPhone.

12. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

That shiny bidoof no less!

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'm not a fan of rose gold, but if others like it then they should buy it.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're like the 10th person who's confusing real rose gold with artificial rose gold-colored aluminum.

Do yourself a favor and head to the Apple Store. All one has to do is compare the rose gold aluminum Apple Watch to the real rose gold on the Edition models. They're quite different.

15. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I think you misunderstand the entire premise of the thread.

16. andrewmaj macrumors regular

probably time to find a new job if people are judging you on the color of your phone

17. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

OMG! gorgeous rings.... you are sending me one of each... right!?

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The first image in your OP is a render and the last image was exposed to too much LED lighting and was probably not photographed inside a jewelry photo box (which achieves a proper background when shooting jewelry). Real rose gold is pretty subtle across the board, even next to real yellow gold. It doesn't change the fact that artificial rose gold-colored aluminum is on the pink side.

19. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Those rings are for girls.

20. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I can get a hundred more photos if you want, or show you some jewelry my wife owns, all of which shows that bona fide rose gold does exist in a more pink hue, exactly as seen in the aluminum.

21. allprologue macrumors regular

If anything I'm more worried that it won't be as pink as it looks. ;)

22. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

well DUH! have you seen my username and avatar?????????????????? or read any of my posts ever over the years!

(in reality though... while I think rose gold is great for a phone you are going to replace in a year or two... for an wedding set you'll wear for years and years... IMO it's too trendy... in five years it will look dated!)

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that many members won't get the rose gold-colored aluminum because it's too pink.

24. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

that was me! that's why I went to apple Friday night... to look at the apple watch in person.... too beige/peach for me! not pink enough!

25. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Oops, sorry. I read it as Caligula at first and thought you were a Caligula fan or something.