Rumblings From The Web

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A few different topics to shed light on, none of which have volumes of information about them just yet:

Tiger Developer Release A351 has been seeded according to Macosxrumors.com. According to the site, changes revolve around Finder SMB copies, boot, wake from sleep, applications crash, rich text printing, Mail, volume renaming, Microsoft applications, AOL installer, Adobe installers, Macromedia installers, HelpViewer, Character palette, authenticated copies, user logs path, and package creation with PackageMaker. Spotlight instability is also being address, as well as the inclusion of a new build of iCal 2.

Mac OS X 10.3.8, build 7U7, seems to be in the middle stages of development according to AppleInsider. AI claims the release is slated for sometime in February. Developers are noting the build delivers speedier application launching, with video driver and OpenGL changes.

Logic 7.0.1 was released earlier this week as a minor update. According to AppleInsider, Logic should undergo some changes in its next revision to remove latency in the application when using plug-ins. Apple declined to say when the new version of Logic would be released, but said that this Bus Latency Compensation feature is in direct response to Pro user feedback about the product.

PowerBook shortages are being reported by resellers worldwide, with Apple's own online store putting shipping dates now at 7 - 10 days out. Delays like these usually signify a product change is about to occur, and the G4 PowerBook is expected to have a minor speed bump revision according to Think Secret. G5 PowerBooks have been in the rumor news recently, but aren't expected to show for some time to come.

iLife 05 and iWork Shipping - As anticipated these two software suites have been reported by numerous readers to already be arriving, a day or two ahead of the expected January 22nd date.

NFL games for iPods will be made available by Audible.com via the iTunes Music Store. According to the Associated Press, The first recordings of football games for sale under the agreement will be this Sunday's NFL conference championships, which will be available on the Internet the following morning. Replays of the Super Bowl will also be available under the deal.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
as information grows about each portion of this, we'll section them off into singular stories. Some things just didn't seem to merit their own space, but needed to be mentioned.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
I wondered when we'd start to see iPod games proliferate. And audible is the perfect company to do it.

EDIT: Upon re-reading, I see that the NFL games are not the games I thought they were. But it's still not a bad idea if you like that sort of thing.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
G5 Powerbooks (if true) will finally make the price of 867 12" PBs go down in price. Sometimes I hate how Apple's retail value is so high!

I can only hope, New Zealand time is just around the corner!

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
wow thats a lot of news!

i like the g5 powerbook rumors and the ilife 05 shipping. i so cant wait for my copy!

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
need 10.3.8

Good to hear some info on 10.3.8 update. 10.3.7 killed (massive slow down) anything to do with a network, which I do a lot of including remote desktop for an xserve. Just hope AI is wrong that I have to wait until mid-Feb.

The powerbook shortage also sounds interesting as there haven't been any PB rumors for a while - at least nothing new. This is the first evidence that might even somewhat point to a faster model be it G5 or dual G4.

Personally, I like that way Apple is now spreading out their announcements. A few years ago, if it wasn't announced at Mac World you would have to wait 6 months for a new product to be released. Now I can at least hope for some minor things to happen between mac worlds, not to mention WWDC being added to the mix.

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
iSync

I got my iWork and iLife today, installing now. So far so good.

My big question for Tiger is when iSync will be using SyncML to enabling bluetooth syncing with a lot of new phones. Hopefully it will be soon. Anyone know?

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I doubt it'll be a G5 powerbook, probably just a speed bump. I'm going to have to go to the Apple store to play around with iWork before I buy it. Microsoft Word (and Safari) is the only program that crashes on my Mac, so it'll be nice to get rid of that crap.

Fishes,
narco.

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Is it next tuesday yet?

Yes... I am looking forward to next tuesday.

1) The aftermath of the mad rush to stores for the shuffle, mini, new softwared
2) The highly anticipated information update of the PB.

nc1000

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2003
yay, powerbooks!

i'm getting whatever powerbook fits into my price range the next time they release them. unless they release g5s, in which case i'm going to buy a (hopefully) discounted current model. love apple, but i don't really trust their first rev portables -- just say no to adaptor fires and widespread logic board problems!

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
They missed one

They missed a big one. Businessweek Online is reporting that Motorola is coming out with a whole line Razor phones and multi-colors too! What's that remind everyone of? Exactly.

Razor with iTunes

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
I'm looking forward to 10.3.8. ever since i upgraded to .7, links in my safari bookmark bar don't work on the first try, nor do the close-minimize-zoom buttoms in every app. very frustrating.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
nc1000 said:
i'm getting whatever powerbook fits into my price range the next time they release them. unless they release g5s, in which case i'm going to buy a (hopefully) discounted current model. love apple, but i don't really trust their first rev portables -- just say no to adaptor fires and widespread logic board problems!
I thought the logic board problems happened only in the iBook line. I've owned a couple Powerbooks (both Rev A's) and never really had any problems or remember hearing about any.

But still, a G5 powerbook does sound scary. I remember how hot my 12" got, I can't imagine anything hotter.

Fishes,
narco.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Object-X said:
They missed a big one. Newsweek is reporting that Motorola is coming out with a whole line Razor phones and multi-colors too! What's that remind everyone of? Exactly.

Razor with iTunes
1) the Razr is not one of the currently supported phones for iTunes Mobile
2) there's no mention of it anywhere in that article

I guess it would be a decent assumption that they'd want to incorporate iTunes into future models of the Razr, but as of yet there's nothing to support saying so. That said, if they offer a cheaper version, and it runs iTunes, I'll think about getting one.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
_bnkr612 said:
G5 Powerbooks (if true) will finally make the price of 867 12" PBs go down in price. Sometimes I hate how Apple's retail value is so high!
Um, where in the "not quite some time" regarding G5 Powerbooks, if they EVER happen (probably wont, will use Freescale chips instead) did you pick up "if true." Please dont' start this into another delusional off-based pipe dream naive false facts wishy washy inaccurate and just plain silly "G5 Powerbook" BS rumor thread.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Yes, it's been widely reported already that the new PowerBooks coming (now very likely next Tuesday) will be just a minor speed bump to 1.5 & 1.67 GHz G4s. They certainly won't be G5s.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
AN AOL INSTALLER????????????????? WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY THINKING?

bundled in tiger, an aol installer. oh crap. lookit windoze, see what aol does when you're trying to uninstall it from that.

what they should do is have an aol blocker, something that locks down your mac and renders it unusable if you try put aol on it. that'd teach the bastards.

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
logic pro updates are badly needed and the logic lists are going nuts over it. we are trying to consider the path that FCP took as the logic path is probably going to be similar. the recent update was a little help, but it's core functionality of things like adc that will be critical to audio pro's. i'm looking forward to more audio application announcements and updates with logic pro and tiger.

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
iCal 2

I'm really hoping they do some needed updates to iCal 2 and make it shine, as opposed to a tiny update and changing the version number just to use it as a "New Feature". Hopefully we'll see some new screens soon.

I've never heard of iCal 2 before... is it new in this build or did I just miss it in previous Tiger builds?

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Where is that list?

Mudbug said:
1) the Razr is not one of the currently supported phones for iTunes Mobile
2) there's no mention of it anywhere in that article

I guess it would be a decent assumption that they'd want to incorporate iTunes into future models of the Razr, but as of yet there's nothing to support saying so. That said, if they offer a cheaper version, and it runs iTunes, I'll think about getting one.
Where is there a list of iTunes Mobile compatible phones? Besides, they can't actually say it yet, but with the success they're having with the phone and all the multimedia capabilities it is touting, it is inconcievable that it wouldn't support it. Multicolored? Please..dead give away. What colors? Same annodized colors of the iPod mini is my guess. Varing price points mentioned would also fit with Job's claim of a mid-priced phone.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
russed said:
wow thats a lot of news!

i like the g5 powerbook rumors and the ilife 05 shipping. i so cant wait for my copy!
FedEx says mine will be here on Monday. I'm very excited to finally be able to edit my 16:9 stuff in iMovie!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Looking forward to getting iPhoto 5 home and seeing how it does with 8mb RAW files and the new editing features.

The only bummer is no WB tool, but for the price.... ;)