Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oscar_440

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2017
So now you’ll have to replace battery in two years instead of 4 if you use that feature…
I hope for an 4 day battery iPhone!! Meanwhile, surely I won’t charge any other idevice with it.

Reactions: Shirasaki

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Reverse wireless charging can be a useful feature sometimes even though it drains the phones battery. Use it occasionally on my Samsung Note 10

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Reverse wireless charging is such a niche category, I would highly bet against that being a feature Apple pushes. I would bet that a larger coil is more related to higher energy transfer and/or reduced heat. It could also be a preview of a charger that ends up getting implemented in the iPad or maybe even the MBA, both of which would require better energy transfer.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
It’s nice to have the option in a pinch, but if Apple really wants to be green, it should actively work to educate people on how wasteful (and therefore unenvironmentally friendly) wireless charging really is.

It’s not great.

But imagine when Apple remove the port how much waste is going to be saved in the manufacture of that part.

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Hope it doesn't break compatibility with third-party wireless chargers...Happened with the of MagSafe charging...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I still don't see any significant upgrades from the 12 to 13 (non-Pro)?
  • A15 and improved 5G modem
  • Slightly bigger battery
  • Better camera system
  • Smaller notch
  • Reverse charging
All pretty tiny upgrades, no? So the question would be whether these improvements are worth $100, assuming Apple keeps the 12 in the lineup.

Still bigger upgrades than 11 to 12

• Disagree
Reactions: Lwii2boo

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I would like to have for my AirPods because a few times Ive left the house with completely dead AirPods. I don't always leave the house with my S21 ultra but I always have my iPhone.

I use my ultra for work calls and lately I have been taking both with me everywhere. Handful in the pockets though

kelemor88

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Ohio
I upgrade and hand my current one to someone in the family. My wife got the 11pro from me last year as she was rocking a 8. This year my mom gets the 12pro and she currently on a 7.

Henry S

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think there's ever been a time where I wished I had reverse charging. That always seemed like a Samsung marketing thing that few people would actually use in the real world.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I still don't see any significant upgrades from the 12 to 13 (non-Pro)?
  • A15 and improved 5G modem
  • Slightly bigger battery
  • Better camera system
  • Smaller notch
  • Reverse charging
All pretty tiny upgrades, no? So the question would be whether these improvements are worth $100, assuming Apple keeps the 12 in the lineup.

Probably not worth it for 12 owners, big jump however for XS and 11 owners. Upgrade cycles are usually on the 2-3 year range nowadays.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
How could this possibly happen? Surely the size of the coils is limited because they have to fit inside the MagSafe magnets? There’s 0 chance they’ll be changing the MagSafe standard after one year, so how could this work?

Unless the current coils don’t fill the space within the magnets, but why would that be true?

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Will be interesting to see how they price the regular 12 when the 13 line-up is released. $699 ($100 off from release year), $599 (directly replacing the 11), or something else.

$699 will mean a lack of $599 price point (assuming the 11 drops to $499), $599 might be too competitive against the $799 iPhone 13.

Reactions: Apple$

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you think previous gen non-Pro's are increasingly eating into current gen non-Pro's sales? It feels like the main growth is coming from Pro models, %-wise.
The non pro models are very hard to justify each year thats for sure. People buying non pros aren’t upgrading every year thats for sure

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
What does anyone really NEED besides some basic shelter, food and water? Our economy has moved way past basic needs for a while now if you havent noticed.

To provide shelter, food & water to your family or to yourself you probably need a job & a bank account (to be able to rent and to get payed & be able to pay for certain services), in which case you also need a smartphone where you can be reached at (for housing and job applications) and that can at least run email, messaging (whatsapp in some countries) and your bank's app, so, at the very least a 2 year old Android or a second hand iPhone SE.

It's not like shelter, food and drinkable water come automatically even in the developed world, otherwise you wouldn't see the army of homeless & sick that plague some US cities downtowns.

Reactions: Saladin12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.