Rumor Says Apple Will Introduce New 5-Inch 'iPhone 7s' With Dual Vertical Cameras

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 26, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple may introduce a new 5-inch iPhone model that sports a unique vertical dual-camera system that sits alongside the existing 4.7- and 5.5-inch models, according to Japanese blog Mac Okatara. The 5-inch model would act as the medium size in the 2017 lineup.

[​IMG]

The report, which comes from a Taiwanese supplier, says that the new models, dubbed the iPhone 7s, would be an updated version of the iPhone 7. The new 5-inch model, however, would rearrange the iPhone 7 Plus' dual camera into a vertical alignment rather than a horizontal one.

Earlier this month, Mac Okatara reported that the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus would retain the aluminum design of the iPhone 7. However, the report said the new phones would come in an all-new red color. Multiple reports have stated that there will be three new iPhone models in 2017, including updated 4.7- and 5.5-inch models with LCD screens and a premium model with an OLED display and glass casing.

The new report corroborates an earlier Nikkei report that said a new 5-inch iPhone would arrive in 2017. However, Nikkei reports that the three iPhone models in 2017 will have new glass-backed designs. In November, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said it's likely the 2017 iPhones will switch to new glass casings to support wireless charging.

While Mac Okatara was the first to report that Apple would replace the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 and debut a new gloss black color, its track record is not perfect. In November, it reported the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus would get a new "Jet White" color that has not yet materialized.

Article Link: Rumor Says Apple Will Introduce New 5-Inch 'iPhone 7s' With Dual Vertical Cameras

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Hope there's a new 4-inch SE with a headphone jack.

3. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

I'm very confused with the rumoured lineup. I hope it isn't this messy - we will see in September.

4. Sunny1990, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Damn it's too early to believe these rumors,the more accurate ones will pop up in mid June /July when the production line will start

5. Harloh macrumors member

Harloh

Article headline 'Vertical,' photo shows horizontal...

6. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

A new model with again different features (that I'm totally not interested in)? This is getting very confusing...

Combine this with an atrocious Mac lineup, legacy software and a strong MS and I will be inclined to switch...sorry Apple...

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

What would be the point though? It would only cause space restraints for the battery, no?

8. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Quite like the sound of this. I find the 4.7 inch slightly too small and the plus too big. Somewhere between the two would be good.

9. peter08po macrumors member

No, there won't. You know, they have a lot of courage...

10. hbt15 macrumors member

So......the 7s '5 inch' will no doubt shift to the current 7+ pricing and i'll have to shell out an extra couple hundred for the 5.5 inch to stick with my current size. Apple ***** me lately. It would be nice to see the 5 inch pricing sit in between the current 4.7 and 5.5 pricing but i can't imagine for the life of me it will. Screw you apple.

11. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I really hope they just do what google did with the Pixel. The same phone in 2 sizes. I had the 6+, and wanted to switch to the regular 7 this time around, but only the 7+ got the dual camera so was "forced" to get the + again.

I'd welcome a 5" phone as long as it's not another resolution/aspect ratio they introduce to create more fragmentation.

12. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Jesus, why? This is even more fragmentation. Honestly, look at the MacBook Pro and iPad lineups, and it's clear how these guys have absolutely no idea what to do.

13. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

So next year's iPhone Lineup will be a 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhone that looks exactly like the current one, a 5 inch one that has vertical dial cameras, and another 5.5 inch with glass back, wireless charging, OLED and hologram

14. Relentless Power, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Diversifying the line up isn't necessarily fragmenting. The 4.7 iPhone is smaller for some than what they prefer, when 5.5 is to large for others. The SE is unlikely to see an update in 2017.

Apple needs to make the more premium features available for the demographic who doesn't necessarily want the larger variant. I think if the 5.0 iPhone does debut, I believe it will target the audience for the in between size.

15. Asarien macrumors 6502

Uncle Timmy's hard at work with his inconsistent nonsense again.

16. Onext1 macrumors newbie

Onext1

The whole top of future phones will be a 360 camera! You read that from me first. :)

17. wiseoak1 macrumors member

Im confused... will there be a iPhone 8 or an iPhone 7s?! Isnt it the 10th anniversary of the iPhone?

18. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

I'm highly doubting Apple will have a 4.7" iPhone and then a new model that's only .3" larger in the screen.

But if they made a new bezel-less model they could likely get physical dimensions very close to the existing 4.7-incher's overall size, so I'd be more betting that it replaces the base model.

19. KZeni macrumors newbie

KZeni

This rumor is from a supplier leak. Doesn't reflect their actual product lineup. They potentially need suppliers lined up for multiple possibilities, and this also helps reduce rumor accuracy (something Apple would like to limit early on).

This being said... I'm wondering if they don't actually bump the 4.7" up to a 5" to keep the product line simple (keeping just two iPhone screen sizes) while following the "larger screens are better" trend just before their iPhone 8 unveil (the important one; some might say) which then shows how they managed to make the screen larger while keeping the phone as a whole smaller (a demand the 5" phone owners might have). Addressing an issue that the existing iPhone design has when given a larger screen. Then again, this is only my ruminations. :)

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Why does it matter that it's the 10th anniversary? They didn't say anything for the 10th anniversary of iPod or MacBook Pro either. Screwing their whole development cycle over an arbitrary thing like "10th anniversary" that 99% of consumers don't care about anyway would be a terrible move.

21. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

I can already imagine how many "which iPhone should I get" threads that will be made if they release 3-4 new devices.

22. IG88, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

IG88 macrumors 6502

IG88

If this is true, they're doing the exact same stupid **** that sent Apple into a death spiral last time. Fragmenting the ever living **** out of your product line is a great way to confuse / alienate customers. Things like this and the never ending obsession with Mac thinness over function are going to slowly erode their market share.

I suppose there is something to be said for small, medium, large size options. I still think it will confuse people more than give them desirable choices.

23. Asarien macrumors 6502

They'll just jump straight to iPhone 10. Why not? It would fall right in line with all their other erratic behavior.

24. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Here, I was too tired to open Photoshop, but I think this is pretty realistic:

iphone7pluscamera-800x503.png

25. wigby macrumors 68000

They can't raise the 5.5 inch price simply because they feel like fitting a new model in between. I have no problem paying $100 more for 5.5 inch model but they have to offer more than current model. They could offer a 4K screen, additional AR cameras, etc. Extra storage and new colors don't justify price increases.