Rumor Suggests New Apple App for Windows Could Be Coming Soon

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple could be working towards the release of a new app for Windows 10, according to a report this week from an Italian website.

The blog Aggiornamenti Lumia suggests that an app from Apple is "coming soon" to the Microsoft Store, but stops short of providing additional details.

Apple still maintains a Windows version of the iTunes app, which has been discontinued on Mac and replaced by several standalone apps that split Apple's streaming services and content libraries into more manageable portals: Music, TV, Books, and Podcasts.

iTunes is currently the only native way to access Apple Music on Windows, and there is no Apple TV+ app. PC users wanting to stream Apple TV+ content must do so via Apple's website, so the natural assumption is that the rumored new Apple app could include a native portal for Apple TV+ and Apple Music.

Last year, a LinkedIn job listing revealed that Apple was looking to hire engineers with Universal Windows Platform (UWP) experience to work on the "next generation" of media apps for Windows.

UWP apps can run on Windows PCs, Xbox One, and HoloLens, and could conceivably give Apple additional avenues to push its streaming services.

That being said, Aggiornamenti Lumia has no track record of predicting Apple product launches, and doesn't cite any sources to back up its claim, which was reported by 9to5Mac earlier today.

Article Link: Rumor Suggests New Apple App for Windows Could Be Coming Soon

Last edited:

randomnut

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
What I would love is an imessage client for windows. During covid it has really driven home how restrictive apple services are to keeping in touch with people. It would be nice to ditch other multi-platform services.

chucker23n1

macrumors 601
Dec 7, 2014
Well, they probably want to follow Catalina's footsteps and break up iTunes for Windows into Music, TV, Podcasts.

Wonder if they'll also bother with File Explorer integration for iPhone?

Last edited:
Reactions: schneeland

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
What I would love is an imessage client for windows. During covid it has really driven home how restrictive apple services are to keeping in touch with people. It would be nice to ditch other multi-platform services.
This. I would love to use Messages (aka iMessage) universally but only around 50% of smartphones in the UK are iPhones, meaning I also have to use WhatsApp and other messaging platforms quite extensively.

Rolling out Messages for Windows and Android would seem to me to make a lot of sense, although I very much doubt it'll happen in the short term.

LV426

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2013
Does anyone know if you can screen dump Apple movies if you view them in a PC browser. On a Mac, you're out of luck whether you use a browser or the native app. It's a very annoying limitation if you happen to be interested in reviewing movies.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a Dell XPS laptop that I use as a 2nd work laptop- mostly for windows programs, I will definitely install this when Apple releases this

It will be interesting to see what this app does once it gets released...
how. A. You state you’ll definitely download the app when you have no idea what it is??

most likely this will be “Music” for Windows vs iTunes.

and if your work restricts the Windows App Store you’ll be unable to download this. And if you have a proper IT in place that follows ITIL 4 standards you’ll have no admin rights to Install it.
- - Post merged: - -

Does anyone know if you can screen dump Apple movies if you view them in a PC browser. On a Mac, you're out of luck whether you use a browser or the native app. It's a very annoying limitation if you happen to be interested in reviewing movies.
screen dump? You mean video capture what’s on the screen? Sure use QuickTime or Camtasia on OS X.

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
It must be to do with breaking up iTunes. Either that or Apple TV+

If it is to do with breaking up iTunes, I wonder if we’ll see just one app come out of this: Apple Music (with presumably the device management Finder pane built into Windows Apple Music.

Presumably, most people listen to their podcasts read books etc on their iPhones.

So for Windows, maybe Apple is content to leave media playback for the iPhone & iPad only.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Well, what I wonder the most is how long iTunes 12.6.5.3 can still be used to download apps.

Aside from that, I don’t really have much interest to install UWP Apple apps on my main PC. I can try it out on VM but that’s about it.

Reactions: JosephAW

mazz0

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Do UWP apps get an ARM version compiled by default? You'd hope Apple does its part to encourage Windows on ARM adoption with their app.

ArPe

macrumors member
May 31, 2020
Doesn’t take a genius or analyst to predict the TV, Music, Podcast app will come to Windows. But all these services should be available in a browser too, including Books. Users could be using a computer that doesn’t belong to them (work, friend, relative, school) on which they aren’t allowed to install apps.

Jack Neill

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I switch between Windows and macOS frequently, I would love it if iMessage, Music and Photos were on the both eco systems.

Exhale

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Do UWP apps get an ARM version compiled by default? You'd hope Apple does its part to encourage Windows on ARM adoption with their app.
By default it is one of your build options for the project. You just need to include the ARM binary in the submission.

Reactions: mazz0

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Never happening — not in a million years. it doesn't generate income (so no push to get as many users as possible) and it is a desirable service that reinforces hardware sales for a hardware sales company. People like to compare Apple's products and services to Google and Amazon, but it's Apple's business model that actually differentiates them. Apple's focus is hardware sales not data-mining users on free services. Opening up Messages to other platforms greatly increases the stress on their infrastructure at a loss as they recoup nothing if there is no increase in hardware sales for this desirable service.

Messages is a patch on the quilt of the iOS experience that keeps people buying Apple hardware, anything they cannot monetize (iTunes, Apple Music, AppleTV) goes to improving the experience in the products that are their main business focus — their hardware.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Never happening — not in a million years. it doesn't generate income (so no push to get as many users as possible) and it is a desirable service that reinforces hardware sales for a hardware sales company. People like to compare Apple's products and services to Google and Amazon, but it's Apple's business model that actually differentiates them. Apple's focus is hardware sales not data-mining users on free services. Opening up Messages to other platforms greatly increases the stress on their infrastructure at a loss as they recoup nothing if there is no increase in hardware sales for this desirable service.

Messages is a patch on the quilt of the iOS experience that keeps people buying Apple hardware, anything they cannot monetize (iTunes, Apple Music, AppleTV) goes to improving the experience in the products that are their main business focus — their hardware.
You’re quite probably right but it could also be a “halo” feature. Deliver a stripped down version of Messages to Android to drive iOS adoption.

Current iOS users would gain cross-platform messaging and Apple could showcase Messages to Android users.

I suspect they could leave our features like Animoji’s and some group chat features. I also suspect they do plan to make Messages available on Android in future, which is why they’re adding features to every iOS release. They probably also need to integrate video and audio calling into the app more seamlessly.

edhudley

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
Since my videos calls seem to be split between Zoom and FaceTime, I would love to see FaceTime for Windows from Apple to run on my work PC.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
You’re quite probably right but it could also be a “halo” feature. Deliver a stripped down version of Messages to Android to drive iOS adoption.
There is no such thing as a halo feature, just a halo product, which for Apple is the iPhone. Messages is not a product in and of itself, it's a feature of a halo product and if you give away features then the product loses value.

Deliver a stripped down version of Messages to Android to drive iOS adoption.

Current iOS users would gain cross-platform messaging and Apple could showcase Messages to Android users.

I suspect they could leave our features like Animoji’s and some group chat features. I also suspect they do plan to make Messages available on Android in future, which is why they’re adding features to every iOS release. They probably also need to integrate video and audio calling into the app more seamlessly.
The way Messages works — from a security perspective — would make it difficult due to how the secure keys are stored and read. Opening it up would weaken the security of Messages encryption. Again, it's a major draw for iOS, why would they open it up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.