Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I remember when Steve Jobs announced iTunes for Windows - he said at the time "It's probably the best Windows app ever written". Yeah, that statement hasn't aged particularly well. :):):)

• Haha
Reactions: MartyvH

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apple always makes really ugly windows PC graphics haha :rolleyes:
Lol macrumors
next time you need an image of a windows laptop for your article feel free to use Dell's XPS
Could be worse; I just checked /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/public.generic-pc.icns, and they're still using this beauty for networked PCs:

public.generic-pc.png

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
iTunes (12.6.5.3) is currently the only free SW on Windows from Apple that can be used to manage apps of an iOS device.
If they retire iTunes on Windows, I can see this is going to be one of the issues.
I can't understand why Apple is so hell bent on making us download the apps again and again on multiple iOS devices instead of letting us do it once and sync to multiple devices.

Reactions: katbel

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
iMessage would be really the best option, maybe. But I doubt it will happen since it's like a key feature and the reason why Apple won't port it to Android.
Wouldn't it be possible to work on both platforms, limit it such that android-to-android iMessages were not possible? In other words, if an iPhone messages an Android -- iMessage. A reply would be iMessage. And inasmuch as an iPhone knows when another number is an iPhone, the same thing would work when android messages an iPhone -- it knows the number is an iPhone and sends an iMessage.

Just not sure if leaving out android-to-android would be legal.

edhudley

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
There is no such thing as a halo feature, just a halo product, which for Apple is the iPhone. Messages is not a product in and of itself, it's a feature of a halo product and if you give away features then the product loses value.

The way Messages works — from a security perspective — would make it difficult due to how the secure keys are stored and read. Opening it up would weaken the security of Messages encryption. Again, it's a major draw for iOS, why would they open it up?
I would think a FaceTime for Business on Windows would expand of the product into the market Zoom has seemed to captured.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Okay now do Linux or Spotify still has you beat. The lack of cross platform support is Apple's biggest curse.

Reactions: kb923689

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm sure many people have been waiting to have native Windows app(s) to access things like iCloud Photos and other Apple services. Like it or not, Windows is the larger PC marketshare, and there are a lot of iOS users who are also Windows users.

Having said that, at this point in time, I'd rather Apple focusing on iCloud's web access. Rework iCloud websites so it is lean and fast, and make them first class citizen. That way, the service will be platform agnostic.

I mean look at Google. They have no problem serving Windows users as all their services are cloud based.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Okay now do Linux or Spotify still has you beat. The lack of cross platform support is Apple's biggest curse.

surely the lack of cross platform support is Apple biggest plus? That way the only way a user can get the feature is to buy an apple product and thus make apple money?

Reactions: Ion-X

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
What I would love is an imessage client for windows. During covid it has really driven home how restrictive apple services are to keeping in touch with people. It would be nice to ditch other multi-platform services.

I'd prefer iMessage in the browser. works from anywhere

you know it already exists

it's the missing icon when you log into iCloud

just flip the switch Apple

adepew

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2016
IMO I think this will be Apple Music to replace iTunes. Possibly an Apple TV app although you can still watch through a browser. Less likely is Safari or iMessage apps.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
how. A. You state you’ll definitely download the app when you have no idea what it is??

most likely this will be “Music” for Windows vs iTunes.

and if your work restricts the Windows App Store you’ll be unable to download this. And if you have a proper IT in place that follows ITIL 4 standards you’ll have no admin rights to Install it.
[automerge]1594722446[/automerge]

screen dump? You mean video capture what’s on the screen? Sure use QuickTime or Camtasia on OS X.

No, that doesn't work. Most iTunes movies are DRM protected, and Apple software goes out of its way to absolutely prevent you from taking a screen capture (single frame).

• Wow
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Adoniram

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
I'd just be happy to see a functional, stable driver for when I plug my iPhone into my Windows machine. Imagine being able to actually transfer pictures and videos without all the idiotic shenanigans!

• Love
Reactions: MartyvH

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
When ARM-based Macs come, next step might be 'Windows 10 for ARM' distro on an Apple App Store. Seems like MSFT and AAPL are the best friends these days.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
iMessage would be really the best option, maybe. But I doubt it will happen since it's like a key feature and the reason why Apple won't port it to Android.

Yeah, and that is the key reason why I can't use iMessage and no one in many countries outside the US even bothers to. In the US it is only used because SMS used to be big so it just goes out as SMS to non iPhone users. Outside there, people widely prefer Whatsapp or other platform, and the PC client is also a big differentiator. If I am on my PC and I get an iMessage notification on my watch from one of the two contacts that use it, I will just reply in Whatsapp as I cannot be bothered to interrupt my Workflow and take out the phone for it.

• Disagree

ajm057

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2016
I anticipate with trepidation this is a foretelling of the same disaster that his those of us with very large libraries (music, audiobooks, TV and Movies) and who DO NOT WANT Apple Streamed products rammed at us.

Apple is continuing its shift into a media company away from a computer and personal devices company AND we who have been Apple customers since the very beginning are the ones who are screwed.

My advice to PC users of iTunes is DO NOT upgrade to this "NEW THING" UNTIL you fully understand what and how the new "thing works" . AND make sure you have safe copies of the install files for last version of iTunes that you know works for you.

If you use iMac/MBP/Mac Mini/ etc. - all new Macs come with Catalina (or Big Sir soon) and so the 4 apps are installed. So you have to decide to either use them or work around -- For most of last year I ran iTunes on a Windows 10 virtual machine (Parallels pro 15.3 is my preference) - I needed this for for my work (so it was effectively free for me) and this worked well. However, for some reason recently (~March) iTunes syncing slowed right down and each time I connected my iphone or ipad iTunes would completely re-write the library on the device. Syncing taking days not minutes.
So I have been forced to migrate onto the 4 apps (I call them iMusic etc). I can handle iMusic and iTV; but not iPodcasts (really crappy) and not iBooks at all without very significant edits to my audiobook library.
Of all the changes that came with the split up of iTunes -- I am most irked over the relocation of audiobook titles into iBOOKs and the fact the titles are now held on my system drive deep in Library/Containers and nothing is editable in the application. NOTHING !!!!
I am going on a 5 month assignment shortly to a very desolate place with limited wifi band width and so am carrying quite a few books with me -- 430GB on my hard drive. But this is a small FRACTION of my audiobook titles. These normally live on an external drive -- but no longer with iBooks.
We no longer have access to smart playlists or genre options in the App. So to make iBooks remotely work across the 500 titles I am carrying with me -- I have been forced to convert all my titles (mainly audible) into MP3 to be able to rename and sort the titles in the iBooks app -- 2 weeks later I finally finished this. I can now scroll down through Finder or in iBooks to find the title by genre, author and book series -- this information is now in the title of each item.

Similarly -- the 2TB of other media I carry access via the iMusic and iTV apps -- HOWEVER, these can be held on external drives.

I have not yet seen any scripts to allow me to modify play counts on tracks/songs in iMusic -- this is also essential in how I like to select and play music -- I am only carrying 13,500 tracks with me this time and "used to" use played and unplayed settings to automatically select the tracks on my devices -- now this has to be done much more manually.

Sorry for the whine -- but I am exasperated by Apple's continued failure to listen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.