Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Yikes! that's rather expensive
It is, but it's as close to Photos as anything on Windows I've ever tried. You can also try Windows Photo Gallery, which has improved dramatically and it's free. Maybe wait for a Black Friday deal or something for Phototheca. I'll be buying it again when I move back to Windows next year.

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
It is, but it's as close to Photos as anything on Windows I've ever tried. You can also try Windows Photo Gallery, which has improved dramatically and it's free. Maybe wait for a Black Friday deal or something for Phototheca. I'll be buying it again when I move back to Windows next year.
Interesting. I'll look into it, thanks

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
There was a job posting a number of months ago for Windows developers for new Windows apps, which MR already reported on.

Reporting something as a rumor which you already know to be true?

Did you not read the article? It mentions that job posting.

pneen

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2020
Lol macrumors
next time you need an image of a windows laptop for your article feel free to use Dell's XPS
No idea if anyone has replied with this yet but you may want to see the iTunes for Windows page. That laptop has a similar design. That screenshot probably hasn't been updated in like two decades or something. They don't even need a laptop stuck to it. Their Microsoft Store listing has nice screenshots. I suppose Apple is going along with MS' failed Store because they have the same vision?
1596173617726.png

[automerge]1596174523[/automerge]
Wouldn't it be possible to work on both platforms, limit it such that android-to-android iMessages were not possible? In other words, if an iPhone messages an Android -- iMessage. A reply would be iMessage. And inasmuch as an iPhone knows when another number is an iPhone, the same thing would work when android messages an iPhone -- it knows the number is an iPhone and sends an iMessage.

Just not sure if leaving out android-to-android would be legal.
Your comment confuses me. Apple could do anything they wanted. They don't need to block Android to Android iMessages. They don't want to bring iMessage to Android because it's part of their ecosystem lock-in. It's why they likely won't be bringing it to Windows. If one person has an Android device and the other has an iPhone and is using iMessage, the Android user will be pressured into iOS because of the "green bubbles"/SMS. If there were iMessage for Android, this scenario wouldn't happen and it, among other things, is how Apple locks people into their ecosystem. Safari is another one that annoys me because it's a pretty good browser but you're trapped unless you have a Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: novakk86

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
For the people saying that Apple is primarily a hardware company. This may have been the case in the past, but Apple is increasingly moving towards being becoming more of a services company as growth in iPhone sales start to slow and not being too over reliant on the iPhone as it once was. If Apple is going to grow its services business then it has to start building apps for other platforms and get over the stigma of building poorly written apps for other platforms and cloud services that people openly mock at first even if down the line they turn out to be solid (i.e. Maps, iCloud (MobileMe) etc.). With Google Photos starting to charge next year while still not valuing privacy and Apple Maps catching up with Google Maps while valuing privacy, with the growth of Apple Music etc, Apple could potentially be even bigger in services and compete head to head with the likes of Google and Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.