Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Ugh! First the RAM leak, now NFC. It's all good, but I'd like to see a leak about the processor- that'd interest me a lot! Surely if this leaker has gotten his hand on internal schematics, he can leak the specs of the A8. :rolleyes:

Apple A8 is going to be a ridiculously fast CPU, the 5S isnt far off from the K1 64 bit dual cores clocked at 2.5 ghz and the A7 cores are clocked at 1.3 ghz only.

Apple A8 is gonna turn that up to 2.0 ghz with improved system bandwidth and architectural improvements, A8 SoC of the year, for sure going to beat the K1 in performance alongside with a good year since 5S release for developers to update apps to 64 bit and evergrowing by the day for ultimate performance ! :apple:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
You're missing the point. Apple will have to use whatever systems that are already in place. They can't just create a new system that no retailers have in place. So NFC is the logical way.

Are we misunderstanding each other completely?

I was suggesting that Apple could make a mobile payment system that uses NFC for protocol and touchID for security and if it becomes widely adopted by POS systems it would give consumers another reason to switch to an iPhone considering there is no widely adopted NFC POS system for Android or other smartphones.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011

I was suggesting that Apple could make a mobile payment system that uses NFC for protocol and touchID for security and if it becomes widely adopted by POS systems it would give consumers another reason to switch to an iPhone considering there is no widely adopted NFC POS system for Android or other smartphones.

My apologies. I did misunderstand you.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I suspect most people wouldn't know what "NFC" means. But, a few more might recognize "Paywave" (MasterCard) or "Paypass" (VISA) and know what it means.

However, I think the number of people that even know what the symbol on their credit card means (it looks like the WiFi signal icon on the iPhone, turned sideways) is still relatively small.

We do have it in the UK, but it's called "Contactless" and has a £20 ($32?) limit per transaction.

Contactless Statistics

The key figures for the month of May are:

44.7m contactless cards have been issued that can be used to make a contactless payment. These cards are split between debit (27.2m) and credit / charge cards (17.5m). This is an increase of 2.3% on the previous month and 32.4% over the year.

£146.1m was spent in the UK this month using a contactless card. This is an increase of 18.7% on the previous month and 218.1% over the year. The value is split between debit (£127.4m) and credit / charge cards (£18.7m).

22.1m contactless transactions were made this month. This is an increase of 18.8% on the previous month and 210.5% over the year. The volume is split between debit (£22.1m) and credit / charge cards (£2.9m).

188,190 [terminals or outlets] are available in the UK where contactless cardholders can make a contactless transaction. This is an increase of 3% on the previous month and 21% over the year.

On average, each contactless transaction is for £6.60p. This is split £6.63p on a debit card and £6.37p on a credit / charge card.

On average, each [terminal or outlet] has processed 117 transactions and taken £776.

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/contactless_contactless_statistics/index.asp

psycosis

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
'Capability' is not 'built-in'. They have to have the trapazoid-like option attachment on top.

The new ones being installed are skipping that.

That is partially true. The older MX8xx series have NFC and EMV as plug in options. The current MX9xx series have NFC and EMV built right into the device.

Stores don't have to switch to the new pinpads until Oct 2015. By then more and more of the new devices will be available and les and less of the old models will be available.

psycosis

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014

If Apple was to implement a whole new mobile payment system, I see no reason why they would use NFC. NFC only makes sense because the system for retailers and payment providers is already in place to support NFC. Nothing new to create. Once you are creating a whole new payment system, the protocol can be anything and it makes no sense to use one that requires new hardware for their phone.

If they go NFC for payments, it is to support the existing infrastructure instead of creating a new one. This is actually my guess why it may be true. They have spent 2 years with no new infrastructure to speak of. A giant expansion of the current infrastructure is coming. Maybe they decided to just jump aboard.

Last edited:

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
commodorepet said:
Verifone website - EMV countertop readers. 3 of 4 mention NFC capability on this page alone.

http://www.verifone.com/solutions-services/emv/
'Capability' is not 'built-in'. They have to have the trapazoid-like option attachment on top.

The new ones being installed are skipping that.

verifone.com said:
The VX 520 is a reliable, rugged countertop device that's built to last. It handles encryption, decryption and processing at lightning speeds thanks to its powerful processor and expandable memory. Integrated NFC capabilities support alternative payments
verifone.com said:
The VX 680 is a small, full-function, portable, handheld payment device with a large, color, touch screen. NFC-enabled for contactless card to mobile device payments.
verifone.com said:
VeriFone’s VX 805 Contactless PIN pad provides precisely what you need, and nothing you don’t. This incredibly convenient payment device allows merchants to process a range of transactions through multiple connectivity options, while offering the latest NFC technology for mobile payments.
verifone.com said:
The future-proof VX 820 supports credit, debit and EMV transactions, and includes integrated NFC/contactless technology for alternative payments.

It would seem that all of models on the page linked to by commodorepet have NFC as standard.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Verifone is probably the largest supplier of payment devices in the USA, the stores that are upgrading to their EMV reader, do not have NFC built in.

Some stores have discarded their Verifone NFC readers and replaced with Verifone EMV readers. NFC is being phased out.

Yes but does the NFC chip used selected by Apple have Card Emulation Mode?

That would let the phone be compatible with EMV devices instead of the other way around.
Spec sheets seems to suggest it would be.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
not another wiring schematic ... this had people up in arms over "1 GB of RAM" :roll eyes:

I really see no need for NFC, with everyone that has android and the ability to use it, i have never seen 1 person use it in real life ... ever.
Maybe not in your part of the world, but FYI the US represents only 10 percent of worldwide smartphone ownership, and this share is quickly decreasing.

You can be sure that Apple isn't blind to the fact that out of the 500 million iPhone they've sold so far, near 80% of them have been sold outside of the US.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Verifone is probably the largest supplier of payment devices in the USA, the stores that are upgrading to their EMV reader, do not have NFC built in.

Verifone fully supports and promotes NFC.

nfc_verifone2.png

From their website, you can see that they highly suggest choosing POS terminals with NFC:

nfc_verifone.png

Some stores have discarded their Verifone NFC readers and replaced with Verifone EMV readers. NFC is being phased out.

What stores? It would be very short-sighted to buy lots of POS terminals that would have to be replaced later as more people start using contactless payment methods.

Is it possible that you're confusing replacing older RFID credit card (e.g. PayPass) readers with EMV contactless readers?

EMV contactless terminals use the ISO 14443 contactless card comm protocol for mobile device payments, which NFC is derived from and compatible with.

Last edited:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
No. EMV (Chip and PIN) is the payment standard for the foreseeable future.

NFC is being adopted in almost all POS terminals in 2015... So the claim

"I'm sticking with what I said a year ago..".in two years iBeacons will blow away NFC"...in another year we shall see."

This is nuts to think a cross platform technology NFC Being used worldwide already is going to get taken by iBeacons is a pipe dream and apple knows it.

NFC in the 6, along with the hundreds of other android phones that already have it.

Chip and pin is the standard for card swiping, NFC is for mobile payments.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
No, trust me, I do. iPhone 6 will have NFC. Known it for ages now.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the moment anyone says "Trust me", is the moment I lose interest, as IMO resorting to an emotional request instead for trust, of offering up hard proof means the person has no proof whatsoever.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
not another wiring schematic ... this had people up in arms over "1 GB of RAM" :roll eyes:

I really see no need for NFC, with everyone that has android and the ability to use it, i have never seen 1 person use it in real life ... ever.

My take is that NFC has not been properly deployed both on the reader and the tag end. Symbol corporation (now a part of Motorola) had several scathing things to say about NFC offerings a decade ago when it was promoted as a "bar-code replacement."

First, the current generation of tags are the cheapest design out there without any security to keep rogue scanners from accessing them.

Second, readers also have little or no security to keep scan access from compromise. A simple private / public key scanning protocol could solve a lot of this. As far as digital wallets goes, a simple press of a home button on a mobile device to activate the digital wallet keeps rogue scanners from accessing them.

I'd love to see the Apple NFC launched with "Yeah, NFC has been done before but they sucked." as Steve did when talking about MP3 players.

----------

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the moment anyone says "Trust me", is the moment I lose interest, as IMO resorting to an emotional request instead for trust, of offering up hard proof means the person has no proof whatsoever.

I trust posts on this forum as far as I can thrown the contributor in their futon chair.

----------

Once you go tap, you'll never go back.

When you digital wallet is drained by a rogue scanner after walking through a busy shopping mall, you'd be surprised how quickly you give it up.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I don't have any tangible proof, that's right, but that's because I never captured any. I saw what I saw.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
NFC is being adopted in almost all POS terminals in 2015... So the claim

"I'm sticking with what I said a year ago..".in two years iBeacons will blow away NFC"...in another year we shall see."

This is nuts to think a cross platform technology NFC Being used worldwide already is going to get taken by iBeacons is a pipe dream and apple knows it.

NFC in the 6, along with the hundreds of other android phones that already have it.

Chip and pin is the standard for card swiping, NFC is for mobile payments.

Some people even suggested that the public transportation networks all around the world (who are currently using NFC for tickets/fare payments) would switch to some Apple-only technology that works with only Apple's mobile phones and ditch NFC and it's contactless cards entirely because "it's a dying technology".

stulowe2009

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
In hong Kong NFC is handy. Everyone uses octopus cards for all public transport and for small cash transactions in most shops. Octopus uses NFC but you can't currently use your phone in place of your card just yet (its coming) but you can just tap your card on the back of your android phone and it shows current balance and recent transactions, I do this often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.