Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Which goes to show how mature the smartphone sector is when there's hardly any mindblowing innovation anymore but rather each year results in incremental upgrades. It's also telling that the most exciting feature of the new iPhone's are the new colors. This has been going on for several years now.
Agree. I think the last changes we’ll see are going to be: slightly rounded edges (iPhone 15 pro), action button (15 pro), smaller Dynamic Island or just a “dynamic spot” (17 pro), and finally when both the Face ID cameras and the FaceTime camera are beneath the screen (19 pro?) we’ll reach an universal look with an uniform screen. Maybe they add a fourth camera, but I’m not sure if or when they will do it. And of course, eventually, the microLED display. And that’s it.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Which goes to show how mature the smartphone sector is when there's hardly any mindblowing innovation anymore but rather each year results in incremental upgrades. It's also telling that the most exciting feature of the new iPhone's are the new colors. This has been going on for several years now.
Yeah generally, technology is currently at its peak, it’s not just Apple. Phones have been the same for a few years and more people are starting to hold onto their phones for longer years because there aren’t enough compelling reasons to upgrade anymore.

But just like cars and computers, you don’t need to change them every year, and the same thing applies on phones right now. I understand that having the latest tech is cool and all, but even with such incremental upgrades, there will always be something new every year. So yeah, I think upgrading every 3-4 generations has just become a more reasonable choice to most people.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yeah generally, technology is currently at its peak, it’s not just Apple. Phones have been the same for a few years and more people are starting to hold onto their phones for longer years because there aren’t enough compelling reasons to upgrade anymore.

But just like cars and computers, you don’t need to change them every year, and the same thing applies on phones right now. I understand that having the latest tech is cool and all, but there will always be something new every year. So yeah, I think upgrading every 3-4 generations has just become a more reasonable choice to most people.
Every 3 - 4 years… or even more. My next iPhone will probably be either a 15 pro or a regular 16, and once I jump into it, I’ll probably use it for at least 7-8 years. If Apple keeps supporting it, of course.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Every 3 - 4 years… or even more. My next iPhone will probably be either a 15 pro or a regular 16, and once I jump into it, I’ll probably use it for at least 7-8 years. If Apple keeps supporting it, of course.
Yeah, I’m also planning to keep my 14 Pro Max as long as Apple keeps supporting it and it remains usable to me. I’ll probably keep it for 5 years at the very least. As long as the phone serves all my needs, I wouldn’t really see any reason to upgrade. I know the battery will degrade overtime, but getting a battery replacement is a lot cheaper than getting a new phone.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Recently someone in another thread had remarked how there's still innovation in the smartphone sector. That gave me a good laugh. We are well past the time where some innovative tech gets introduced to the smartphone. I have never owned an iPhone but plan on eventually buying one.

This year I have NO choice but to upgrade to the latest Pixel phone, probably the Pixel 8 instead of the 8 Pro because I have $200 Google store credit and I have a Pixel 6 which I can't wait to get rid of even though I love the Pixel 6 coral color.

The following year I will probably be looking at an iPhone just to change things up.

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Recently someone in another thread had remarked how there's still innovation in the smartphone sector. That gave me a good laugh. We are well past the time where some innovative tech gets introduced to the smartphone. I have never owned an iPhone but plan on eventually buying one.

This year I have NO choice but to upgrade to the latest Pixel phone, probably the Pixel 8 instead of the 8 Pro because I have $200 Google store credit and I have a Pixel 6 which I can't wait to get rid of even though I love the Pixel 6 coral color.

The following year I will probably be looking at an iPhone just to change things up.
I never owned an iPhone until this year either. Just got the 14 Pro Max a few months ago as my first iPhone, but before that I’ve always been an Android user.

I switched to the Apple ecosystem this year just to kind of try something new because I was starting to get bored of Android/Windows. I’m really enjoying the experience so far. I also got myself a MacBook earlier this year before I even got the iPhone.
I might as well try the Apple Watch maybe in the next year or something.. but I’m still not sure about that.

Hands-on and close-up photos iPhone 15 cases. 👀

1692994484453.png

1692994492992.png

1692994500090.png

1692994507509.png

Credit: Majin Bu

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
I never owned an iPhone until this year either. Just got the 14 Pro Max a few months ago as my first iPhone, but before that I’ve always been an Android user.

I switched to the Apple ecosystem this year just to kind of try something new because I was starting to get bored of Android/Windows. I’m really enjoying the experience so far. I also got myself a MacBook earlier this year before I even got the iPhone.
I might as well try the Apple Watch maybe in the next year or something.. but I’m still not sure about that.
I would definitely recommend the Apple Watch! I absolutely love mine

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.