Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpace32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Dream scenario here: what if in the future Apple Silicon world you could run your typical desktop from a mobile device? IE: plug your "iPhone 12" device into a 27" 4k monitor using USB-C on both devices and use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse to bring up a full macOS envionrment? Has this idea been explored in the forums?

Yes yes this has been done by other companies before (unsuccessfully in my mind) but I think Apple is putting together the perfect scenario for it now?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Dream scenario here: what if in the future Apple Silicon world you could run your typical desktop from a mobile device? IE: plug your "iPhone 12" device into a 27" 4k monitor using USB-C on both devices and use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse to bring up a full macOS envionrment? Has this idea been explored in the forums?

Yes yes this has been done by other companies before (unsuccessfully in my mind) but I think Apple is putting together the perfect scenario for it now?

Honestly I would settle for only Screen Sharing on my iPad.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

You already have Sidecar, which allows you to use an iPad as an additional monitor for your Mac. I will set up my MBA and iPad as a dual screen setup when I'm at a coffee shop and need to get some work done.

Reactions: jerryk

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017

the problem is usb c kinda fast heat . samsung abandon the ubuntu dex mode. Apple take high risk on emulation .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.