Rust on my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnJie x, Mar 28, 2016.

1. AnJie x macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone 6S Plus in November 2015. In the back and near the sim tray there are several rust marks. I used a back cover since day 01 so I couldn't have scratched the phone nor matter what. Was there any other cases like this? Would Apple replace my phone? I only have the 1 year warranty they provide with purchase.

On another note, does apple cover accidental screen damages for free during the 1 year warranty period or would i need to buy a apple care protection plan?

2. blesio macrumors regular

Apple does not cover accidental screen damage during the 1 year warranty period. Mechanical damage is never covered by warranty.

3. Newtons Apple, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Got any pictures? You phone is aluminum and should not rust. It can corrode. Accidental screen damages are not covered under the standard warranty.

If you have not removed your case since day one you likely got grit or debris between the case and phone and that may have harmed the finish.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Photos, please?

5. Gav2k, Mar 28, 2016

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Rust... Photos plz because aluminium cannot 'rust'

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Don't think you have rusty aluminum. Maybe spilled your lunch on it? :)

7. AnJie x thread starter macrumors newbie

Whatever this is? I always used a back cover so I didn't get it scratched. So yeah?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    I remove the case and wipe the phone once a while.

Attached Files:

8. nameste macrumors regular

9. Newtons Apple, Mar 28, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Yep another thread on this. It is almost like some fungus is eating the anodized surface. Strange indeed. I have seen similar markings inside of lenses that has a fungus eating the coatings.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

11. AnJie x thread starter macrumors newbie

Would apple do a replacement if I do a a complaint to them? It's still under the 1 year warranty.

12. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

Anything's possible, but why do you expect them to? You're responsible for physical damage or wear and tear not hte manufacturer.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It depends on whether they deem it to be "normal wear and tear" or "manufacturer defect." This determination may depend on that Apple employee on that day.

That being said, it doesn't seem typical and hasn't been seen often on out outside of one very long thread which was already mentioned above. My gut says you could get a replacement. Just be honest and polite.

14. AnJie x thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    I used a back cover since day 01. There's no chance of me scratching my phone.

15. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

You can't prove that to them or anyone else. Can you? It's just your word. You may be telling the truth, but then someone else who has never used a cover may take a phone like that to Apple with a cover on that he just bought.

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It's a problem many people are suffering from. It has to do with defects in the anodization process. My phone just started to show minor cracking near the screws on the bottom.

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's 'pitting' and can happen to any anodised aluminium surface. Usually seen on older MacBooks.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

These are not scratches and hopefully the Apple people will know that and do the right thing.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I was thinking, it reminds me of the MBP's issues on this.

The OP still may have trouble convincing Apple that its not his fault.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Technically it is his fault lol

21. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I have the same problem on my 6S Plus, mainly on the text where it says iPhone S blah blah. I always use leather apple cases so tbh I just ignore it/forget it's even there.

EDIT: Here is a pic

[​IMG]

22. Techexp2 macrumors member

Hi,

It is not a rust and i think you can take it to the Apple store

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Oh Poo! I just checked and I have something similar but on the left edge of my iPhone. Very light. Thought it was a scuff at first but there's another not on the edge I see. I've always used cases since day one. I did use a hard plastic case for a couple of days but quickly took it off and inspected for damage and there was none.

I still have my 6 Plus packaged up somewhere to be sold or given to my sister-in-law if she decides she can't stand her 16 GB storage struggle anymore. That has no marks at all. Oh well I guess I'll be heading over to the thread linked to this one.

My iPhones are always cased and inspected and polished when cases are changed. So I'm going to take a chance and trust the OP on this. I'm currently using an Apple case.

24. blesio macrumors regular

Just one question. How humid is it where you live?

25. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Still looks like a fungus eating the anodized surface. Seen these little "trails" on the inside of lenses that were stored in humid conditions.